Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > Deportivo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Deportivo Discuss Real Club Deportivo de La Coruña here: its history, matches, Riazor etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 14:05   #1
Leon
Banned
Peña MemberBanned

Leon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LIGA: 25.11.2007 Athletic Bilbao - Deportivo (pre-match comments)

After twelve matches, Bilbao are developing themselves somewhat similar to Deportivo. Led by ex-Depor coach Caparrós, they have just one point more than Deportivo so this different we can forget about. The Liga standings indicate that both teams are getting the same results. What both teams also share is their use of youngsters and lack of goals upfront. What is different between the teams is the place where they get the points and their approach of the game.

Deportivo are doing much better away from home. Bilbao always used to be very strong at home, but this year are equal (in getting points) away as home and this doesn’t always mean performing well. In six home matches against teams of (more or less) comparable level (Recre, Betis, Almeria, Atletico, Zaragoza, Osasuna) they have taken just seven points which include just one win but also just one loss. There’s also balance between goals scored and leaked: four. In three of their six home games Bilbao couldn’t score, while the visitors also were denied scoring on three occasions.

Away from home there have been two wins and four defeats. The wins have come against comparable teams (at Valladolid and Levante), there were losses against Espanyol and Getafe. Bilbao lost the two matches at top teams Villarreal and Barcelona. Bilbao scored six goals and leaked ten. In all away matches they leaked at least one goal every matches and Bilbao themselves were denied scoring on two occasions.

It’s difficult to make a precise interpretation of these numbers. But we can say that at home they have troubles getting points/scoring goals, but at least they don’t lose those matches (contrary to Depor). On the other side, they’re not that stable enough to be more consistent away from home. Except the two matches against Valladolid and Levante, when both these teams were really troubled, they didn’t take any point.

The focus will be on Bilbao’s home matches, because they’ll be the hosts of Deportivo. Based on numbers, the advantage is slight in the advantage of Deportivo. Although both teams are of equal strength and Bilbao rarely win or lose at home, the strong performances of Deportivo away could make the difference. As usual, and as was confirmed against Racing, the first goal will be very important. A physical strong Bilbao will be difficult to beat if they take the lead at home. They have only leaked four goals so far in Bilbao. On the other hand, if Deportivo score the first goal, their passing game and speed could finish this match while Bilbao would have an almost impossible task two score at least two goals.

Of Deportivo is said that ‘luck’ has been against them this season based on their game. The team should have taken three points at Espanyol and the same goes for the Racing match. Against either Madrid or Valencia one point out of six had been reasonable too. All other results have been somehow fair. This means that at least four points could have been taken. Barcelona scored two lucky goals against Bilbao, but Athlétic weren’t equal to them. At Levante they were more efficient than the home side. Bilbao deserved more than losing against Atlético and were somewhat naïve at Villarreal. At Espanyol they could have taken a point. Overall, they could have had maybe one or two points more. So, one can say that ‘luck’ has influenced Depor more negatively.

The game offered is also more in the advantage of Deportivo. The passing game has given good critics. Bilbao, meanwhile, have played several matches (including recently) where they simply failed to create much. One can say that their matches are more ‘boring’. That might not be a surprise knowing who’s their coach…

Anyway, is there a difference on the player level? One can say that Bilbao have some great talents, but overall their average age is higher than Deportivo’s. On the individual level (in total) they seem to have less qualities.
Iraizoz (26, ex-Espanyol) is their goalkeeper. Not bad, not great. In defence they have Iraola (25) at the right, Del Horno (26, ex-Chelsea/Valencia) at the left and Aitor Ocio (30, ex-Sevilla) and Amorebieta (22) in the centre. Amorebieta, who was born in Venezuela, needs special mention because he has raised the interest of Chelsea and Liverpool. Overall, this defence, combined with their goalkeeper, is a little bit more than average to Primera standards. Their reserves Koi (26), Ustaritz (24), Exposito (27), Zubiaurre (24) and Murillo (24) don’t make a difference.

Their midfield is reasonable too, with one star player: central midfielder Javi Martinez (19) who has raised the interest of Manchester United. Javi Martinez was bought for €6 million(!) in the summer of 2006 from Osasuna. Orbaiz (28) is their defensive midfielder who a few years ago played some matches for Spain. Then there are David Lopez (25, ex-Osasuna) and Gabilondo (28, ex-Real Sociedad). Their bench, like for their defence, doesn’t improve what they have: Muñoz (29, ex-Osasuna), Tiko (31) and David Cuellar (28, ex-Gimnastic). What they still have in hand is Yeste (27).

With their defence and midfield being somewhat above average, what makes it that they’re have such problems? Even their attack is doing all right looking at numbers and names: Usually Aduriz (26) and Susaeta (19) play upfront, and sometimes Etxeberria (30). Aduriz does reasonable with 19 goals in 60 Liga matches so far including a hat trick at Zaragoza last year. Not many Depor players can repeat that. Veteran Exteberria is doing reasonably this season with three goals, of which two against Recre. Their huge talent is Susaeta, with interest of Manchester United. This winger scored in the first two Liga matches, but hasn’t scored since. That ain’t bad, but not spectacular.

So what’s Bilbao’s problem? I think it’s that they have these three players upfront, of which two play at one time, but none of them is decisive on a regular basis. Aduriz has scored two goals, but did these in ‘doubles’ at Levante (1-2) and Valladolid (1-2). He hasn’t scored in all other matches including home. Susaeta, as said, hasn’t scored since early September. Etxeberria is their substitute and not a natural goalscorer. How about their bench? Velez (22) and Fernando Llorente (22) are young and have a future ahead, but with a combined 606 minutes (more than ten hours on the pitch!) they haven’t scored a single goal. Add to this that until this weekend no other player in their squad had scored a single Liga goal expect Aduriz, Susaeta and Exteberria. Against Espanyol it was Gabilondo who scored a goal being a midfielder. Their goal was Bilbao-typical: long ball from defender Amorebieta, header from Aduriz to Gabilondo who scores.

So, our basis for success at Bilbao looks simple: prevent Bilbao from scoring (of course), and that means prevent Aduriz and Susaeta from scoring and later Exteberria when he comes in. If Depor achieve this, the chances of Bilbao scoring a goal a goal is minimal. Besides, they have a predictable game. Of course, the same goes for Bilbao: prevent Xisco and Guardado from scoring and later Riki, Bodipo or Taborda when they come on…. Hence the importance of the first goal, because with so few players on the pitch capable to score a goal….

It will be clear that differences between both teams are minimal. But Depor’s passing game, compared to Bilbao’s physical game, gives another advantage: fouls. The fact that Depor are, after Barcelona, Spain’s most fair team means that Bilbao won’t get many free-kicks etc. Remember that Depor’s tactics last year, under Capa, were to use standard situations. Add to this that, although Bilbao and Depor have achieved the same results, the method of Bilbao has been more rough: Until the Espanyol match they had sixteen players with at least one card and a total of 35 single yellow cards, two yellow cards which meant sending-off and three direct red(!). So: five sending-offs in total for Ocio, Del Horno, Koi and Amorebieta (who’s not as good against small strikers as against tall ones) even twice already. So, free-kicks should be in the advantage of Deportivo and there could emerge numeric superiority.

With an eye on suspensions: of course, Filipe is out after his stupid red card. But if I’m informed correctly, talented midfielder Javi Martinez received his fifth yellow card against Espanyol and is suspended for the Deportivo match. It’s true that left back is Depor’s soft spot. But with Manuel Pablo on the left and Barragan on the right that could be covered well. I don’t know how Bilbao are going to replace Javi Martinez.

It will be close, and it will be difficult, but IMO a result should be possible in Bilbao.

Last edited by Leon : 12-11-2007 at 14:22.
Old 12-11-2007, 14:25   #2
Ricardo
Peña Member

Ricardo is an unknown quantity at this point

We have to get something from this game.
I fear another defeat will really hurt us.. we need to start winning games.
Overall I have been happy with our last couple of games, we have played well, but we dont have the points to show for it.

I think we play this system for our next game..

.........................................Dudu..... ...................................
M.Pablo..........................Colo............. .Piscu.......................?.......
.................................De Guzman....Sergio.................................. .....
I.Carril..................................Verdu... ...............................Guardado.........
...........................................Bodipo. .................................................

I dont know who's goona play at left back with Felipe banned?!?
we really need to strengthen in this position!
I feel I.Carril deserves a chance on the right, he has scored 3 goals this season for the Fabril.. Christian, Lafita, P.Alvarez have not impressed in that position.
I would start with Bodipo to see how well he does, maybe bringing on Xisco on 60 mins to partner Bodipo upfront.... if not Ruben could also do a job for us in the last 25 mins or so.
I only pick Sergio because A.Thomas is injured and Juanro has not really impressed.
Old 12-11-2007, 14:34   #3
Barkoty
Legend
Peña Member

Barkoty is on a distinguished road

Here's my lineup:
Dudu
MP----Colo---Piscu---Filipe
---Sergio----De Guzman---
Riki---Verdu---Guardado---
----------Xisco----------
Old 12-11-2007, 15:15   #4
DepHun
Veteran
Peña Member

DepHun is on a distinguished road

it will be non-less than JUDGEMENT DAY.
Old 12-11-2007, 15:31   #5
The DK Blanquiazul
Peña Member

The DK Blanquiazul is on a distinguished road

No excuses this time. A vital match, and I expect 3 points. Also, we have been good away, so this is a match we have and will win!

Old 12-11-2007, 15:41   #6
Philip
Veteran
Peña Member

Philip is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Philip

Tough match... IMO this is a must win against direct rival...But it will be hard to win thsi one. Hope we will win..
Old 12-11-2007, 15:58   #7
MolinaFan
Seasoned Member
Peña Member

MolinaFan is an unknown quantity at this point

Wht happened to Barragan?
Old 12-11-2007, 16:19   #8
Barkoty
Legend
Peña Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolinaFan
Wht happened to Barragan?
Out of form, I guess...
Old 12-11-2007, 17:30   #9
dejan84
Banned

Peña MemberBanned

dejan84 is an unknown quantity at this point

i can make this short, if we cannot beat capa we should start looking for a new coach
Old 12-11-2007, 17:34   #10
caabrego
Administrator
Peña Member

caabrego has disabled reputation

A little early for the preview, don't you think Leon?

I can only say this: screw Caparros!
Old 12-11-2007, 17:35   #11
Barkoty
Legend
Peña Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caabrego

Old 12-11-2007, 22:11   #12
depooor
Peña Member

depooor is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by caabrego
A little early for the preview, don't you think Leon?

Why are you seeing this is it you envy him !!!

Frankly capa is doing good with bilbao with just baskie players !! Unlike this stupid Lotina who has good players but not able to maintain a good level !!

Last edited by depooor : 12-11-2007 at 22:14.
Old 12-11-2007, 22:36   #13
caabrego
Administrator
Peña Member

caabrego has disabled reputation

Yes sure, so good that they have only won one match at home, just like our case

envy? what I want is to demonstrate that he's an impostor.
Old 12-11-2007, 23:38   #14
Martin
Super-Seasoned

Peña Member

Martin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon
It will be close, and it will be difficult, but IMO a result should be possible in Bilbao.

I think the same & lets also hope for a good match. I need to celebrate a goal and a win.

We will be flying the away support for this one

for a look at our shirt evolution / new site uploaded
Old 13-11-2007, 04:55   #15
depooor
Peña Member

depooor is an unknown quantity at this point

I get it Cabrego

If lotina wants to win this Match then he should use counter attacks

So Riki and xisc will be good for the Job

for the left side defender If lotina gonna bring a Fabril player to cover this area then he must make guradado plays at the back a little bit