History (2)


The team went up, down and up again until they reached their best achievement in the first 44 years of existence: the second place in the season 1949/1950. Back then Chaver Gámez was president of the club and Scopelli was coach. Deportivo lost the Spanish title to Atlético de Madrid after the Galicians only were able to take one point from Athletic de Bilbao in San Mamés on the final day of the season.

In those years the club was expanding to an "overseas" level as the team incorporated two Argentine players: Corcuera and Oswaldo. They would become part of an attacking line consisting of them and Franco, Moll and Tino; four South-American players and one "Coruña" and they became known as the Orquesta Canaro

This attacking force achieved that Deportivo started their "Golden Decade" and stayed in the highest division until 1957. For the club this was an exceptional period and legendary personnel, such as Argentinean coach Helenio Herrera, Pahiño and Spain's future European Footballer of the Year Luis Suárez, featured at the club in this lustrous decade.

1962-1973: UPS AND DOWNS
Ups and Downs. Hopes and disillusionments. After their "Golden Decade" the club came into an uncertain period, this despite the presence of some great players. From the world re-known forward line Orquesta Canaro to the quick fleeing stay of Luis Suárez, Amancio, Reija, Veloso, and Jaime Blanco. All of whom were products of Deportivo's rich youth system at that time.

But the poor financial health of the club had as its consequence that they couldn't keep these jewels and most of them left to economically more powerful clubs. It caused the notorious period of "ups and downs" for the Galician club as they experienced relegation in 1963, 1965, 1967, 1970 and 1973. It was a time of being too good for the lower leagues but not capable of surviving in the Primera División. It was a good time though compared to what came after it.

Deportivo encountered the most problematic years of its existence after the relegation in 1973. The club found itself trapped between the Segunda B División and even the Tercera División and the relegation from the highest level left a tremendous mark on the social and sporting reputation of the club. This was stressed even more due to the constant rise in debt of the already economically troubled club. Not even Luis Suárez, as coach of Deportivo during the season 1978/1979, could turn the tide.

The 1980s were a prolongation of the uncertainties and despair within La Coruña, and the everlasting obsession of returning to the Primera División grew each year. But after one disappointment after the other, the frustration grew as Deportivo saw themselves locked in the Segunda División.

They were even close to dropping one level when in May, 1988 a goal of Vicente in extra time in the last match of the season against Racing de Santander saved Deportivo from yet another step backwards and a possible end of the club, because of the economic difficulties. It had been a narrow escape, but Deportivo had just survived...

It was worth the pain and waiting as slowly the succession of dreadful events came to a halt. The administration of the club was completely restructured with the objective of healing it economically while finding a sense of sportive stability. In 1988, an historic assembly took place at the Colegio de Los Salesianos, where Augusto César Lendoiro was elected president of the club. Fans, players and the directing staff all came together to place Deportivo back to where it belonged: A club for all coruñeses.

But the situation of the club was not very encouraging back then. The debt had grown until 600 million pesetas (about 4 million Euros) while the social "implantation" of the club was very weak. Simply put: there was no proper future installed nor prepared for the sportive aspect of the club. The number one priority of the directors was to remove the debts and to find economical assurance. There was a popular theme to this called "walk or explode", which later would be referred to as a "miracle" once the club was able to support itself again.