Squad news


08 Jan 2018
Fabril were unable to break the strategy of a more experienced team, Uxío entered at minute 65 and could have rescued a point after scoring once and hitting the post later.

First game in 2018 and Gustavo Munúa was dragging the same old problems from last year, because he was having a long list of casualties: Carlos López, Lucas Viña, Luis, Bicho, Jardel, Queijeiro and Luismi were all out injured, while centre-back Steve One was picked by the first team for the match at Villarreal C.

The lineup was a 4-2-3-1 figure with Francis Uzoho covering the goal, Blas Alonso performed at the right-back position, Raúl González and Quique Fornos were the centre-backs, Lucas Viña performed at the left flank. Edu Expósito and Gaizka Martinez were the centre midfielders, Óscar García attacked from the right wing. Jorge Romay was the playmaker, Borja Galán performed on the left wing and Ismael Díaz was the centre forward.

The rival was CF Fuenlabrada, the leader in the group with only two more points than Fabril. The Madrilenians arrived to the game with only two defeats on the season (one of them in the opening matchday with Fabril). Coach Antonio Calderón was relying in Dioni as the main reference in attack, the ex-player of Fabril is the top-scorer of the team with 12 goals scored before the meeting.

A more experienced CF Fuenlabrada picked the three points before a Fabril that never knew how to face the game, the locals only reacted at the end, it scored once and could have rescued a point, but Uxío hit the post at minute 85.

The game started with a Fabril that wasn’t feeling comfortable on the pitch, because the visiting side was putting a high pressure. The locals were having the ball, but had big problems to step into the rivals’ area. The first chance to score was for CF Fuenlabrada.

It was a counterattack in which Dioni entered by the right wing, his drilling shot was deflected by Francis, the loose ball was found by Dani Fernández and his attempt from the far post was repealed by Fornos (8’).

 Fabril’s first approximation came until minute 15, it was a counterattack in which the lads had big problems to move the ball due to the mark, Ismael Díaz found Óscar on the left wing, but his cross didn’t find a receiver.

At the middle of the first part it was clear that CF Fuenlabrada was the best team on the pitch, at minute 22 Dioni had a new opportunity, he picked the ball at the left side of the area and his strong shot was cleared by Francis to corner-kick.

Fabril were not only having problems due the pressure from the rival, but also due their poor passes. The Galician lads were missing too many passes n the transitions defence-attack, therefore it wasn’t strange to see their first shot arriving until minute 29. It was an attempt by Borja Galán that was blocked by visiting goalie Pol Freixanet.

There was a slight improvement within the last fifteen minutes. Borja Galán missed the target in a direct free-kick from the edge of the area (31’), then Óscar made a great play on the right wing, but his cross couldn’t be controlled by neither Borja Galán nor Ismael Díaz (33’). At minute 36, Romay picked the ball at the edge of the area, but his low shot missed the target.

 The final part started with the first goal of Fuenlabrada, it was a corner-kick action in which no one was able to clear the ball, Randy found it and scored with a low shot past Francis. Fabril tried to react and Romay could have tied the score, but he couldn’t connect the ball in a cross coming from the right (52’).

At minute 57, the locals had a double chance. Edu Expósito found the ball at the edge of the area and his shot hit Romay in the back, the loose ball was found by Lucas Viña and his strong shot was blocked by Pol.

And then Fuenlabrada found the second goal. Francis saved a strong shot by Bravo, in the resulting corner-kick, the defence didn’t clear the danger, the ball reached the left wing with Cristóbal releasing a cross that centre-back Juanma Marrero headed home. That goal killed Fabril’s spirit.

The first substitution at the local side was the entry of Uxío for Romay. It seemed it was too late, because Fabril were too desperate and their passes missed accuracy. The team was not creating scoring chances and therefore Fuenlabrada was having a pleasant end of game.

Substitute Juan Quero could have scored the third, but his shot from close range was saved by Fornos (72’). Blas Alonso had a good chance for Fabril, he collected the ball at the far post in a corner-kick, but his shot went out when he was alone inside the box (73’).

And when the game seemed defined, Fabril pulled a goal to bring some hope, Blas Alonso released a high cross from the right and Uxío was at the far post to head the ball home. The game radically changed with the goal, Fuenlabrada was locked at the back and, for the first time in the game, they lost the control.

The locals harassed their area and the tie could have arrived at minute 85, Lucas Viña assisted Uxio at the left wing, he entered the area and his low shot was slightly deflected by Pol, then it hit the far post and the ball went out. Munúa tried to refresh the attack and Pedro Alves replaced Ismael Díaz, who was having muscle problem, but there were no more chances to score.

Fabril never knew how to surpass the visiting pressure, and when they did it the lads missed too many passes. CF Fuenlabrada only needed to seize two corner-kicks to claim the victory, there was a reaction within the final ten minutes, but it wasn’t enough to rescue a point. Now the team is third at the standings after the victory of Rayo Majadahonda. The next game is the visit to UD San Sebastián Reyes (Sunday, 12h00 CET). 

Fabril: (4-2-3-1) Francis – Blas, Fornos, Raúl González, Lucas Viña – Gaizka Martínez, Edu Expósito – Óscar, Romay (Uxío 64’), Borja Galán - Ismael Díaz (Pedro Alves 87’).
Fuenlabrada: (4-4-2) Pol – Mikel Iribas, Fran García (Yaw 90+1’), Cata Díaz, Juanma – Luis Milla, Dani Fernández, Randy (Ismael Said 54’), Cristóbal – Bravo (Juan Quero 69’), Dioni.
Goals: 0-1: (49’) Randy, 0-2: (61’) Juanma, 1-2: (80’) Uxío
Referee: Alfonso Vicente Moral. He showed yellow card to Romay (31’) and Borja Galán (90+2’)
Venue: Abegondo (800)





Back to Competition news