Competition news


10 Aug 2014
Great offensive performance by Depor before a weak rival. Fariña scored twice, while Cavaleiro and Isaac Cuenca debuted with Deportivo. Toché scored the third goal after been assisted by Luisinho.

Coach Víctor Fernández allowed the debut of Iván Cavaleiro despite he had only completed two training sessions. The rest was the expected squad. Lux was the goalkeeper, Laure performed at the right side of the defense, Canella covered the left sector, while Lopo and Insua were the centre-backs.

Juan Dominguez and José Rodriguez were the centre midfielders, Cavaleiro attacked from the right wing, Luisinho did it from the left, Luis Fariña was the playmaker and Toché was the central attacker.

At Nacional, coach Álvaro Gutierrez presented the expected 4-4-2 lineup. Lenadro Barcia and Iván Alonso were the references up front. Diego Arismendi was the motor at midfield and ex-Depor Gustavo Munúa was the starting goalie.

Acceptable performance by Depor during their first game at the Riazor during the new season. There were problems at defense, but the offensive line resolved the game within the first fifteen minutes. Cavaleiro had a promising debut and Luis Fariña was the best player.

The game was intense since the beginning; Nacional were pushing up front and Depor were having the ball possession. And the first goal arrived early. Cavaleiro tried to drill the ball inside the area, a defender got the ball, but a bad pass at the back line left Fariña alone inside the area and the Argentine crossed Munúa with a drilling attempt.

And the second goal arrived four minutes later. Toché assisted José Rodriguez and then the ball was passed to Cavaleiro, who was alone enough at the edge of the area to release a strong shot that Munúa deflected, but the loose ball went into the path of Fariña, who coolly finished the play from close range.

Nacional had a great chance to reduce the distance at minute 15, Lux was almost surprised by a long throw and barely deflected the ball that was searching for his far post, Iván Alonso arrived on time to push the ball in, but instead he smashed it into the body of the keeper and the ball was later cleared by the defense.

Depor were looking sharp up front, with José Rodriguez and Juan Dominguez controlling midfield territory, Cavaleiro was pretty active and added velocity on the right wing, while Fariña was ending the plays. The problem was the lack of aim at defense, Lopo and Insua weren’t synchronized and the Galicians suffered at the back zone. At minute 19, the Uruguayans had another great chance, Iván Alonso assisted with a header and Gastón Pereiro missed the target with his low shot from the edge of the area.

José Rodriguez only lasted 26 minutes on the pitch and had to be replaced due to an ankle injury. He was replaced by Álex Bergantiños. The pace was slower within the last minutes of the first part; Depor were still having the ball possession, while it continued to suffer mismatches at defense that almost cost problems in the counterattack. But there were no clear goal opportunities within the last fifteen minutes.

The script continued for the second half; Depor were defending the result having the ball possession, while Nacional had to play on the counterattack. The first goal attempt in the second part came at minute 51, Ignacio González found the ball at the near post after a cross from the left, but his header missed the target.

The Uruguayan outfit was starting to push and had two straight corner-kicks, but then Depor killed the game with the third goal. Luisinho beat the offside trap drilling the ball inside the area, Toché arrived on time and netted the goal with a strong and low shot past Munúa. Two minutes later Fariña assisted Luisinho on the left wing and the high shot of the Portuguese missed the target.

Then the game lost the pace as both teams started to make the changes. Isaac Cuenca had his first minutes with Depor, while Fabril’s centre-back Iago López debuted at the Riazor. He joined Insua at the centre, for some minutes Álex Bergantiños was playing there after Lopo was replaced by Wilk. Ex-Depor Taborda and Sebastian Fernández also entered at Nacional.

Cuenca appeared for the first time at minute 75, he picked the ball at the edge of the area, eluded a rival and released a drilling shot that missed the target. One minute later he collected a long pass from Álex Bergantiños, but couldn’t resolve the play before Munúa. The game ended with an opportunity for Taborda, but the header of the striker missed the target (89’).

On Sunday, Deportivo will play the final in the Teresa Herrera facing Sporting Gijón (20h30 CET). Before Sporting Clube de Portugal will face Nacional de Montevideo in the match for the third place (18h00 CET).

Deportivo: (4-2-3-1) Lux – Laure, Lopo (Wilk 61’), Insua, Canella - José Rodríguez (Álex Bergantiños 26’), Juan Domínguez (Iago López 72’) – Cavaleiro (Cuenca 61’), Fariña (Juan Carlos 72’), Luisinho – Toché (Borja Bastón 61’)
Nacional: (4-4-2) Munúa - Álvarez, García, De los Santos, Manuel Díaz (Espino 89’) – Pereiro (Taborda 65’), Arismendi (Porras 65’), Romero, González (De Peña 65’) – Barcia (Calzada 65’), Iván Alonso (Seba Fernández 65’).
Goals: 1-0: (7’) Fariña, 2-0: (11’) Fariña, 3-0: (55’) Toché
Referee: Iglesias Villanueva. He showed yellow card to De Los Santos (31’), Toché (41’) & Borja Bastón (64’)
Venue: Riazor (13,000)



Related news


Related matches

09.08.2014: DLC vs. Nacional de Montevideo

Back to Competition news