Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > Deportivo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Deportivo Discuss Real Club Deportivo de La Coruña here: its history, matches, Riazor etc.

Old 04-05-2003, 10:50   #1
Mariens

Mariens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Socios

well yesterday i read in Lithuanian nespaper about socios in spain, and there was a tabel which clubs have the most socios and depor in spain are only in 9th place, losing even to sevilla and real betis [they are from one city and both teams has more socios than depor] also losing to sociedad and depor has as many socios as espanyol, they're both in 9th place, why one the gratest teams of spain are only in 9th place, why is that ?
Old 04-05-2003, 17:04   #2
anuroc

anuroc is off the scale
Send a message via ICQ to anuroc

mmmmm, i think we have about 28000 "socios" and i don't belive Real Sociedad to have more than us, but Madrid (Real and Atletico), Barcelona (Barça and Espanyol), Valencia, Sevilla (Sevilla and Betis) and Bilbao have much more population than A Coruña; Malaga, Vigo or Valladold are bigger cities as well
anuroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 18:35   #3
Depor_Vin
Veteran
Peña Member

Depor_Vin is an unknown quantity at this point

What does ''Socios'' mean? Popularity?
Depor_Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 19:08   #4
Xoán
Retired Admin
Peña Member

Xoán has disabled reputation

"socio" literally means "partner" or "member", but in the context of football it refers to the "ticket holders"... I don't know if there's a better translation in English...
In short, the people who pay a specific amount per year and goes to the matches for free or with a reduced price (it depends on the day). Those are the ones who have an official Depor card, etc.
Indeed, A Coruña is a small city (the municipality has 244.000 inhabitants), and Lendoiro has said that Depor's objective is 30.000 "socios". Sevilla has two teams, alright, but they are around a million people, Madrid has 5 million people... and only locals are interested in becoming "socios", 'cos they're the ones who can go to all the games... (what's the point of being a socio and paying a small fortune every year if you can't go to the games?).
That's the story...
The fellowship was a brief beginning, a fair time that cannot be forgotten; and because it will not be forgotten, that fair time may come again. Now once more I must ride with my knights to defend what was, and the dream of what could be.
Xoán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 19:27   #5
Leon
Banned
Peña MemberBanned

Leon is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Depor are doing pretty well with having 28,000-30,000 socios... yes, the other clubs come from much bigger cities... remember that with 240,000 inhabitants more than 10% (seen in a statistical way) visit the home matches! So, have Madrid 600,000 spectators at a home match??
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 19:33   #6
Mariens

Mariens is an unknown quantity at this point

socio is a fan who is like a member of teh club, he even can vote who will be the president of the club, also socios have many privileges, but for this membership u have to pay, and clubs like real has much profit of that
Old 04-05-2003, 22:04   #7
anuroc

anuroc is off the scale

i think socio could be translated as season ticket holder
Old 05-05-2003, 10:42   #8
Leon
Banned
Peña MemberBanned

Leon is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, but I think a socio is something more attached to a club than a season ticket-holder. I mean, here in The Netherlands we cannot vote for a club president...
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 13:10   #9
anuroc

anuroc is off the scale

nowadays only Real Madrid, Barça, At. Bilbao and Osasuna have that kind of socios, the other teams were forced 12 years ago to become a merchant society
that's the reason a guy like Dimitri Piterman is coaching Racing Santander without being a coach, simply because he bough 25% of Racing stock and now he doesn't need a football manager game, he plays it for real
and that's the reason Jesus Gil is still Atletico de Madrid president, he and his family own 90% of the stock so, who's going to fire him?
so, most of clubs supporters are just season ticket holders

Deportivo again is different to the other clubs and despite being a merchant society as well, they have the stock very atomized (many people owning little stock), so many season ticket holders are also owners of the club (in a minimal proportion tough)