Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > World Football
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

World Football For other football that's not related to Depor. For example: the Primera División, Segunda División A, Segunda División B, the Champions League, EURO 2008, the World Cup 2010, Italy, England, Germany, Turkey etc.

Old 07-04-2010, 00:12   #1
borinho

borinho is on a distinguished road
Default The best players in the history of football

messi all mighty
he's even now better than maradona ever was

Last edited by ggeorg : 07-04-2010 at 19:01.
borinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:17   #2
Chris

Chris is on a distinguished road

I hope you regularly watched Maradona during his Napoli days to come to such a bold conclusion.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:27   #3
hari

Peña Member

hari is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to hari

hahaha!! Chris seems to be really bitter... btw, i think Arsenal never really believed in overcoming Barca..

Last edited by hari : 07-04-2010 at 02:36.
hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:18   #4
Chris

Of course. I'm extremely bitter about the fickle nature of football.

I won't for a second deny that Messi is brilliant. He is. However, forgive me for not frothing at the mouth because he managed to consistently rip Arsenal's defence apart. I got a little bored after seeing Rooney, Drogba and Ibrahimovic all having done it with similar ease.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:54   #5
hari

Peña Member

may be they have.. i will never dare to compare players of top quality.. IMO, thats nonsense.. there is no unit to measure the footballing capability..
however his performances for the past few seasons are very consistent and i dont think anybody on that list have accomplished that..
anyway, wht abt fickle nature in football? i didnt get it.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:58   #6
Chris

I mean how people are deifying every virtuoso to play the game. When Ronaldo was putting in 40+ goals for United, fans pondered if he was better than George Best. Many United fans never even saw Best play. As you say, it's nonsense.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:21   #7
DepHun
Legend
Peña Member

DepHun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeporChris
Of course. I'm extremely bitter about the fickle nature of football.

I won't for a second deny that Messi is brilliant. He is. However, forgive me for not frothing at the mouth because he managed to consistently rip Arsenal's defence apart. I got a little bored after seeing Rooney, Drogba and Ibrahimovic all having done it with similar ease.
Sorry, I can't remember them scoring 4 in one match against Arsenal. And what makes Messi's effort even greater, that he starts from midfield his actions, dribbles through some 4 opp-defs, and scores then. The first and the fourht goal was totally a one man show. Even before the 3rd goal, he was the one that fighted with a header to re-gain the ball... Like against Zaragoza on the other week.
You mentioned Garrincha, I just say Puskás, Hidegkuti and Orth All of them were better than the Brazilian (we beat Brazilia 3-1 in Liverpool at '66 WC, without our heroes, a normal Hun-sub handled easily your idol)
Everyone has the right to say who is the world's best presently or ever, according to him
Old 07-04-2010, 12:35   #8
Chris

People can declare somebody to be the best all they want, the term is still entirely subjective and essentially lacking in any substance.

Quote:
All of them were better than the Brazilian (we beat Brazilia 3-1 in Liverpool at '66 WC, without our heroes, a normal Hun-sub handled easily your idol)

Yes, we can come to such conclusions based on one game. Forget that it was "my idlol's" last game, a game that took place following the knee operation that meant he wasn't the Garrincha of old. Let's also forget that Brazil missed Pele for that game, whilst it sounds like Hungary were endowed with their usual talent. See, entirely subjective.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:58   #9
Rack
Veteran
Peña Member

Rack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
People can declare somebody to be the best all they want, the term is still entirely subjective and essentially lacking in any substance...

Just wondering Chris, if you also extend that rationale to teams of different eras (i.e. were the Busby Babes better than the MU team of '99, or Gran Torino, or Real Madrid of the early Eurpoean Cup years, or the Liverpool team of the '80's, ACM of the '80's & '90's, or the current Barca side).?
Rack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 13:22   #10
Chris

I do.

Which football fan doesn't know about 1970 Brazil. Still, many Brazilians are torn as to whether or not that was their best team. The triumph was affirmation of their superiority, whilst the team of 1950 - every bit as good - was the victim of a tragedy, and somebody like Zizinho wasn't immortalised like Pele and Garrincha were.

Even if people agreed on that team, what about the Dutch pioneers that came along only four years later. It's endless.
Old 07-04-2010, 13:22   #11
DepHun
Legend
Peña Member

DepHun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
People can declare somebody to be the best all they want, the term is still entirely subjective and essentially lacking in any substance.

Yes, we can come to such conclusions based on one game. Forget that it was "my idlol's" last game, a game that took place following the knee operation that meant he wasn't the Garrincha of old. Let's also forget that Brazil missed Pele for that game, whilst it sounds like Hungary were endowed with their usual talent. See, entirely subjective.
subjective? me? I just went in this debate for the debate, like you, so to close this being off-topic, I confirm, that Garrincha could have been an out-standing player, although the only match I have seen with him, he did not show anything.
We were without Puskás (a Spanish int'l back then), Varga, Tichy and Fenyvesi, all of them top 25 all-time-Hun player.
maybe this theme would deserve a topic? George?
Old 07-04-2010, 15:40   #12
Rack
Veteran
Peña Member

Rack is on a distinguished road

Maybe this is slightly off-topic, but only slightly. We're discussing Messi's performance last night and whether or not he deserves the crown of the 'greatest' being placed on his head. My question to Chris about teams is equally valid and topical in the context that this Barca team is in itself now a 'great side', imo. Not just because they beat Arsenal senseless, but because they are winning (trophies) consistently.

Each great team from each era can only beat what's put in front of it. Liverpool in the 80's had no-one really to worry about and although they did play a good brand of football (for that time) it is no better than the football Arsenal are playing now (and they have won no trophies in years).

Personal opinions and preferences are always going to be subjective. But I do think the debates matter. Not on the field of play though. So, in that respect I agree with Chris, they are ultimately without substance. But in the bars and restaurants all over the globe where football is discussed, such debates will always form part of the rich tapestry of football fandome. It's the reason why we get emotional about things.

I'll bet if you were in the Camp Nou last night at the final whistle, 80,000 people, as one, were marvelling at the 'greatest player to ever pull on a pair of boots'. I, for one, am not going to say they are wrong.

Last edited by Rack : 07-04-2010 at 15:42.
Rack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 16:01   #13
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack
But in the bars and restaurants all over the globe where football is discussed, such debates will always form part of the rich tapestry of football fandome. It's the reason why we get emotional about things.

No doubt. That's one of the main reasons why so many people love the game. It's a universal language. Even though I don't like the idea of proclaiming the best, it's an interesting debate. And I do still like hearing about just how good some players were, such as George Best laughing at he dribbled the ball around a great Benfica team with ease, which only leaves me curious as to good some players really were. In that sense, I still like people enthusing these debates.
Old 07-04-2010, 17:33   #14
Filip
Administrator
Peña Member

Filip is an unknown quantity at this point

Maradona is still the best ever, and we won't know if Messi's gonna be bigger or better than in 5 years from now. This debate is too soon (even i like it though)

The most valuable argument: Maradona played with poor Napoli while Messi plays surrounded by other superstars. Pele didn't try anything in Europe...
Filip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 18:14   #15
hari

Peña Member

this is still a stupid debate.. i wud say why.. talk abt Xavi or Iniesta, they are the best in the world in their position.. how can it make them the best player ever? it depends on the positions that u play, the opponents, the rest of the team, league and a lot of other matters.. an one more thing, no one of Cristiano, Messi or Rooney have shown anything like their domestic league form for their countries.. if we take that into consideration, probably Ronaldo(Brazil) wud come on top of these players..
also Diego Milito, he has scored for all the teams that he has played for prolifically.. in Argentina, Spain or Italy, for top sides like Inter or average sides like Geona or Zaragoza.. he has scored consistently everywhere.. which leads me to think why on earth did RM spent €40 million on Benzema? Milito wud have costed half at best and score twoce or thrice more..