Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > World Football
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

World Football For other football that's not related to Depor. For example: the Primera División, Segunda División A, Segunda División B, the Champions League, EURO 2008, the World Cup 2010, Italy, England, Germany, Turkey etc.

Old 03-12-2010, 19:35   #46
deporiginal
Legend
Peña Member

deporiginal is an unknown quantity at this point

By the way, Belgium and Holland are already talking about organising the European Cup of 2020, which is making no sense at all to me. Would the Uefa seriously consider giving that to us, after we have "recently" organised it in 2000? Seems like a waste of effort to me.
deporiginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 20:07   #47
Chris

Chris is on a distinguished road

I'd have thought Germany, Spain or England would be more likely. Germany and Spain have only hosted it once each, and the disappointment of the World Cup might see UEFA take pity on England. That's assuming there isn't an upcoming country that's capable of hosting 24 teams.
Old 03-12-2010, 23:02   #48
Megalolz

Megalolz is on a distinguished road

FIFA=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFv6aQNnmzc
Old 04-12-2010, 01:48   #49
Anton
Site Team
Peña Member

Anton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Anton

I can totally understand Russia's choice. At the same time i am suprised... but i can at least understand why it was chosen. There are other reasons to at least defend the decision.

Qatar's choice... I am genuinely shocked... Lets look at it.

1. Population: 1.3m (at the higher end - they actually have approximately 500,000 citizens)
2. Temperature in June/July: 45-50 degrees C (this year it reached 51 in Qatar on what would have been the 4th day of the world cup) - whilst the stadiums are air conditioned - what do the fans do?
3. Practical issues: Every game in the same place - this is not good for congestion etc considering it has 1 airport and will have all games within 20 mins.
4. FIFA's technical report: "High Risk"
5. Previous World Cup appearances: None - Have NEVER QUALIFIED!
6. Profitability rating: 70% (only just the 2nd last in front of Australia at 68% - USA had 100%)

Some "issues" on Qatar:

1. Israeli's will have difficulty entering the country (as with Shahar Peer for the Doha tennis tournament)
2. You are not allowed to drink in public (it is a punishable offence)
3. Homosexuality is illegal - dont go there if you are gay
3. It is ranked as a Tier 3 Human Rights country

Why the hell did Qatar get the world cup?

I am not saying this because Australia missed out. In fact - if Japan, Korea, or USA had have been awarded it I would understand. I am just shocked at this decision - it defies logic.

Who will want to travel to Qatar to watch the world cup in 45 degree C temps?

Now here is what actually happened.

Bin Hammam (president of the AFC and from Qatar) is obviously on the exec commitee and hates Sepp Blatter. So, he publically stated last year if Qatar does not win the bid he will challenge for presidency. Additionally, he is known to have the support of 7 of the 24 (now 22 - and none of the 2 discarded were his 7) for a presidents challenge as those 7 also want Sepp out. In addition, the Korean delegate also wants to challenge and is thought to have a power base of 5 of the 22. Which means 12 of the 22 want Sepp out. Additionally, the Brazilian member also is said to now be thinking about a challenge and is drumming up support in central and south america.

It is CLEAR that Sepp has done a deal with Bin Hammam to not challenge and he has backed Qatar. This is more clear considering that the South Korean hates Bin Hammam and this will secure Bin Hammam the support of Sepp should Sepp eventually retire or stand down.

In the greater game of politics. Bin Hammam is why Qatar got the bid.

Qatar had 10-11 votes throughout. This fits in line with the approximate numbers in the bin hammam camp + a few more african members who will benefit from the stadium gifts after 2022.

Thats why Qatar were given the World Cup.

The results were as follows for 2022:

Round 1: Qatar 11, USA 4, Korea 3, Japan 3, Aus 1
Round 2: Qatar 10 (not a typo lol), USA 5, Korea 5, Japan 2
Round 3: Qatar 11, USA 6, Korea 5
Round 4: Qatar 14, USA 8.

The results for 2018:

Round 1: Russia 9, Spain/Portugal 7, Netherlands/Belgium 4, England 2
Round 2: Russia 13, Spain/Portugal 7, Netherlands Belgium 2.

Very suprised the England votes didnt go to Spain/Portugal?
Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:11   #50
Riazor warriors
Veteran
Peña Member

Riazor warriors is on a distinguished road

4 me Russia Deserve 2 Host the WC,& im not surprised at All,& 4 me as a jordanian going there is similar than the other candidates....

2 b Honest i thought a country to host WC needs to b with history in WC,population more than 5 M or 10 M in our days,good climate at that time of the year...but after Qatar every country have a chance 2 host WC...maybe Jordan someday

Qatar they host many asian big tournaments b4 & they did a great Job they r rich & willing to do everything to have a perfect WC....

Qatar they have alot of foreigners around 70-80 % of population (1.6 M)& with 500 thousand coming 4 WC..so about stuff like drinking & Brazilian girls!!
dont worry this will b no problems.. & btw women dont need to put a cover in qatar
Riazor warriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:29   #51
Michał
Peña Member

Michał is on a distinguished road

Qatar is a joke. OK, I'm 100% sure that they're going to build stadiums which won't be seen in next 5 WC tournaments, but that's not everything. Population of 1,6 m - it's less than Warsaw...and I can't imagine Warsaw organizing WC, even though Polish people love football (quite opposite to people from Qatar)...so tell me who is going to fill those stadiums?
Michał is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:32   #52
Feliuk
Administrator

Peña Member

Feliuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Feliuk

Beckenbaur has said that the 2022 should be played in January...what an absolute bunch of %$%£@.

If I was the main power nations I would get together and tell FIFA to get stuffed!!!

Feliuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 14:41   #53
ggeorg

Peña Member

ggeorg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Temperature in June/July: 45-50 degrees C (this year it reached 51 in Qatar on what would have been the 4th day of the world cup) - whilst the stadiums are air conditioned - what do the fans do?

They will be staying in air-conditioning hotels, going to the games in air-conditioning taxis and then entering the air-conditioning stadiums
ggeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 15:02   #54
deporik
Chief of Police

Peña Member

deporik is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there any info on the venues and distance between them. I'm just wondering how they will be able to accomodate the fans of 32 countries when they have such a small country/population.
Old 04-12-2010, 15:38   #55
Riazor warriors
Veteran
Peña Member

Riazor warriors is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michał
Qatar is a joke. OK, I'm 100% Population of 1,6 m - it's less than Warsaw...and I can't imagine Warsaw organizing WC, even though Polish people love football (quite opposite to people from Qatar)...so tell me who is going to fill those stadiums?

ya in Amman Jordan we have like 2 M population,Michal Football is no. 1 sport in Qatar so they do love football,about Hotels & stuff everything could be fixed with money Qatar can do it.....but with their money the weather will still b an issue..!! unless if they do it in Jan-Feb

wts strange 4 me y a very small country like Qatar did the Bid alone y not to do it with another country like UAE (united Arab Emirates) ?
Riazor warriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 15:46   #56
Michał
Peña Member

Michał is on a distinguished road

UAE will organize next WC, they have enough money to do it on their own and FIFA knows about it and don't want to loose money by giving one WC tournament for two amazingly rich countries Distance - I don't know, but I've read that 8 out 12 stadiums are within 25-30 km from each other.
Michał is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 15:46   #57
Diligent
Veteran

Peña Member

Diligent is an unknown quantity at this point

Sepp Blatter having problems walking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5wm03XUwVE

Seriously, if you want to read more about FIFA and the way they operate have a look at the following site below.

http://transparencyinsport.org/

Last edited by Diligent : 04-12-2010 at 20:14.
Diligent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:23   #58
Anton
Site Team
Peña Member

Anton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Anton

yeh i mean theres no doubt... Qatar will just build whatever it needs to - 2nd airport? lol we will build one...

but i mean a country who has never appeared in a WC before? a JOKE!

if fifa want a legacy just host it in samalia next time... joke.

i mean a population of 1.3m lol Sydney has 4 million lol

Also beckenbauer said it should be in jan because its just stupid to have it in qatar in summer. he also said he could not believe qatar got the world cup...

In Australia we still cant believe we got only 1 vote - and its strongly rumoured we got beckenbauers... the only member who does not care about politics - in fact - he is resigning from the executive committee next year when the elections are on - everyone close to him believe he is sick of the politics and corruption...
Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 14:47   #59
Filip
Administrator
Peña Member

Filip is an unknown quantity at this point

why making such problems of temperature? I prefer to go there on 45 than to go anywhere freezing or just 10 degrees. Individual preferences and some like hot, some like cold. Case closed.
Much more issues with the religion and its rules
Filip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 18:51   #60
caabrego
Administrator
Peña Member

caabrego has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by deporik
Is there any info on the venues and distance between them. I'm just wondering how they will be able to accomodate the fans of 32 countries when they have such a small country/population.
In Russia people say that the distances are too long, and in Qatar that too short. Will people ever be happy?