Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > World Football
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

World Football For other football that's not related to Depor. For example: the Primera División, Segunda División A, Segunda División B, the Champions League, EURO 2008, the World Cup 2010, Italy, England, Germany, Turkey etc.

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 21:27   #871
Filip
Administrator
Peña Member

Filip is an unknown quantity at this point

spain deserved it, no doubt about that
they'll win the trophy
Old 07-07-2010, 21:40   #872
Paul
Peña Member

Paul is on a distinguished road

After all the chances they created, it was a header from a defender off a corner that got them through.

Still worried about Spain's trouble in putting away chances.

From the very small glipse we saw of Torres, he looked alright. I think he might start in the final.
Old 07-07-2010, 21:43   #873
Adi
Peña Member

Adi is off the scale

Ufff, Spain won and I like it! It will be a war in my house at sunday My wife support Holland
Old 07-07-2010, 21:43   #874
Shelvin
Peña Member

Shelvin is on a distinguished road

Best game for spain so far in the WC. I liked their passing and their style of playing but they did look vulnerable on the german attacks! all in all well done! Pedro played really well!Spain have now become only the third team to complete 3,000 passes at a single World Cup. (Brazil, 1994 & Netherlands, 1998). Bring on the Dutch!
Old 07-07-2010, 21:47   #875
zOrg

zOrg is off the scale

Congrats spain you deserved it! We havent no time to create our passing play. this ****ing paul but iam proud of our Team. Maybe in 4 years is the right time for us!?
Old 07-07-2010, 22:07   #876
Adi
Peña Member

Adi is off the scale

Germany played well. Congrats to You too!
Old 08-07-2010, 01:46   #877
Riazor warriors
Veteran
Peña Member

Riazor warriors is on a distinguished road

we'll have a new world cup winner....thats great 4 me... deserved win spain...well done paul
about van Bommel i thought im the only one that i hate him so much im really surprised how he escaped from red cards 100 times if im the referee 4 the final i'll give him a yellow b4 i start the Game..
Old 08-07-2010, 04:59   #878
hari

Peña Member

hari is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to hari

Hooray.. excellent passing game from Spain which was the only team seemed to be interested in playing.. i thought Germany defended really well and cut-off many of their thru balls but in the end Spain's efforts paid off.. i was afraid that they wud get tired or give it up after putting soo much effort.. yesterday they showed real character and the central defense stood like a real rock.. particularly Puyol.. i hope they'll start with Pedro again.. only Germany can withstand such huge pressure and even they lost it in the end.. Vamos Spain.. thrash those dirty Dutch ..
Old 08-07-2010, 06:46   #879
AP
Veteran

Peña Member

AP is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to AP Send a message via Skype™ to AP

What a poor finish of the tournament! After such a great start we now had two megaboring semifinals (even 5 goals in the first one could not make it more exciting).

I understand people who support Spain as their national team. But those who love the attacking style of play must support any opponent of Spaniards! In Russia we have a popular among fans and other teenagers expression that can be traslated into English like a dull sh.t. I never dare to put the mentioned words and "national team Spain" inside one sentence... But what can I do if they play this way???!!! Pass to Villa - strike, pass to Villa - strike, pass to Villa - strike... Nice attacking strategy dammit!

So anyone but Spain at this World Cup... Never thought I'm gonna say it some day but Hup Holland Hup!!! At least one of Brasil-Argentina beaters must lift the cup!!!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:20   #880
Crocodile_Dundee
Veteran

Peña Member

Crocodile_Dundee is an unknown quantity at this point

Great that Spain are in the final and I hope they go on and lift the trophy but I do feel Del Bosque has been a little too cautious at times. I would have loved to have seen Silva or Navas in place of one of the destroyers in midfield but their in the final so I guess he'll have the last laugh.

This world cup has been a little disappointing in that it's all been about not conceeding instead of taking the initiative and trying to score. Euro 2008 was definetly the far better tournament in that regard.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:15   #881
Leon
Banned
Peña MemberBanned

Leon is an unknown quantity at this point

I just read some comments here.

First of all, a question to Gregory: how are Belgium doing this tournament?

It’s great to keep up the Belgium-Netherlands rivalry as we Dutch have with the Germans and celebrate every German exit. But you have kind of a strange opinion on the BRA-NED game. Brazil had been playing intimidating football at the back and in midfield during the whole tournament. Dunga was acting like crazy at every decision. Robinho more occupied with the ref than his awful tournament. It’s just ridiculous how you wanted Melo to do more damage than he did to Robben. Fortunately the majority at this forum don’t agree with you. I'm not saying that the Dutch were saints, not at all.

You Belgians had your share of theatre with Vercauteren (1985) en Staelens (1998) against the Dutch. We could have learned those days.

It’s fine you’re anti-Holland and you’re now exploding because they’re in the final. I’d say: relax! It’s just a game.

The Dutch always were known for good football and an empty prize cabinet. I don’t see a difference now between them and giants like Italy, France, Brazil and Germany from the past. It’s all aimed at results and a lot is afforded, but fortunately never gets to the low level of Portugal.

It says a lot about this World Cup. We couldn’t even call France and Italy, who played the 2006 finals, teams in this tournament. I really expected something more of Serbia and Nigeria in the group stage, while Ivory Coast had the toughest group.

In the next round, semi-favorites England and Portugal left the tournament and overall nobody was shocked. Unfortunately Chile met Brazil. The nicest thing was Ghana getting trough, as hope for Africa.

Only Germany impressed in the Quarter Finals with their 4-0 victory against Argentina. But it said a lot about Argentina being a team. Both URU/GHA, NED/BRA and PAR/ESP could have gone the other way.

Personally, I think the Semi-Finals were fair. In the end, Uruguay were brave, but didn’t create much. The Germans now didn’t have the score in their advantage, and it was just a matter of time before they encountered their faith.

The Dutch aren’t playing impressive. Spain don’t have their form of the 2008 World Cup. But hasn’t it been always like that with World Cup finals? Italy stepped up their game in 2006, but nobody remembers France’s games and they were really poor in the group phase. Brazil were simply the best in 2002, it says a lot about that tournament that the Germans were in the final. France took a very bumpy road towards the 1998 final. Brazil played like in 1994, when they won it. Italy in 1994 were a joke. Germany only shined once in 1990 World Cup (against Yugoslavia), dived their way into the final and even won that one with a dive. Argentina were crapy in 1990. And thanked Maradona in 1986.

There will always be someting to tell about the teams playing the final.

Not Spain nor Netherlands will be able to lift the throphy while the world is impressed. That's just football since the 1990s. There's no time and too much pressure (and too much risk) to build national teams playing good football.

The Dutch were serious and never impressed in the group phase, and achieved three minimal wins in the knock-out phase. On the other hand, they have been not beaten for years, don't have a major league and never have won the trophy. Must they be the only team in the world to prefer good football instead of results? Maybe the world of football is just shocked that, after Brazil gave up fine football in the 1990s, now the Dutch also have done that.

Neither Spain has won the trophy and they also haven't been beaten much in the past 4 years. But they do have a major league. They share with the Dutch that their group phase wasn't impressive: losing against Switserland, not scoring against 10-men Chile (and needing an ultra-rare goal of Villa) and just scoring twice against the worst team in the tournament (Honduras). Spain couldn't break open Portugal and the goal was offside. The Paraguay match could have gone the other way. And they didn't outplay the Germans last night. Just seven goals of them, and a lot of Villa-dependency. Looking at their stats, we even't could call them a 'boring' team.... At least they're very effective.

If Spains wins it, they deserve it. If Holland win it, they deserve it. Had Germany or Uruguay reached the final and won it, they had deserved it. That's not the same as playing the best football. In many tournaments, the team playing best football didn't win it (Netherlands 1974, Brazil 1982, Italy 1990, Bulgaria/Romania 1994, Croatia/Netherlands 1998, Spain 2002?, Germany 2006?)

Last edited by Leon : 08-07-2010 at 09:23.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:15   #882
hari

Peña Member

hari is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to hari

i hope Holland will get thrashed in the final.. firstly during the build-up play for the first goal by Van Bronckhorst, Van bommel almost broke an Uruguayan player's foot.. it was a foul 200% and 100% a yellow.. but nothing was called and in the end they scored, wont u call that lucky? the second goal was marginally offside by Van Persie (i guess).. he didnt touch the ball but was interfering the play.. its ok those cud go either way, but having a player like Van Bommel/Robinho/Dani Alves in your team is enuf to hate the team.. he committed another foul for a tackle from behind on Sebastian Fernandez where there was no intention to play the ball.. those were not marginal decisions and it clear .. i was neutral abt Dutch at the beginning of the WC but not now after seeing all these.. had Uruguay got one or two of their offside decisions right, they cud have scored as well and then one cant say they were ineffective..
Old 08-07-2010, 10:18   #883
Leon
Banned
Peña MemberBanned

Leon is an unknown quantity at this point

- There will be a new World Cup winner this Sunday. There have been seven winners before: Argentina (2), Brazil (5), England (1), France (1), Germany (3), Italy (4), Uruguay (2). Either Spain or Netherlands will join France and Engeland with one win.

- The latest first-time winners were France (1998), Argentina (1978) and England (1966).

- It will be the first time an European team wins the World Cup outside of Europe. It still stands that only European teams have won the World Cup in Europe. Brazil won the tournament outside of S-America (in 1994 and 2002), but never in Europe.

- Spain could win both the European Championship and World Cup within 2 years. Germany were the last to do so in 1972 and 1974.

- Netherlands could become only the second team after Brazil 1970 to win all qualifying and tournament matches

Last edited by Leon : 08-07-2010 at 12:18.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:32   #884
Riazor
Seasoned Member
Peña Member

Riazor is on a distinguished road

I can't help but feel disappointed at the germany loss. Ive been rooting for them the whole tournament and we were actually planning to go to germany to see the final. Obviously we'll not do that now!

I've got to admit, spain brought their a-game on the pitch, and the germans were in trouble. However, even though the spanish put pressure alot of the time, the german defense didnt crumble. I didnt count more than 2 clear(!) chances before the goal fell. Even with the 1-0 advantage for them, they couldve conceded a goal at any time, at least that was my feeling. (or was it hope?)
I got to congratulate the spanish though, for making a good display against what is probably the most surprising team of this world cup.

Seeing over the course of the tournament, i think germany deserved it more than spain did, but yesterday's 90 minutes decided otherwise, and on that basis, spain did "derserve" it more.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:01   #885
Paul
Peña Member

Paul is on a distinguished road

Here's another stat for you Leon - this tournament will break the trend dating back to 1962 of alternating between a South American and European winner.

And with regards to Spain being the first to win both the European and World Championships in 2 years since Germany in the '70s - France did this in '98 and '00 (other way round though).
Closed Thread