Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum

Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum (http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com/forum/index.php)
-   World Football (http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Galician national team forum (http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1010)

Xoán 23-01-2004 20:44

Galician national team forum

* For those who can read Galician: there's a new project online, a forum encouraging the creation of an official Galician national team. Similar attempts were made in the past, but never in such a "unified" manner, I mean, bringing such different people together.
Lets hope it stays!

* Para aqueles q poidan ler galego: hai un novo proxecto na rede, un foro pro-selección galega. Xa saberedes q houbera intentos similares no pasado, mais nunca dunha maneira tan "unificadora", arrexuntando xentes de diversas tendencias.
Agardemos q non morra!

Check:

http://siareiros.webcindario.com

:)

Depor_Vin 25-01-2004 13:01

Sounds like a groovy idea. :cool:

Xoán 25-01-2004 14:12

It's an old but persistent idea...
You just have to keep things moving! ;)

alan partridge 25-01-2004 16:11

i would like to read that forum but i don't speak gallego. it would certainly be interesting if all the regions of spain had their own teams. i know i would be a rabid galicia fan....especially when they played madrid/castilla or whatever they might be.

also it has to be said the support of the spanish national team in spains is rubbish. even in madrid where you'd expect it to be stronger than other areas, they really don't care that much. regions would be far more interesting.

Ekholm 25-01-2004 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan partridge
i would like to read that forum but i don't speak gallego. it would certainly be interesting if all the regions of spain had their own teams. i know i would be a rabid galicia fan....especially when they played madrid/castilla or whatever they might be.

also it has to be said the support of the spanish national team in spains is rubbish. even in madrid where you'd expect it to be stronger than other areas, they really don't care that much. regions would be far more interesting.

Yeah!! I think it's quite weird that they don't care som much about the national team in Spain. In most countries people don't care which club the players play for when they're playing of the national team.

Maybe that's the reason why Spain always fails in the championships...

DeporForest 25-01-2004 17:23

I'd like to see this, seeing as Catalunya and the other regions have teams.

But how many major stars are Galician? I understand that Salgado is, and I've heard that Fran's birthplace is in the region too. But what would a Galaician first eleven look like?

Leon 25-01-2004 23:46

Fran, Michel Salgado, Nano and Canabal would be part of a mediocre Galician team compared to the ones of other regions I think...

Anton 26-01-2004 02:31

salgado is galician??? never heard that before!! are u sure??

i think its a good idea, but once again - another here who cant speek galician :(

Xoán 26-01-2004 03:04

It'd not matter if we had a bad team :) It's a question of being represented. It wouldn't be anything new: we had a national team before the Civil War/dictatoship, but we couldn't get it back afterwards. Actually, only the three nations which had a team before claimed for an official team again, that is to say: Catalonia, the Basque Country and Galicia. Other territories are happy with friendly matches, and never claimed for official recognition, as their players are content enough with the Spanish team (see Tristán and Andalucía).
Of course people support the Spanish team, but not with the same passion everywhere, that's for sure. Some players even refused to play for it in the past (see Galician Nacho), and some others said they played because they had no choice (see Catalan Guardiola). Wouldn't it be better if everyone could play in the national team they "feel" they should be playing? It'd make more sense! And everybody would benefit from it. No fuss ;)

Xoán 26-01-2004 03:05

Well, most of the Galician players play in 2nd division, but we could still manage to get a decent starting 11 from 1st division, with some good bench players, including "international stars" ;) My (bold) guess is that we should be around the level of Ireland, or maybe even Belgium.

* My starting-11 would be something like this (1-4-4-2):

- Dani Mallo (Elche/Depor) (keeper)

- M.Salgado (R.Madrid) (full back)
- Rubén (R.Madrid) (central)
- Noguerol (Salamanca) (central)
- Coira (Alavés) (full back)

- Fran (Depor) (winger)
- Trashorras (Barcelona) (attacking play-maker/'fake striker')
- Viqueira (Rec.Huelva) (defensive play-maker)
- Nano (Atlético Madrid) (winger)

- Nacho Novo (Dundee FC) (striker)
- Canabal (Málaga) (striker)

Bench (among many others):
GK: S.Aragoneses (Getafe); Bello Amigo (Rácing Ferrol).
DF: X.Fortes (AZ Alkmaar, HOL); X.Outeiro (Elche); Manu (Oviedo); Bouzón (Celta).
MF: Marcos Vales (Sevilla); J.Aspas (Celta), Carlos (Nacional Madeira, POR); L.Helguera (Fiorentina, ITA); Moisés (Barcelona); Varela (FC Aarau, SWI).
AT: D.Fernández (Celtic, SCO); Edgar (Celta); Losada (Valladolid).

Coach: Fernando Vázquez (Valladolid) (everybody agrees on this guy and he said he'd gladly accept the job :) )

We'd be a bit short of good defenders. Midfield is just fine. And we definitely would have some pretty decent strikers and goalkeepers.

alan partridge 26-01-2004 15:54

If there were to be a Galician team then it would be representing a Galician F.A. no? That's how I understood it anyway (e.g. England,Wales Scotland, N Ireland all have their own teams representing their different FAs).

What is San Marino? Is it a region of Italy? Principality? Anyone know? Anyway if they can have a team then why the hell not..

actually the more I think about it the more I want it!!

GALICIA!

Xoán 26-01-2004 16:18

Yep, and there is a Galician FA indeed.
According to FIFA regulations only sovereing countries can play international games, except: the four British FAs, and those territories within a State that have the permission of the main federation.
In other words, if Galicia wanted to play official games we should: a) become independent; OR b) get the permission of the Spanish FA (i.e. Spanish Parliament).
A proposal was recently presented to the Spanish Parliament and was rejected. We'll try it again next year! :) (there're other options, with it's all a legal mess).

S.Marino is an independent republic, so they're entitle to their national team if they want.

Xoán 29-03-2004 14:04

Well, the Catalans have done it... Not football, but they'll have an official national team in hockey and other "rolling" sports.
The Catalan federation has been accepted at the international level, so they now have the right to officially participate in the next world cup (if they qualify, of course).
It all will be ratified in November (this stuff always goes slow), but in the meantime they can start playing official international games.
Obviously, this is highly symbolic and opens the doors to not just other Catalan teams (including football), but also for us (Galicians), and Basques.
For me this is great news. I know that not everybdody will agree but... for me it's great news anyway and I had to share it. Good for the Catalans (hope we can go next) :)

If anyone here can read Catalan check this out (short and concise):

http://nosaltres.vilaweb.com/info/vi...t=100000831822

alan partridge 30-03-2004 02:36

blimey. thats quite a big deal.

the fact this has happened makes me feel it would be far more likely now. there's no way the basques and gallegos are going to just let the catalans have their team...and now they have one sport they will want more.

the only thing though is spain is such a massive name in world football. i bet fifa wouldn't be happy.

btw, what's a rolling sport?

Xoán 30-03-2004 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan partridge
btw, what's a rolling sport?

ops... sorry... I just invented the word... ;) (I don't know how to say it in English...)
"Skating" should be more like it... any "skates with wheels"... (that's why I said "rolling") ;) Mmm... I don't know if ice skating is also included into that...

I'm to lazy to check it in the dictionary... how do you call all those sports in English??? ;)