Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > World Football
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

World Football For other football that's not related to Depor. For example: the Primera División, Segunda División A, Segunda División B, the Champions League, EURO 2008, the World Cup 2010, Italy, England, Germany, Turkey etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27-09-2009, 23:30   #31
vink
Peña Member

vink is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it just me, or is the quality of La Liga quite poor this year?
Old 27-09-2009, 23:35   #32
deporik
Chief of Police

Peña Member

deporik is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by vink

Hmmm strange!!! I found myself asking myself the exact same question earlier. I kinda came to the conclusion that maybe it's still a bit early to judge but most teams (barring the "big 2") are really struggling for any consistancy. Most teams go from looking that they could challenge for the European places to looking like they'll be lucky to be safe by the start of May or vice versa.
Old 28-09-2009, 00:02   #33
caabrego
Administrator
Peña Member

caabrego has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorg
Btw, who are those people in Valencia's defensive line?
Dealbert?
Mathieu?
Read the transfer topic 09/10, you will find all the exits and arivals
Old 28-09-2009, 01:44   #34
vink
Peña Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deporik
Hmmm strange!!! I found myself asking myself the exact same question earlier. I kinda came to the conclusion that maybe it's still a bit early to judge but most teams (barring the "big 2") are really struggling for any consistancy. Most teams go from looking that they could challenge for the European places to looking like they'll be lucky to be safe by the start of May or vice versa.

I've seen a couple matches, none of them RM or Barca, and the quality of play has been weirdly lacklustre, especially when it comes to defense. A lot of sloppy goals, and much less technical play. It's much more direct than it has been in recent years. I'd love to see some stats about how many goals are coming from direct play rather than set pieces. I'd bet that it's more to the former.
The blog FourFourTwo is calling anything that isn't RM and Barca Primera B. That's pretty funny.
Old 28-09-2009, 08:15   #35
The DK Blanquiazul
Peña Member

The DK Blanquiazul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vink
I think yes, for many reasons.
First of all, the downfall of Valencia, Atletico and Villarreal, the main reasons for La Liga reaching such a high general level. When they fail, it's quite a big part of the top.
Secondly, the promoted teams. Didn't see Zaragoza v Getafe yesterday (however saw all the other 9), but while Xerez got their first point, Tenerife are fighting at home, and Zaragoza should be capable of something, these teams are generally poorer than last year. Add to the fact that Racing, Almeria, Valladolid and Malaga all have gotten worse compared to last year, and we're seeing why teams like Mallorca and Athletic (and us for that matter) have been able to get so many points already despite not playing that well. And generally, the power is shifting the wrong way as the big two (+ maybe the next couple of teams as well) are getting more powerful, and the bottom teams less powerful, which also means that there will be less players to bring a decent style of playing. A team like Valladolid have no options but to kick long balls up to Manucho.

But, I still find the league very exciting, especially from our perspective.

EDIT: I've just found out, that the La Liga Fourfourtwo-blog is actually a bit amusing. Nice.

Last edited by The DK Blanquiazul : 28-09-2009 at 08:58.
Old 28-09-2009, 10:07   #36
Paul
Peña Member

Paul is on a distinguished road

The idea that the quality of the league has decreased is quite subjective. But compared to last year, the goals have not dried up. In the first 5 weeks of last season, there were 123 goals scored compared to 143 so far this season. When we then take the goals scored by Madrid and Barca - 28 last season and 32 this season, the percentage of goals scored by these teams of the total number has decreased from 22.76% to 22.38%.

So the goals this season have actually increased while the dominance of the two big teams is nothing new.
Old 28-09-2009, 10:14   #37
ggeorg

Peña Member

ggeorg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
while the dominance of the two big teams is nothing new.

I don't remember any of the last 10-15 years, that the dominance of the 2, has been so huge. That was the case in the last months of the previous season as well
Old 28-09-2009, 10:19   #38
The DK Blanquiazul
Peña Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
So the goals this season have actually increased while the dominance of the two big teams is nothing new.
But do goals mean better offenses or worse defenses? In terms of quality, I think it's rather worrying that teams like Valladolid and Gijon can put two past Valencia, but you could probably turn it around as well and say it's good that the smaller teams can compete with a team like that.

But well, as quality is relative it will of course always be subjective, I just agree with what vink says.

Old 28-09-2009, 10:38   #39
Paul
Peña Member

Paul is on a distinguished road

Sevilla seems to be playing well. I think Atletico and Valencia are just in bad form at the moment. They strung together some good plays in their match. They should start playing much better football soon. Villarreal, however, don't seem to being doing too well under Valverde. If they're below 15th by round 10, they'll sack him.
Old 29-09-2009, 10:41   #40
Lebn8r
Retired Admin
Peña Member

Lebn8r is an unknown quantity at this point

Am I the only person who believes the current squad can snatch a UCL spot? After 5 games played (I know I know "its too early to predict" blah blah blah), I truly believe we can outplay the likes of Valencia, Villarreal and Atletico Madrid to snare the last UCL position.

- Villarreal have brought in some new faces (and let some go), a new coach who at the moment is struggling to find a quality balance in the team sheet.

- Valencia are really struggling for consistency at the moment (mind you, as are about 18 others teams!) and I believe they have defensive deficiencies. When I say defensive deficiencies, it may take them some time to gel. They didn't have Moretti and Miguel playing, not to mention Marchena playing in CM! In addition to this, they've sold Albiol and brought Moya from Mallorca as GK.

Atletico Madrid - Struggling the moment, Abel Resino's position at the helm is doubt as the days go by without a win. I still don't believe they are defensively sound. They had a good keeper in Leo Franco but sold him to Galatasaray (hopefully spelt that correctly - advanced apologies) and brought in Sergio Asenjo from Valladolid who I believe is still developing as a GK. They also sold a seasoned Heitinga too, Perea looks out of place at right back, Juanito appears to be struggling with the pace this year and Ujfalusi is being overworked.

It will definately be an interesting first 13 weeks of the season. If we can perform and achieve some positive results to get it decent position early, I do truly believe we can do it!

DE-POR-TI-VO
DE-POR-TI-VO
DE-POR-TI-VO

Last edited by Lebn8r : 29-09-2009 at 10:45.
Old 29-09-2009, 12:01   #41
hari

Peña Member

hari is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to hari

dont know if it is too early to call, but we have enough potential to match any team other than RM, Barca and Sevilla.. Valencia and Atletico surely have better offensve potential but their defence is shaky and also there is a big pressure of expectations over them..
Old 29-09-2009, 17:24   #42
dj-origenal

dj-origenal is on a distinguished road

Saying that our current team can outplay the likes of Valencia, Atletico and Villarreal is too much optimism IMO, or maybe more...

After 5 matches now (very early to predict..) we have 9 out of 15 points which is good considering the team performance, our team looks like the same of the last years, when we score first we usually win (Malaga, Xerez, Villarreal) when the opponent scores first we loose (Madrid, Espanyol)...Our problems still the same :

1- Our centre midfield is clearly weak, with a Sergio who IMO (all respect) has not many more to offer to this Deportivo, I simply don't have faith in Tomas, JR can help but obviously lack the talent, still to see more from Juca..

2- The right wing position remains a weak spot, P.Alvarez is not good enough we should look seriously as soon as possible for reinforcements....

3- As all the world know, we don't have a real/quality number '9' who can kill games, we didn't pay the price of this lack against Villarreal (we were very lucky) but I am sure we will pay for it in some games to come...

As for the others, of course they have their problems but they are far ahead in terms of quality IMO, to say the least Villa, Silva, Forlan, Aguero, Rossi, Cazorla can solve a lot of their problems.... Who can solve our problems...??

Last edited by dj-origenal : 30-09-2009 at 12:26.
Old 03-10-2009, 20:54   #43
The DK Blanquiazul
Peña Member

Barca with a one-goal win!
Shocking, yet boring stuff.

Now, next chapter in the Pathetico-opera with Abel Resino as the main star next.

EDIT: That was quick. Jurado 1-0.
David De Gea cleans up his own mess. Very poor taken penalty, though.

Last edited by The DK Blanquiazul : 03-10-2009 at 21:18.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:31   #44
vink
Peña Member

Our defense is stronger than Atletico's and Valencia's. I think that really means that, though we have problems scoring goals, we will be able to pull draws out when other teams with weak defenses leak goals and possibly lose points. A point here and there is better than none at all.

Barca with 17 shots, 7 on goal. Almeria with goose eggs.
Old 04-10-2009, 16:59   #45
The DK Blanquiazul
Peña Member

Watching two of our 'rivals'' games atm.

At El Molinon, Mallorca can thank idiotic defending and bad finishing for being in front. At the penalty, everything should've been under control by Gregory, no danger, but somehow he managed to lose the ball near the area before then faulting the Mallorca-player. Gijon have had more chances, and should definitely have scored once. But well, still 45 mins for that.

At El Madrigal, Villarreal continue to be quite poor. Their defense is incredibly shaky, and the only reason why they are probably gonna take it is because of some clumsy defending from Forlin, which meant the red card. Through ball, and because of his poor marking he just takes down Nilmar (or Rossi, or whoever that was - these things are hard to remember when watching Chelsea v Liverpool at the same time even though that one has been boring). However, as mentioned, shaky defense, several times Espanyol have had good opportunities and they even hit the crossbar, although that was a Villarreal-defender heading it towards his own net.

Anyway, could seem like they'll both take full points. I have more hope in Gijon than Espanyol, though. At some point, Rossi has got to be able to shoot it correctly.

Closed Thread