Squad news


02 Dec 2011
62% of the goals conceded by Deportivo on the season have been scored within the first twenty or the final ten minutes of the games. It’s a worrying stat that already cost eleven points to Oltra’s team.

The defensive tasks are still a pending issue at Deportivo; the team of Oltra has already allowed twenty-one goals after fifteen matchdays, it’s the fifth worst mark at Liga Adelante and definitely an obstacle in the quest for the promotion to Primera División.

What calls the attention is the moment when the goals are arriving, so far Deportivo has allowed seven goals within the first twenty minutes of the games, while six have been leaked within the final ten minutes, this means that 62% of the goals have been scored in that frame of the league matches, in other words within a period of thirty minutes, while the remaining 38% have been leaked in the middle frame of sixty minutes.

It’s a worrying fact as the beginning and the end of the matches should be the moment when the teams are more focused, actually those early and late goals already cost eleven points to Deportivo. Firstly in the infamous visit to AD Alcorcón, match in which Depor allowed three goals in twenty minutes to end losing 0-4.

Then at CD Alcoyano, match in which Deportivo allowed a goal at the beginning and the end of the match to end defeated 0-2. The home clash with Gimnástic Tarragona seemed under control until the Catalans scored the equalizer and then a late goal that was neutralized by Aythami. And in the last visit, at Elche CF, Depor had things under control until allowing two goals within the first twenty minutes; Depor reacted and equalized the score, but allowed a new goal that cost the defeat.

Definitely it’s a factor that Deportivo most control in order to stop the bleeding of points, mainly during the away meetings, because six of the seven goals allowed within the first twenty minutes came when Depor was playing away from the Riazor. That’s an important fact to have in mind now that the Galicians visit a direct rival, a Real Valladolid that was always a tough opponent at the José Zorilla stadium.

Another stat to have in mind is the kind of play in which the goals have arrived; of the twenty-one goals allowed so far five came in a counterattack, five were normal plays in which the rivals broke the defense by the centre, four came with crosses from the wings, while Oltra’s team has only leaked three goals in strategic plays (two corner-kicks and one free-kick).



Back to Squad news