Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > World Football
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

World Football For other football that's not related to Depor. For example: the Primera División, Segunda División A, Segunda División B, the Champions League, EURO 2008, the World Cup 2010, Italy, England, Germany, Turkey etc.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:46   #31
Chris

Chris is on a distinguished road

Russia hosting a World Cup isn't the problem.

After being given a perfect rating in The McKinsey report, only managing two votes is.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:03   #32
deporiginal
Legend
Peña Member

deporiginal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michał
Well, I can really understand all your concerns about Qatar I can hardly understand what do you have against Russia... OK, distance between the cities. And then what? Mafia? Come on, it's not 90's to talk about such a things. I'm not saying that all that money in Russia is legal, but saying that mafia controlls it sounds just funny. As I can't really see any disadvantages let's talk about advantages. Firstly - new stadiums. That's very important. Any other European choice would mean sth like 3-4 new stadiums and modernizating (or even not) other ones. I know that Camp Nou, Bernabeu, Old Trafford or Philips Stadium are fantastic and have its soul, but come on, they're the same stadiums that I remember from the time I was a kid. Nothing new. Russia means new stadiums. Secondly - OK, money. They're rich enough to organise it and guarantee it will be a good tournament. In addition they simply deserved for it - the biggest country in the world, very strong national team and strong league - the best choice IMO.

Qatar is a joke, but as I don't really give a f... about any tournament outside of Europe I'm at least happy about it because of the time zone.
I think you'd be seriously surprised how much of that Russian money has blood on it Michal. And besides, I really wouldn't want to walk through Russia if I was a supporter of Ghana, for example. The distance between the cities isn't the problem, it's the transport in the country that's a joke. Of course they'll work to improve, but simply put, out of the 4 candidates, Russia is easily the least safe, least capable and least accessible. But of course, they've got plenty of rubles to pass around.

The arguments you're giving are emotional arguments, and that's why I said I can still accept the choice for Russia. Unfortunately, there really are no practical arguments in Russia's favor. Also, you seem to act like they chose Russia for the arguments you gave. Which is not the reason why they chose Russia. Just look at how the voting went. Belgium/Netherlands was without a chance, because out of the 4 bids, Belgium/Holland would've meant the least amount of profit for the Fifa. However, England still managed to finish last because they pissed off the Fifa. It was easily the most solid bid, but it got two votes. There were tactical votes as well to oust England's bid in the first round. Some people didn't vote for the country they thought was the best choice, they voted for a bid they didn't care about in the first round just to kick out England. That pretty much says it all. You would expect the elite of such an organisation to honestly vote for what they believe is best. But they didn't. I know you like Russia out of sentiment Michal, but honestly, their bid was easily the worst of all. They didn't get it cause they have a "very strong national team" (which is debatable imo, but that's another matter), they got it cause they're rich.

The Fifa's image is getting worse each year, and this is pretty much the final nail in their coffin. Chosing both Russia ánd Qatar is the most blatant money-grubbing thing they did since as far as I can remember. This forum might be more neutral in its opinion, and of course plenty of people where you come from will have been rooting for the Russians. But besides those people, hardly anyone wanted Russia to pull through today. For most people who wanted to go to the World Cup in 2018, it didn't matter squat if they had to go Portugal, Spain, Belgium, Holland or England. As long as they didn't have to go to Russia. That's the painful truth.

Last edited by deporiginal : 03-12-2010 at 02:18.
deporiginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:43   #33
Feliuk
Administrator

Peña Member

Feliuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Feliuk

FIFA corrupt...hell yes they have always been and will always be while Blatter is in charge.
Russia I have no problem with they will get the stadiums built and the infrastructure working, as for mafia and blood money every country in the world has that not saying it's right but that is the way it is.
Qatar that is laughable a non footbvalling country with no history in football and smaller than most European big cities..ridiculous.
I'm not very PC and maybe I'm talking rubbish so maybe some of you here can enlighten me in certain points.Football is a festival, there is football but most of all there are people from all over the world coming together, fan parks, drinking, dancing, etc,etc. Now unless I'm mistaken how the hell will that happen in Qatar? will we see semi naked Brazilian girls or any other girls dancing on the terraces? will we see fan parks on the street with people drinking? will people be allowed to walk around kissing and holding hands unless they are married? I have no idea I doubt it so how the hell can they hold a world wide tournament.???

Feliuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:10   #34
hari

Peña Member

hari is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to hari

i agree that many other nations merited it before Qatar, but how on earth football can reach new audiences unless and otherwise, these type of nations are allowed to participate? dont anyone here think thats a valid point?
i respect you Feli but the last few points u mentioned really makes me laugh..
hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:27   #35
Michał
Peña Member

Michał is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deporiginal
I think you'd be seriously surprised how much of that Russian money has blood on it Michal. And besides, I really wouldn't want to walk through Russia if I was a supporter of Ghana, for example. The distance between the cities isn't the problem, it's the transport in the country that's a joke. Of course they'll work to improve, but simply put, out of the 4 candidates, Russia is easily the least safe, least capable and least accessible. But of course, they've got plenty of rubles to pass around.

The arguments you're giving are emotional arguments, and that's why I said I can still accept the choice for Russia. Unfortunately, there really are no practical arguments in Russia's favor. Also, you seem to act like they chose Russia for the arguments you gave. Which is not the reason why they chose Russia. Just look at how the voting went. Belgium/Netherlands was without a chance, because out of the 4 bids, Belgium/Holland would've meant the least amount of profit for the Fifa. However, England still managed to finish last because they pissed off the Fifa. It was easily the most solid bid, but it got two votes. There were tactical votes as well to oust England's bid in the first round. Some people didn't vote for the country they thought was the best choice, they voted for a bid they didn't care about in the first round just to kick out England. That pretty much says it all. You would expect the elite of such an organisation to honestly vote for what they believe is best. But they didn't. I know you like Russia out of sentiment Michal, but honestly, their bid was easily the worst of all. They didn't get it cause they have a "very strong national team" (which is debatable imo, but that's another matter), they got it cause they're rich.

The Fifa's image is getting worse each year, and this is pretty much the final nail in their coffin. Chosing both Russia ánd Qatar is the most blatant money-grubbing thing they did since as far as I can remember. This forum might be more neutral in its opinion, and of course plenty of people where you come from will have been rooting for the Russians. But besides those people, hardly anyone wanted Russia to pull through today. For most people who wanted to go to the World Cup in 2018, it didn't matter squat if they had to go Portugal, Spain, Belgium, Holland or England. As long as they didn't have to go to Russia. That's the painful truth.
From what I have noticed you think that I rooted for Russia because we like them and they're close. It's not like that at all. I guess it would have been easier for me to get anywhere from Brussels to London and Lisbon than to (the closest one) Kaliningrad, not even mentioning cities that are far away. So it's not because of distance at all. And it's not because I (we) like Russia. Come on, I guess Poland is one of the last countries that can say "we like Russia". Talking about old and the latest history we simply have no reason to like them. But still I wanted them mostly, because I believe that eastern countries deserve to organise such a tournament as well. And now yes - it is because I'm from the east. You say transport in Russia is a joke. I agree. But why don't recognize it as advantage - now they have a boost to improve that. Boost that any other host wouldn't have received simply because the transport is good out there. And it was the same about Poland&Ukraine vs. Italy. And football helped us improve everything right here. It's not comfortable for Ghana (African etc.) fans to travel in Russia? Why's that? Don't really get it.
Michał is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:28   #36
ggeorg

Peña Member

ggeorg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
And it was the same about Poland&Ukraine vs. Italy. And football helped us improve everything right here.

As the 2004 olympics helped us here, for infrastructure and such...and now they're saying to us "so, you wanted glamorous olympic games, right? go and pay the bill now "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feliuk
will we see semi naked Brazilian girls or any other girls dancing on the terraces?

Is there any other reason really, to watch a world cup?
ggeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:00   #37
DepHun
Veteran
Peña Member

DepHun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deporiginal
I honestly think this is quite ridiculous.

For the 2018 bid, Russia was the worst of the four options, but at least it's a choice that I can understand. However, transport in that country is an absolute joke, infrastructure is simply not good for the moment, and it's also the worst choice when it comes to something as simple, but very important, like safety.
What do you think how is the inside transport in South-Africa and Brazil? Is it better than the one in Russia?

About the safety: I can tell you once again to confirm this question for the previous hosts. And I am sure there will be a hundred police-men on every corner. or even more

It is always nice to read comments like maffia, corruption when Chinese, Russians or Arabs are winning to host anything, and never when England (96 EC, 12 OG), the Adidas factory (06 WC), or the home of the (match-fixing) Maffia (06 OG) won it

I have just read Greg's comment about Eastern-Europeans loving the Russians, and I have to laugh heavily. Greg if you come here saying the Huns like the Russians, you would be beaten very-very heavily. Except myself, and some other leftish, the most desperately hate them, as it is in Poland. They say they invaded us, ruled and robbed out for 45 years. I am sure a Hun sport-diplomat would have never voted for the Russian campaign, even if getting huge money.

About the girls: Kurnikova, Dementieva, Sarapova, Kirilenko proves that Russian girls are more beautiful, than the Brazils...

Last edited by DepHun : 03-12-2010 at 12:48.
DepHun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:41   #38
Feliuk
Administrator

Peña Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari
i agree that many other nations merited it before Qatar, but how on earth football can reach new audiences unless and otherwise, these type of nations are allowed to participate? dont anyone here think thats a valid point?
i respect you Feli but the last few points u mentioned really makes me laugh..

How is holding the WC in QATAR going to bring you new audiences? Evryone watches football anyway via Tv or internet, by holding it in Qatar it isn't going to bring you any more audiences.
The last few points might make you laugh but they are still unanswered, the WC is going to a country with no tolerance for drinking and where women have to be covered...why take it there!!!!!

Old 03-12-2010, 12:51   #39
Crocodile_Dundee
Veteran

Peña Member

Crocodile_Dundee is an unknown quantity at this point

Money talks..........

South Africe, Brazil, Russia and then Qatar why don't they just give the next world cup to North Korea and then the Faroe Islands. Russia and then Qatar is hardly fan friendly the bunch of corrupt bastards.
Crocodile_Dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:55   #40
Feliuk
Administrator

Peña Member

nah China will be the next one!!

Last edited by Feliuk : 03-12-2010 at 13:01.
Old 03-12-2010, 14:28   #41
Chris

Chris is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari
i agree that many other nations merited it before Qatar, but how on earth football can reach new audiences unless and otherwise, these type of nations are allowed to participate?

If we're to assume that Qatar's bid triumphed on the basis that FIFA wanted to take it to a new destination, how come Australia - having only scored 2% less than Qatar in FIFA's report of all host candidates - was eliminated in the first round with 1 vote, placing behind countries that have had it as recently at 2002. That doesn't seem very fair.
Old 03-12-2010, 14:39   #42
deporiginal
Legend
Peña Member

I said, plenty of people from Poland for example will have been rooting for Russia. If "plenty of people from Poland" equals "all Eastern-Europeans", and if "rooting for" means "love", then yes Dephun, I said Eastern-Europeans love Russia Talk about putting words in someone's mouth
Old 03-12-2010, 14:44   #43
caabrego
Administrator
Peña Member

caabrego has disabled reputation

At least I now have an excuse to go to Russia and meet Sharapova
Old 03-12-2010, 14:45   #44
deporiginal
Legend
Peña Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caabrego
At least I now have an excuse to go to Russia and meet Sharapova
Hate to break it to you Carlos, but by that time she'll have been living in our luxury flat in Belgium for years
Old 03-12-2010, 15:56   #45
Michał
Peña Member

Michał is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And now yes - it is because I'm from the east.
Idiot! I'm from the central Europe, not east, but still
Michał is offline   Reply With Quote