Squad news


04 Jun 2013
Deportivo B advanced to the second round of the playoffs after a suffering series against UD Cornellá. The Galicians were eliminated by half-time, but a goal of Luis secured the ticket and the team still alive in the quest to Segunda B.

Coach José Luis Devesa was having the important casualties of Paulo Teles and Jorge Romay, duo that missed the game due to injury reasons.  These absences moved him to make changes and switch the draw into a 4-3-3. Marc Martinez defended the goal, Iván González played at the right-back position, Ángel Martinez played at the left, while the central defenders were Uxío Marcos and Pablo Insua.

At midfield, Sidibé and Adrián Martínez were joined by Diego Vela, who performed towards the right side, Álvaro Lemos played at the right wing, the left flank was for Jorge Cano and Luis Fernandez lead the attack.

Unio Sportiva Cornellà arrived to the second-leg losing in the aggregate score, but with the advantage of been playing at Estadio Municipal de Cornellá, a modern pitch with artificial turf that was inaugurated in 2012.  coach Jordi Roger only presented one novelty at the squad compared to the first match and it was the presence of Franco Sanchirico at the centre of the defense. The main threat in attack was once again striker Enrique Gallego ‘Enric’.

The series was in favour of Fabril (3-1) and the Galicians arrived to the meeting with the confidence of knowing that never before the team had wasted a two-goal advantage in a playoff series. The attendance to the game (3,184) was a record in the history of the Catalan club, among them the attenders was the members of Depor’s peña in Barcelona.

Tough and deceiving match for Deportivo B, Devesa’s team seemed to have things under control, but a lack of distraction cost two goals at the edge of half-time, for this reason the team was eliminated for twenty minutes, but the team improved in the second part and found a vital goal through the same connection that has worked the whole season: Lemos-Luis.

And it’s that, despite the initial harassment of Cornellà, Fabril didn’t face too many problems at the beginning of the first half. The Catalans had the ball possession, but their physical game based in the aerial power didn’t harm the goal defended by Marc Martinez, who was returning to his home club, though this was his first game at the artificial pitch of Estadio Municipal de Cornellá.

The first chance for the locals came in a long-range attempt of Enric after Uxío lost the ball (11’), he missed the target. Nine minutes later, Pep Caballé, the best player in the game for Cornellá, missed the target inside the box. And before this play David García had missed the goal after heading out a corner-kick (18’).

The first shot on target came until minute 35, Joel Marín made a throw-in and winger Xoel Puerto had an attempt on goal that was saved by Marc Martinez. By this moment the pressure of Cornellá was decreasing, but suddenly the locals were going to score twice before the half-time mark.

And all started with a polemic play in which striker Boris Barros put pressure over Marc Martinez, who couldn’t clear the ball and the attacker scored from close range. The action should have been whistled as a foul, but referee González Francés allowed the goal. And just five minutes later a new distraction in defense cost the second goal, a lateral free-kick couldn’t be cleared by Fabril’s defenders and Dani Marti scored with a volley from the far post.

The lack of concentration within the final minutes of the first part was causing the elimination, the players were so angry that Insua was booked in the way to the changing room for protesting to the referee. Hours later Marc Martinez posted a picture on Twitter of his foot after the action with Boris. Depor B’s youngsters were needing a reaction and maturity, and they showed this virtue in the second part.

Devesa ordered a change and Cano was replaced by Dani Iglesias, something that switched the draw into a 4-4-2, it brought more stability to the team, because Dani was playing behind Luis and helped to put pressure up front marking the Catalan centre midfielders. As result of this Cornellà lost the ball possession and Fabril had the initiative.

Still, there were no goal attempts within the first fourteen minutes, until the connection Álvaro Lemos-Luis Fernández showed up to pull a vital goal for Depor B, Insua begun the play assisting Lemos and he released a perfect cross that Luis pushed into the net past local goalie José Bermúdez.

Now Cornellà needed a goal to force the extra-time, and the last twenty-five minutes were pretty exciting as the Catalans were pressing, while Depor B found the crack to release the counterattacks. At minute 67, Joel Marin fired from long-range and Marc Martinez made the save, in the next play Diego Vela missed the target from the edge of the area.

At minute 73, Lemos missed the chance to equalize the game after been assisted by Vela, but José Bermúdez made the save. Two minutes later Enric entered into the area, but it was Marc Martinez who got the ball first. Devesa refreshed the attack with the entry of Víctor for Luis and in the next play Dani Iglesias missed the target after been assisted by Vela.

The game seemed opened until Ángel Martinez was sent off after been booked twice in a matter of ten minutes. Devesa replaced Dani Iglesias, who just entered at the beginning of the second part, with José Manuel in order to protect the result. Still, the Galician team suffered a lot within the last three minutes plus the five of added time, mainly when Didi Rodriguez hit the post in a free-kick action (90+1’)

Fabril had things under control during big part of the first part, but a lack of concentration during the final minutes put the team in a difficult position as the youngsters were at the edge of elimination, but there was a reaction in the second part that allowed to score a goal and even having the chance to tie the game. The Galicians suffered within the final minutes, but kept the narrow advantage to pass this tough test.

The draw for the second round in the playoffs took place on Monday and the rival of Fabril will be CD Tuilla, team that won the Asturian group only suffering seven defeats in the regular tournament, but they lost in the round of group winners facing UD Las Palmas Atlético (agg. 1-4). The first-leg will be played this weekend at Abegondo; the second at El Candín stadium (2,800 spectators) in two weeks.

Cornellá: (4-2-3-1) José Bermúdez - Joel (Luis Gaudioso 84’), Franco, Raúl Capó, Israel - Dani Martí, Caballé (Juli 73’), David, Boris, Xavi Puerto (Didi 78’) - Enric Gallego
Deportivo B: (4-3-3) Marc Martínez - Iván, Uxío, Insua, Ángel – Vela, Sidibé, Adrián Martínez – Lemos, Luis Fernández (Víctor 83’), Cano (Dani Iglesias 46’ José Manuel 90+1’).
Goals: 1-0: (37’) Boris, 2-0: (42’) Dani Martin, 2-1: (59’) Luis
Referee: González Francés. He showed yellow card to Insua (45’), Dani Marti (54’), Enric (75’), Didi (90+3’) and Boris (90+4’). Ángel was sent off with two yellow cards (76’ & 86’)
Venue: Estadio Municipal de Cornellá (3,184)
Stats: Attempts to score (8 – 7); Corner-kicks (8 – 6); Fouls committed (18 – 8)



Back to Competition news