Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > World Football
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

World Football For other football that's not related to Depor. For example: the Primera División, Segunda División A, Segunda División B, the Champions League, EURO 2008, the World Cup 2010, Italy, England, Germany, Turkey etc.

Old 28-04-2005, 07:17   #16
Anton
Site Team
Peña Member

Anton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Anton

comon alan!! i agree with 90% of what u say on the forum but i cant with this - Rooney is the most hyped up player of them all!! i dont live in spain so i cant comment on primera hype - but english hype is extreme!

lets take rooney - how many times did i hear the english press say "the next pele" or "worth 70million" i mean come on!!

u know whats funny? Raul has acheived twice as much as rooney at the same age and yet he wasnt hyped up half as much as roney was and still is! look at the stats - on another site i did a comparison and its really shocking!! u'll see straight away what i mean!

rooney has promise to be a quality player yes i agree - but thats not what was said... i dont think he will touch the greats - i'd take makaay over henry and rooney! and how under-rated is makaay!!

the english press hypes up the league UNBELEIVABLY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepp
Fastest gun in town, aren't you? I was going to say exactly the same. You could see the troubles of Arsenal in Europe when Depor played there for the last time. Arsenal, the team and the players, relies on pace and if you take it away from them (and Mauro and Valeron know the how-to), they are nothing. Well, that's an Spanish exaggeration but you know what I mean...

100% agree with u! thats why arsenal won't make it past the quarters in CL as long as they still play that style...
Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2005, 10:31   #17
Xoán
Retired Admin
Peña Member

Xoán has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralo
For me the holy trinity in football is Depor-Porto-Chelsea. I'd would like to mention Racing Ferrol also but I dont want to get beat up!

Not so sure about Chelsea, but I know what you mean
And what's the problem with Racing de Ferrol? They're cool! (as long as it's not Compostela! )
The fellowship was a brief beginning, a fair time that cannot be forgotten; and because it will not be forgotten, that fair time may come again. Now once more I must ride with my knights to defend what was, and the dream of what could be.
Xoán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2005, 17:28   #18
alan partridge

alan partridge is off the scale

erm if you're going to use another player to demonstrate that Rooney is overhyped then I'd choose someone other than Raul, Anton! A wonderful player no doubt but Rooney will never receive the kind of adulation he has done/still does. (recent Marca headline about an international....Raul comes on and Spain ALMOST wins.....eh?)

Rooney is a great player. Whether or not he continues to be one or not only time will tell, but for someone for so young he's already played some awesome games. He's already got one tournament under his belt where he did brilliantly, and who knows what he might have done if he hadn't got that unlucky injury.

Thick as pig shit though.

I don't accept your definition of hype either. If you are saying that the press over hype the league in itself then fine, but you have to understand the obsession with football in the UK. If you are saying that they hype the league in comparison with other countries then I disagree. Even Sky (*spit*) stopped describing the Premier league as the best in the world a while ago. I've read even the worst tabloid journalists often talk of English football as inferior to the continental version. All sort of dumb hyperbole comes out when English clubs do well, but if you're telling me that's different to Marca or AS then I have to respectfully disagree.

I find it funny that that people talk about how Depor have the measure of English clubs on this forum. Maybe it's because I had to endure the 5-1 thrashing at Highbury IN the Arsenal end. But I can't also forget how Manure destroyed us....that 'shit poster boy' Beckham scored an amazing goal and our only respnse was to get him carried off on a stretcher. twice. People need some perspective.....like Zepp said how can you say one is like this and the other is like that. You can't, we're not talking about Playstation and Nintendo.

At the end of the day the common denominator I think which makes Spanish and English football so good is the attacking mentality.
Old 29-04-2005, 04:37   #19
Anton
Site Team
Peña Member

Anton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Anton

i have some things to say but im in a rush i will post later

Quote:
Thick as pig **** though.

thats rooney right? and not me

yeh he dosent seem like the brightest light bulb in the house, but i spose he doesnt have to be earning that pay packet!!
Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 03:14   #20
ChelseaJT26
Beginner

ChelseaJT26 is off the scale

Thanks for all of your replies.

As regards to our press, to put it simply; they are a disgrace.

Take the News of the World (a sunday tabloid) during Euro 2004 the sports reporters were running out of superlatives to describe Wayne Rooney. He was this, he was that, he was the next Pele etc... Meanwhile, the front pages of the very same newspaper were researching a visit to a brothel he took to sleep with some old tart. They struck tabloid-gold and Rooney visits brothel becomes front page material, while Rooney is next Pele is back page material.

They intentionally build people up only to make as many people buy their newspapers when they later try to destroy their character. I don't believe this happens anywhere else. The impression we get of Marca etc... is that they just sing Raul's praises unconditionally, playing well or not!

It happens with regard to football violence as well. I'm not defending the fact until recently we had a bad hooligan problem, but there have been many times when in tournaments, members of the English press have paid other groups of fans to provoke violence from the English fans. The same press that publicise every anti-football violence press conference and plead with England's idiot fans not to be stupid during tournaments and get us kicked out of competitions. While they're actively trying to provoke trouble themselves, just so they can be there with their cameras if there is trouble.

Maybe I am a victim of the English media, but I do think Rooney is something very special - not at the moment. He has moments of brilliance (he scored one of the goals of the season last week) but is temperamental and inconsistent. However he is only 19 years old, and hopefully the imperfections can be resolved by Ferguson by the time he reaches his prime. We don't get any hype about Torres here, but I also think he's obviously destined for greatness. He's a great striker to watch as well, which is always nice to see.

Premiership Update:

My beloved Chelsea won the Premiership today! We beat Bolton 2-0 away from home, Frank Lampard scoring both! I'm so happy it's unbelievable! It's been 50 years since we last won the league. If you imagine your La Liga truimph of 2000 all over again, it's something like that. Absolutely incredible!

I've read some of the posts about Chelsea and understand we're probably not very popular. There's a lot of negative stereotypes going around since the Barcelona game (boring, dull, negative, etc...) but I really do not think it does our club justice, if you had seen all of our games like I have this season. Please don't fall into that common misconception!
ChelseaJT26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 19:45   #21
anuroc

anuroc is off the scale
Send a message via ICQ to anuroc

Congrats for the title, ChelseaJT26, it was well deserved; I'm wondering at how many points is the record for a Premiership champion?
Old 01-05-2005, 21:00   #22
ChelseaJT26
Beginner

ChelseaJT26 is off the scale

Thanks anuroc.

I think it's 91 points, held by Manchester United.

We are on 88 with three games to play (Charlton, Manchester United, Newcastle). We should beat it, but we will rest a lot of players for the remaining three games if we beat Liverpool on Tuesday.
ChelseaJT26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 21:07   #23
Crocodile_Dundee
Veteran

Peña Member

Crocodile_Dundee is an unknown quantity at this point

It was good to see Abramovich join in with the celebrations yesterday as it obvoiusly is more than just a hobby for him.

Terry has been immense as has Lampard but I tend to agree with Mourinho that the player of the year should have been Makelele who starts so many of the Chelsea attacks.
Crocodile_Dundee is offline   Reply With Quote