Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > The Fan Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Fan Forum The perfect place to arrange match meet-ups, post your photos, videos, wallpaper designs, animations and other stuff related to Deportivo La Coruña.

Old 17-05-2017, 17:12   #1
Diligent
Veteran

Peña Member

Diligent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Villarreal

Due to the lateness of match day being released, I did not book my flight until Wednesday last week. The consequence of this I guess had an effect on the low attendance of Depor fans at the El Madrigal on Sunday evening.

My journey started from Brighton on Sunday morning (06:30) travelling to Gatwick Airport for my (09:15) flight to Valencia. From there I had a combination of metro to the Valencia Nord train station and a suburban train that took me onto Vila-Real. I arrived at my hotel approximately around 16:00, and relaxed for a while before I headed towards the stadium which according to the hotel receptionist was a 30 minute walk.

The El Madrigal is a traditional football stadium located amongst the streets of the city. As you walk towards the ground, you suddenly see the floodlights in the distance telling you are nearly there.

Before my trip I found out to my surprise that Villarreal were selling tickets in the away sector (Grada Visitante) leading upto match day. So after purchasing my ticket (€15) I headed towards a bar around the corner where the majority of Depor fans were congregating.

From my memory the fans were mainly from Barcelona and Madrid. A guy travelled down from Barcelona (Peña Miau) on is motorbike with an american friend. Martin Pita from the club came over to say thank you to the fans for coming. At this point La Liga TV interviewed him, but more importantly spoke to a fan who could be from Madrid although she as wearing a Peña Verin scarf.

As we entered the stadium the security was very tight. One fan had his whole rucksack emptied and the security were debating whether his Eibar banner would be allowed in. lol

As we climbed four, five, six maybe seven (sorry lost count) flights of stairs to the Grada Visitante I found the El Madrigal had been remodelled on the inside and outside and looked rather nice, except the section for away supporters. I understand we going to be in the gods, but to watch the game behind a screen and netting above made me so angry. Anyway, I channelled my frustration into cheering the team onto Primera salvation.

The 30 odd depor fans in the Grada Visitante and some others spotted in other sections were heroes. After the game we returned to the bar for more Estrella Galicia's and continued the celebrations. After an hour or so we all made our separate ways home promising to meet up next season. I got lost walking back, if only my hotel had floodlights on it's roof.

Last edited by Diligent : 18-05-2017 at 09:35.
Diligent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 07:46   #2
ggeorg

Peña Member

ggeorg is an unknown quantity at this point

Brilliant Miles, thanx for sharing this

I always though that Madrigal has one of the most awful away sectors, thanx for confirming this.
Gets on the list "if you want to go to an away game, but missing the game" next to Camp Nou
ggeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 08:38   #3
Deporlover
Super-Seasoned

Deporlover is on a distinguished road

nice
Deporlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 10:36   #4
Rack
Veteran
Peña Member

Rack is on a distinguished road

If I'm ever there, will make sure to avoid that away section Thanks for the resume Miles.
Rack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 15:50   #5
DepHun
Veteran
Peña Member

DepHun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent
The El Madrigal is a traditional football stadium located amongst the streets of the city. .
city? what an exaggeration. I am surprised any-one else did not say anything on this.
Old 18-05-2017, 16:25   #6
Diligent
Veteran

Peña Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepHun
city? what an exaggeration. I am surprised any-one else did not say anything on this.

Well what constitutes a city in Spain may differ to that of Hungary or the United Kingdom for that matter. Vila-Real is classed as a city on Wikipedia. It's my bible and I swear by it and they don't lie

Alternatively you can log onto Wikipedia and edit its status to town, village, hamlet or whatever you feel it deserves

Please let me know of any other errors in the original post

Last edited by Diligent : 18-05-2017 at 18:16.
Old 19-05-2017, 00:05   #7
depooor
Peña Member

depooor is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice ..thanks for sharing ...any pics though
Old 19-05-2017, 11:15   #8
Diligent
Veteran

Peña Member

Thanks for everyone's comments. Unfortunately no photos from me, but searching the web etc, etc
Old 19-05-2017, 13:13   #9
Blue_Nation
Peña Member

Blue_Nation is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Miles! That was a great reading, brilliantly written

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent
After the game we returned to the bar for more Estrella Galicia's and continued the celebrations. After an hour or so we all made our separate ways home promising to meet up next season. I got lost walking back, if only my hotel had floodlights on it's roof.

After a few Estrellas, anything can happen, even getting lost in a small city/village like Villarreal
Blue_Nation is offline   Reply With Quote