Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > The Fan Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Fan Forum The perfect place to arrange match meet-ups, post your photos, videos, wallpaper designs, animations and other stuff related to Deportivo La Coruña.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-03-2017, 22:04   #1
Diligent
Veteran

Peña Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,873
Diligent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Las Palmas and Eibar

Had the pleasure to watch a couple of away games earlier this year.

Las Palmas

If the stadium is full it might have an atmosphere, but with the Estadio Gran Canaria only half full it seemed a souless place situated out of the city centre. I guess the home fans really miss the Estadio Insular. Considering the distance travelled, the club were well supported by peñas from A Coruña, Verin, Madrid and Andalusia.

With regard to the match, we were very poor and struggled to get a foothold in the game. Apart from Andone's classy finish I didn't come away with many positives from the game.

Eibar

A week later I travelled with a friend who I haven't been in touch with for about five years. We based ourselves in Bilbao and then hired a car for matchday towards the small town of Eibar. There were plenty of bars suurounding the ground where both sets of fans were mingling together, plus I noticed lot of Depor fans wearing berets with the club badge . The Ipurua was a near sellout with Depor taking their full allocation of tickets, which made for a cracking atmosphere inside a small compact ground.

Offensively we seemed to be OK, but we defended atrociously throughout the whole game. If we took our chances we may have deserved a point, but we cannot defend like that and expect something out of the game.

A great couple of trips, and hopefully try and fit the Villarreal in at the end of the season.

Last edited by Diligent : 10-03-2017 at 12:39.
Diligent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 00:21   #2
Blue_Nation
Veteran
Peña Member
 
Blue_Nation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,002
Blue_Nation is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks a lot for sharing, Miles!

You're perfectly right guessing that Las Palmas fans miss their old stadium, no comparison with the atmosphere they used to have there. Sadly, during many years the old stadium was in ruins, completely abandoned, only visited by gangs and drug addicts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aumo9_z9q_s

Recently it has been reformed and converted in an urban park: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yop3RXP7TkU


Eibar must have been a nice place to visit, I think they still having yet that spirit and scent of the "real" football that you can only find nowadays in non professional/low categories. Fresh air in this age of "modern football".

*Edit: I've found this brilliant video report by Sid Lowe about Eibar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXLU8K1bwPw

Last edited by Blue_Nation : 10-03-2017 at 02:03.
Blue_Nation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 00:33   #3
Rack
Veteran
Peña Member
 
Rack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 53º1"56'N, 7º18'0"W
Posts: 8,108
Rack is on a distinguished road
Default

Two exceptional posts that cement why this forum is valid and informative. Just wondering Miles, how many grounds have you visited in Spain? Love hearing about people's experiences of grounds everywhere. Muchos gracias!
Rack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:36   #4
Diligent
Veteran

Peña Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,873
Diligent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Thanks for the links Xose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Nation
Thanks a lot for sharing, Miles!

You're perfectly right guessing that Las Palmas fans miss their old stadium, no comparison with the atmosphere they used to have there. Sadly, during many years the old stadium was in ruins, completely abandoned, only visited by gangs and drug addicts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aumo9_z9q_s

Recently it has been reformed and converted in an urban park: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yop3RXP7TkU

I think the Sociedad fans miss the Atocha in the same way. Both clubs had tight compact grounds where the stands were close to the pitch and now there in arenas which have no purpose for football IMO.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Nation
Eibar must have been a nice place to visit, I think they still having yet that spirit and scent of the "real" football that you can only find nowadays in non professional/low categories. Fresh air in this age of "modern football".

*Edit: I've found this brilliant video report by Sid Lowe about Eibar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXLU8K1bwPw

In my spare time I do a little bit of ground hopping through the Non League here in England. Sometimes there's only three men and a dog watching the game, but then you come across a couple of gems. Take Dulwich Hamlet for example, this club are in the 7th tier of the english pyramid. They regularly get between 1,500-2,000 through the turnstiles for home games . The quality of football is not the best but you see the passion on and off the pitch. Thoroughly recommend a visit to Champion Hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack
Two exceptional posts that cement why this forum is valid and informative. Just wondering Miles, how many grounds have you visited in Spain? Love hearing about people's experiences of grounds everywhere. Muchos gracIas!

Thanks Kevin for the comments, seriously lost count on the grounds I've been to, but I will continue to post on future visits. I hope you noticed I didn't mention once the word coffee in the original post

Last edited by Diligent : 10-03-2017 at 12:51.
Diligent is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LIGA: 18-05-2014 | 12h00 | matchday 39 | Depor 1 - Eibar 1 | post-match thread Rack Deportivo 27 21-05-2014 10:00
LIGA: 11-05-2014 | 18h15 | matchday 38 | Alavés v Depor | pre-match thread caabrego Deportivo 20 11-05-2014 14:32


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:40.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.