Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > World Football
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

World Football For other football that's not related to Depor. For example: the Primera División, Segunda División A, Segunda División B, the Champions League, EURO 2008, the World Cup 2010, Italy, England, Germany, Turkey etc.

Old 17-03-2004, 14:58   #1
Jo

Peña Member

Jo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Jo Send a message via MSN to Jo
Default Comparison between Spanish League and English Premier League

As I mostly watch EPL and Spanish La Liga, I can't help but to notice that there is a great difference between the two leagues.

In my Malaysia, EPL is the bread and butter of football. Football is MU, Arsenal and Liverpool and MU, Arsenal and Liverpool is football. EPL is given extraordinary coverage and is often hypped about such as the best league in the world. The only way of gauging the standard of the two league is when a spanish team clashed with an english team in the champions league. Since Deportivo got the better of MU and Arsenal, i'd decided to support SuperDepor and the La Liga wholeheartedly.

Anyway back to my question, after a lot of observations i'd to say that EPL is more intense and exciting, the crowds and the stadiums atmosphere are simply superb and the players played with more passion and determination. Their 'never say die to the last minute approach' greatly impressed me. Their refrees are of world class and players there, don't dive as often as in La Liga.

In La Liga unfortunately, I don't see this happening. Players in the LIga are kind of soft and always expect the refree to be on their side. This is exactly what happened when Andrade gave away the first goal to Mallorca and this is just one example involving our players. Officials here are also a bit insane as they enjoy giving red cards very much. I also noticed that matches in La Liga lack the intensity found in the EPL. They don't tackle as hard as they do in EPL. Actually there is a lot more flaws in La Liga which I don't know how to express.

Nevertheless, what i enjoy most in La Liga is its technical quality, the dizzing passes and runs, excellent individual skill and flambuoyant players like Valeron, Zidane, Ronaldo and Tristan, not forgetting Djalminha too. Opinions?

Pena Member Number : 0020
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2004, 15:24   #2
alan partridge

alan partridge is off the scale

i kind of agree with you jo

imagine a league with the full houses, passion and speed of the english league with the technical level and flowing attack play of la liga

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that would be good football
Old 17-03-2004, 15:37   #3
Donato
Veteran
Peña Member

Donato is an unknown quantity at this point

the only comparison is two teams of 11, one football and some incompetent officials!!!lol...
Old 17-03-2004, 17:22   #4
Ekholm
Veteran

Peña Member

Ekholm is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Ekholm
Default Re: Comparison between Spanish League and English Premier Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo
after a lot of observations i'd to say that EPL is more intense and exciting, the crowds and the stadiums atmosphere are simply superb and the players played with more passion and determination. Their 'never say die to the last minute approach' greatly impressed me. Their refrees are of world class and players there, don't dive as often as in La Liga.

Totally agree with this.
I also think that the Spanish attitude is more soft then the English. But that also makes the football great in Spain. Imagine La Liga would have the same intense, then there would be no room for technical skills and suddenly La Liga would be just like Premier League.

The thing I want to be improved in La Liga are:
1. The referees. I don't have to comment this one, do I?
2. The crowd. Just like you said, Jo. It isn't the same passion in Spain. Probably that's because it's quite big distances to the away matches so the away teams hardly ever has fans with them. But still... the singing can be improved I think.
3. The diving. Considering that the referees are so bad it's no wonder there's so much diving in La Liga. If only the referees become better the diving will be reduced, I think.
Ekholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2004, 19:03   #5
Burak
Almost Regular

Burak is off the scale

Well I've been watching both leauge for many years. There's a slight difference between La Liga and EPL,which is 2 teams(maybe 3 now) are dominating the EPL..Arsenal,ManU and chelsea. But in the La Liga more..Real,Valencia,Deportivo,Barça..

Well talking on the grounds and the crowd..well I can't hear chants and signs at the English Grounds, but I can hear the atmosphere of crowd in Spain. What's the biggest match in EPL? Arsenal-ManU or ManU-Arsenal maybe? Well Just compare these matches to Barca-Real,Valencia-Depo,Depo-Real games..U'll understand what I'm trying to say..
Burak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2004, 19:43   #6
DG

DG is off the scale
Send a message via MSN to DG

I live in England, and so obviously see alot of the EPL and quite frankly...it sucks! It is so boring. Whereas in spain the football is great to watch (especially Deportivo ) and the class of players (apart from Henry) is much higher.

The crowds in Spain (and Italy) are much more passionate about their teams than in England. I mean, get a picture of the crowd at a Manchester derby, or a Man U - Arsenal game... and compare it to El Derbi or the Milan/Rome derby's. If you do this then you'll see exactly what I mean, and I don't see how you can criticise?
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2004, 20:32   #7
caabrego
Administrator
Peña Member

caabrego has disabled reputation

In a few words:

La Liga---->
Bundesliga-->
EPL--------->
calcio------->
Old 17-03-2004, 21:21   #8
Chronic Inebriety

Chronic Inebriety is off the scale

Chronic Inebriety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2004, 05:26   #9
alan partridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG

The crowds in Spain (and Italy) are much more passionate about their teams than in England. I mean, get a picture of the crowd at a Manchester derby, or a Man U - Arsenal game... and compare it to El Derbi or the Milan/Rome derby's. If you do this then you'll see exactly what I mean, and I don't see how you can criticise?

hi dg

you mention the big derbies in spain and italy and they are indeed full and very passionate. the point a few of us are making about the crowds though is that it is really only these big games where you see the passion and high attendances in spain. the bernabeu is like a church in a lot of liga games. i once stood up to politely applaud a goal (i'm not a fan obviously but i thought i should), NOONE around me stood up. i couldn't believe the indifference. its this kind of big game attitude i hate about la liga. where is the passion in only really getting into champions league/derby/top team games.

also, just listen to the few spanish players who play in the premier league. i think you'll find most of them agree that the english crowds are more passionate.
check out this website too. an excellent stats site. have a look at attendance figures and especially the percentage of stadium full
epl - http://www.soccerstats.com/2khcrowd....gland&rankby=1
liga - http://www.soccerstats.com/2khcrowd....spain&rankby=1

check the lower divisions of english footie too for the really passionate fans! germany have had some amazing attendance figures this year

my ideal football have

english crowd
english speed
english committment
spanish skill
spanish attacking style
pierluigi collina refereeing
Old 18-03-2004, 13:38   #10
Varsh150783
Seasoned Member

Varsh150783 is off the scale

I would prefer the spanish crowd they are the ones who burn the things.....

the main differenceis in EPL: is the long cross from near half way line into the penalty box and hope the striker gets it in...or theres some deflection of teh post and the ball somehow gets to the striker..or take a wacky long shot from outside the penalty box...cross across wings and then slowly attack.( Arsenal are ok in this respect cos none of their players can cross so they play along the ground)

But la liga has it all....Plus its in la liga where they 4-2-3-1 most!!!!!.....I love the formation...5 attacking and 5 defending...I have seen many teams follow this hardly any team in EPL...it gives you som much flexibility plus frees up the wings where you need it most and lastly triangle is there always to shoo off the guy attacking...The only disadvantage is 1 striker...but thats minor thing considering we have good strikers in la liga!!!!

ESPAGNA FOREVER!!! EPL is borinnnnnnggggg no class at all
Old 18-03-2004, 13:46   #11
Varsh150783
Seasoned Member

Varsh150783 is off the scale

38.8 million, 58.8 million are the population of the two nations.In england the whole nation watches soccer...cos most of the population is distributed in the major cities where there is some sort of soccer action going on...and in most cities there are two or three clubs...

In spain some clubs in the outskirts or small towns...depor is an example...

There are only two major cities: Barca, Madrid..rest are hardly developed...thus ppl cant afford it...thus you cant get enough ppl to support teams thus you dont have attractive cheering....and you blame it on crowds??
Old 18-03-2004, 15:34   #12
alan partridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varsh150783
38.8 million, 58.8 million are the population of the two nations.In england the whole nation watches soccer...cos most of the population is distributed in the major cities where there is some sort of soccer action going on...and in most cities there are two or three clubs...

In spain some clubs in the outskirts or small towns...depor is an example...

There are only two major cities: Barca, Madrid..rest are hardly developed...thus ppl cant afford it...thus you cant get enough ppl to support teams thus you dont have attractive cheering....and you blame it on crowds??

varsh, i don't like to be rude but you really don't know what you are talking about.

i wonder what the spanish members of our board think about your statement that:

'There are only two major cities: Barca, Madrid..rest are hardly developed...thus ppl cant afford it..'

the rest of spain are all living in mud huts and farming villages are they? have you ever been to spain? a coruna? seville? san sebastian? valencia? granada? toledo? do you know that spain has one of the fastest growing economies in western europe?

oh and only 5 cities (i think) have 2 teams in them in england (bristol, stoke, birmingham, manchester, liverpool), london ofcourse has many more. so thats another thing you are wrong on.

get your facts straight before you claim things
Old 18-03-2004, 16:15   #13
Ekholm
Veteran

Peña Member

Ekholm is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Ekholm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan partridge
my ideal football have

english crowd
english speed
english committment
spanish skill
spanish attacking style

I agree with that but don't you think if Spanish football got English speed it would lose technical skills??
You can't be both very speedy and very technical... or??
Ekholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2004, 16:50   #14
Xoán
Retired Admin
Peña Member

Xoán has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EkholmSWE

Well, in my opinion this is what separates the good players from the world-class players. Illustrious examples: Pelé, Romario (he didn't run, but he was extremely fast with the ball in his feet), Ronaldo (in the good times), Davids (in the good times), etc, etc...
The fellowship was a brief beginning, a fair time that cannot be forgotten; and because it will not be forgotten, that fair time may come again. Now once more I must ride with my knights to defend what was, and the dream of what could be.
Xoán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2004, 17:18   #15
alan partridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by EkholmSWE
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan partridge
my ideal football have

english crowd
english speed
english committment
spanish skill
spanish attacking style

I agree with that but don't you think if Spanish football got English speed it would lose technical skills??

well i was being very idealistic but as xoan says i don't think speed and technical skill are exclusive qualities. why should they be?

ronaldo was and to a degree, still is, frighteningly fast. and with his skills...even in that toilet paper of a shirt he is beautiful to watch. superb. ryan giggs in full flow? players like joaquin or gerrard when they are really on top form really excite me.

love it!