Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > World Football
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

World Football For other football that's not related to Depor. For example: the Primera División, Segunda División A, Segunda División B, the Champions League, EURO 2008, the World Cup 2010, Italy, England, Germany, Turkey etc.

Old 02-11-2005, 15:49   #1
George Mitsou
Site Team

Peña Member

George Mitsou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lyon

I think they deserve a closer look.

A lot of quality work has been delivered there in the past 5 years which is more than obvious, while the Administration seems to have assured a well-structured environment. Santini and Leguen have undoubtedly left their mark, now Houllier has been assigned the task for a successful continuation. Their domination in the French League continues while in Europe they seem to get more and more competitive every year.

Yesterday Olympiacos suffered humiliation in a 1-4 defeat at home. We will have the opportunity to discuss the process the club has followed these years, their tactics, strong and weak points etc, but at this point I would like to focus on a fact which I am sure will be very much appreciated in a forum of international Deportivo supporters.

1st half in the Karaiskakis stadium finds Lyon leading 2-1 despite Olympiakos' early 1-0 (3'). The progress of the match had destabilized the home team, still it was expected that Olympiakos would throw everything they had during the 2nd half in order to turn the match upside down again. But they never ever had a single chance to even try, they never ever recovered as from 46' up to the end the Greek players became passive watchers of Lyon's offensive football. The final score was determined before 60' (!) but the french team kept on attacking till the final whistle, despite Tiango's and Zouninho's exits. An attitude really rare to witness these days. No conservative approaches at all, I mean they never lowered their pace so as to save some energy for the following matches, to decrease the possibilities of injuries or whatever... Unbelievable...

My opinion is that the team has adopted a style that fits their ambition. Lyon can nothing but attack and it seems that the players enjoy themselves. Their creativity is outstanding, the community spirit and the character of the team are also amazing, once again they were behind and managed to win, still undefeated in official matches this year...

I don't know how far they can get (because they do have weak points), I do know for sure though that yesterday they have won a lot of respect and new friends. And they deserve it all the way...
George Mitsou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 16:19   #2
mig_superdepor

mig_superdepor is off the scale

i'm not a big fan of Gerard houllier..i still think credit should go to Paul le Guen who done a terrific job there..he derserves credit...houllier has done nothing but inherit a wondeful talented team... they have to achieve at least the semi's for their team i think....
player to watch: juninho pernambucano, diarra, (and so many others!)
Old 02-11-2005, 16:43   #3
George Mitsou
Site Team

Peña Member

George Mitsou is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig_superdepor
i'm not a big fan of Gerard houllier..i still think credit should go to Paul le Guen who done a terrific job there..he derserves credit...houllier has done nothing but inherit a wondeful talented team... they have to achieve at least the semi's for their team i think....
player to watch: juninho pernambucano, diarra, (and so many others!)

Actually there are still a lot of people cautious about Houllier's management. I agree 100% with you, that's why I wrote "...Santini and Leguen have undoubtedly left their mark, now Houllier has been assigned the task for a successful continuation...". Just that the maintenance of a good level is not an easy task as it seems and we can find references in the past that prove my point. Houllier is a happy and lucky man with the team he's got but seems to be handling things well for the moment. And his rotations have been effective so far. Let's see...
George Mitsou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:54   #4
Kenya
Seasoned Member

Kenya is off the scale
Send a message via MSN to Kenya

Juninho, Cris, Wiltord, Diarra, Coupet, Cacapa, Malouda, Pedretti, Tiago, Hatem Ben Arfa, Govou and Carew. Good players and a good squad. I'm a big fan of Juninho and Ben Arfa.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:33   #5
Crocodile_Dundee
Veteran

Peña Member

Crocodile_Dundee is an unknown quantity at this point

Lyon are great to watch as they have Juninho creating and controlling the way they play leaving the likes of Pedretti, Diarra and Malouda to do all the leg work. Cacapa and/or Cris have got to be included in Brazil's WC sqaud but they'll probably be ousted by Roque Junior. I've always been a fan of Govou but for the past couple of years he has underachieved but hopefully he can recapture some sort of form.

P.S. Houllier is a muppet
Crocodile_Dundee is offline   Reply With Quote