Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > Deportivo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Deportivo Discuss Real Club Deportivo de La Coruña here: its history, matches, Riazor etc.

Old 26-10-2014, 19:37   #1
aldo
Super-Seasoned
Peña Member

aldo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to aldo Send a message via MSN to aldo
Default LIGA: 26-10-2014 | 17h00 | matchday 09 | Espanyol v Depor| post-match thread

Looks like we all don't want to, but let's get this done then

I know most people will say this was a terrible game, and most of the time it was. However, there was a little more to it in my opinion and far from everything was negative.

From the very first minute we never had any kind of ball control, and I don't just mean possession spells but even any remote chance of a counter got wasted after a few passes, if any. Obviously, Lucas' injury didn't help but I don't think it would have made a big difference. He could have scored in an individual play but it was quite clear early on that this wasn't going to be a good game.

When we reached half time without conceding, I had some hope that things might be a bit different in the second as they often are, but Espanyol caused us even more trouble. The thing is, they simply did a pretty good job both in and out of possession, and it just wasn't our day to match that. I'd say the majority of balls we lost weren't because of sloppy passing but because they pressed us really well and consistently.

I think VF did the right thing then to acknowledge that we weren't going to play football anymore and opted for the full-on physical approach with Postiga for Cuenca and Alex for Medunjanin. The important thing and the reason we got the point, aside from a bit of luck, was the once again incredible sacrifice and intensity by every single player on the pitch, as well as being very organised at every moment. Of course they had lots of chances but that's just something you can't prevent from happening if all of their gifted players are having a good day as well as the whole team applying constant pressure. Also very encouraging that they ran out of steam before us so the final minutes were quite calm, we've made huge progress physically.

This is exactly how you get a point from a game where things just don't work out because the opponent is better. We have once again shown virtues that will be essential for a team fighting for the salvation so this horrible game of football gives me hope once again that we won't go down this time.
aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 19:45   #2
depooor
Peña Member

depooor is an unknown quantity at this point

a point with a taste of win against a fighting Espanyol
Old 26-10-2014, 20:35   #3
caabrego
Administrator
Peña Member

caabrego has disabled reputation

Finally some luck
Old 26-10-2014, 22:38   #4
Ricardo
Peña Member

Ricardo is an unknown quantity at this point

A bad performance, but a decent result.
Farina once again had a poor game.
Positive: Fabricio
Old 27-10-2014, 00:26   #5
depooor
Peña Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo
A bad performance, but a decent result.
Farina once again had a poor game.
Positive: Fabricio

am sure there is somehow a tactical thing about his presence in the game, otherwise victor would replace him with Juan Carlos or Jose Rodriquez
Old 27-10-2014, 07:44   #6
deporiginal
Legend
Peña Member

deporiginal is an unknown quantity at this point

No offense but Juan Carlos in this type of game would be completely disastrous as well.

Anyway, I'm happy with the point, and as aldo says, we managed to grab a point at a team that was much better than us. The thing is, how can a team with similar recourses be so much better than us? I'm a little worried we pretty much didn't even manage to cross into their side of the pitch just once. We almost made Espanyol look like FC Barcelona, and they're only two points ahead of us.
Old 27-10-2014, 08:39   #7
Iztok
Super-Seasoned
Peña Member

Iztok is an unknown quantity at this point

It is very clear that Espanyoll played better and deserved more then we. But I think that this team has finally learned a valuable lesson - how to suffer and sometimes survive. The difference with the game against Valencia is not so much about us, but more of the opposition. Valencia came on as they already won the game, without pressure, fight or will, but Espanyoll did just the opposite and they cut our game completely.

I couldn't agree more with Aldo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo
The thing is, they simply did a pretty good job both in and out of possession, and it just wasn't our day to match that. I'd say the majority of balls we lost weren't because of sloppy passing but because they pressed us really well and consistently.

In this way we saw that we don't posses so much individual talent to overcome such a disciplined and aggresive opponent. We had to suffer, so bringing Alex on was a good idea - I only though it was too late as Medunjanin was again a bit lost. Sometimes he is brilliant, sometimes he looks like he is not on the pitch - a real hot/cold player to say. Jose Rguez was very bad, made several mistakes, also he played out of position - playmaker, winger, never in a central midfield, but still there is no excuse for just passing the ball to the opposition. The full backs had severe problems, while Insua-Sidnei + Wilk partnership works fine, only Insua made one big mistake - he needs to be more carefull. Fabri saved a lot, but is a bit too rushed to come out - he needs to settle and pick his runs - otherwise our man of the match for sure.

All in all, a point on the road against one of the teams that we can fight with is good enough, learning to suffer - priceless
Old 27-10-2014, 13:47   #8
depooor
Peña Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deporiginal
No offense but Juan Carlos in this type of game would be completely disastrous as well.

Anyway, I'm happy with the point, and as aldo says, we managed to grab a point at a team that was much better than us. The thing is, how can a team with similar recourses be so much better than us? I'm a little worried we pretty much didn't even manage to cross into their side of the pitch just once. We almost made Espanyol look like FC Barcelona, and they're only two points ahead of us.

then who should be a better substitute for him in a game like this one?

I was thinking before the game that sometimes coaches change one or two players (compared to the previous game) depending on who's the opposing team and their style of playing.

Do you think it should have been done instead of using the same players ?
Old 27-10-2014, 13:58   #9
Rack
Veteran
Peña Member

Rack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo
...The important thing and the reason we got the point, aside from a bit of luck, was the once again incredible sacrifice and intensity by every single player on the pitch, as well as being very organised at every moment...

Nice post aldo.
As you say above, we fought a rearguard action as a unit and that's what earned us a draw. We stank in possession though and that's always worrying. Impressed with the workrate of Cavaleiro, as well as Fabri's performance.
Move on to Getafe and continue the hard work during the trainings.
Rack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 23:07   #10
tonideportivoBG
Super-Seasoned
Peña Member

tonideportivoBG is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tonideportivoBG

The things is that Fabri kept up this point for us, it was a bad performance if they had scored we would go over 2 for sure we were just the lucky side finally i don't know how much the team has grown it's way too soon for this after being without lose 2 games in a row. Completely agree with the post about the sacrifice and the courage of our players indeed they deserved applause.
Old 28-10-2014, 00:53   #11
nitraM
Super-Seasoned
Peña Member

nitraM is on a distinguished road

Fabricio is looking good as a contender for the Zamora trophy right now!
nitraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 10:02   #12
Rack
Veteran
Peña Member

Rack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitraM
Fabricio is looking good as a contender for the Zamora trophy right now!

We'll need the 2 Barca games and the return with RM in the Bernabeu to be abandoned, just to get out with a fantastic -9 goal deficit
Rack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 01:11   #13
Riazor warriors
Veteran
Peña Member

Riazor warriors is on a distinguished road

I'm not happy for what i saw, if we repeat the game 10 times we will get a point maybe once. I can't believe that Espanyol dominated us like that, we could do nothing, no passing no scoring opportunities, awful performance and lucky point thanks to our luck & Fabricio
Riazor warriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 06:36   #14
walex
Peña Member

walex is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to walex Send a message via Yahoo to walex

Espanyol is not a small club on is home we go there and come back with a point is okay by me but I pray by the day espanyol will come my home we are graping the full and it's going to be 4 point from them