Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > World Football
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

World Football For other football that's not related to Depor. For example: the Primera División, Segunda División A, Segunda División B, the Champions League, EURO 2008, the World Cup 2010, Italy, England, Germany, Turkey etc.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:06   #31
Chris

Chris is on a distinguished road

The long ball analysis is a crap stereotype. That isn't to say teams don't attempt those kind of passes, although the way people talk about it will have you believe that it's the only thing teams practise in training. You'd also think that English fans are complete morons who spittle at the mouth when the players have the audacity to start passing it from the back. We don't all sit in the stands shouting, "hoof it! hoof it!".

With all due respect to our resident Liverpool fan(s), I'd have been horrified if United had signed a player like Andy Carroll. Why? Because, aside from being alright with the ball at his feet, he's a throwback to an era where playing the long ball was considered a credible tactic.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:18   #32
Feliuk
Administrator

Peña Member

Feliuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Feliuk

There's long ball and there's long ball. Personally I don't think EPL teams play the old style long ball like let's say Winbledon or Watford use to. But compared to Spain they still play long ball. And like their keepers and defenders to pass 'long'.
Let's not talk internationally because for years I have been saying that England cannot pass any more that a few times before they have to hoof it and they still do that.
Not saying that is bad or wrong just not to my liking.

Last edited by Feliuk : 09-09-2011 at 11:20.
Feliuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:26   #33
ggeorg

Peña Member

ggeorg is an unknown quantity at this point

True that, about what is actually a "long ball".

Because a long, accurate ball, is much more difficult than a short ball. A right defender that could send the ball accurately to the left winger, opens the game within a sec and do the job, that barca needs 67 passes to accomplish

Still, there is not such thing, as "old English style", to an international league, as EPL is. To the championship and below, maybe.

This version of ManUtd, with Nani, Young and Welbeck, is one of the most appealing teams to watch, perfoming speed/quality/passing game, while consisting mainly from UK players!
ggeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:47   #34
Chris

Chris is on a distinguished road

Comparing the English league to Spain's doesn't make it any less of a crap stereotype. Case in point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorg
This version of ManUtd, with Nani, Young and Welbeck, is one of the most appealing teams to watch, perfoming speed/quality/passing game, while consisting mainly from UK players!

As well as more teams. Whilst other teams in the league still play a particular way, this lazy application of an assumption to the entire league is tedious. We don't play the English way, we play the United way.
Old 09-09-2011, 14:01   #35
aldo
Super-Seasoned
Peña Member

aldo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to aldo Send a message via MSN to aldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeporChris
The long ball analysis is a crap stereotype. That isn't to say teams don't attempt those kind of passes, although the way people talk about it will have you believe that it's the only thing teams practise in training. You'd also think that English fans are complete morons who spittle at the mouth when the players have the audacity to start passing it from the back. We don't all sit in the stands shouting, "hoof it! hoof it!".

With all due respect to our resident Liverpool fan(s), I'd have been horrified if United had signed a player like Andy Carroll. Why? Because, aside from being alright with the ball at his feet, he's a throwback to an era where playing the long ball was considered a credible tactic.

Maybe I should clarify what I mean. I don't mean the classic high long ball from the centre back to the head of the striker. What I mean is simply a much more direct playing style, where the only direction of passes is forward and that inevitably leads to lots of possession losses and, if it goes well, chances. So by hoofing (maybe that wasn't the right word for it) I meant that for example central midfielders or side defenders would make attempt vertical passes as soon as there's any chance someone would reach it which mostly isn't the case, whereas in Spain they'd pass the ball around a bit and increase tempo when an opportunity is there, which can admittedly become boring with two bad teams. And about the fans, I never meant to suggest they're morons, it's just a matter of taste. I simply don't like that overly direct type of football. By the way, a huge majority of people in Germany would disagree with me and prefer English football.

Oh, and exclude the top teams of course, but the mid-table and relegation candidates are those who make the character of a league.
aldo is offline   Reply With Quote