Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > Deportivo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Deportivo Discuss Real Club Deportivo de La Coruña here: its history, matches, Riazor etc.

Old 26-12-2008, 22:34   #16
ggeorg

Peña Member

ggeorg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by istike
However I have some negative comments as well:

one more negative comment: Football season doesn't start in January and ends in December

We know that year 2008 was fantastic, still year 2008 contains 2 distinct half-seasons which need another good half to make a great season! Let's hope this half is the first 5 months of the year 2009.
ggeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 11:53   #17
deporik
Chief of Police

Peña Member

deporik is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorg
one more negative comment: Football season doesn't start in January and ends in December

We know that year 2008 was fantastic, still year 2008 contains 2 distinct half-seasons which need another good half to make a great season! Let's hope this half is the first 5 months of the year 2009.

I'd settle for 1 good half a season, rather than have 2 good halves followed by 2 bad halves
Old 27-12-2008, 12:13   #18
Riazor
Seasoned Member
Peña Member

Riazor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deporik
I'd settle for 1 good half a season, rather than have 2 good halves followed by 2 bad halves

I'd rather have a tremendous season than a tremendous year. This way, we would have achieved a CL position, and we can still prove us in the next season, avoiding relegation is enough
Riazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 12:23   #19
deporik
Chief of Police

Peña Member

The last 4 words of your post are what I was thinking of when I wrote mine

Qualifying for CL would be awesome but if I'm honest, I'd rather have a good UEFA Cup run than an embarrassing CL run like we did in the last campaign we took part in.
Old 27-12-2008, 12:53   #20
Riazor
Seasoned Member
Peña Member

Riazor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The last 4 words of your post are what I was thinking of when I wrote mine

Qualifying for CL would be awesome but if I'm honest, I'd rather have a good UEFA Cup run than an embarrassing CL run like we did in the last campaign we took part in.

I agree, but without knowing what's ahead, would you prefer us ending 4th or 5th in la liga and thus qualifying for CL or uefa respectively?
Riazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 13:18   #21
ggeorg

Peña Member

ggeorg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

if we have two fit, 2 bad halves, with 2 good halves, then i'm with you of course

besides i agree 100% with Lendoiro's relative statement:
Quote:
Q: If you would have the opportunity to sign a contract to ensure the continuity at Primera during the next ten years but without winning a title, would you sign it?
A: Yes, being at Primera is the most important thing. So we must try to stay at Primera with the revenues of Primera.
ggeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 13:42   #22
deporik
Chief of Police

Peña Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riazor
I agree, but without knowing what's ahead, would you prefer us ending 4th or 5th in la liga and thus qualifying for CL or uefa respectively?

I'm probably in the minority here when I say this but I'd rather finish 5th or 6th than 4th (although that's judging on where we are now with our mentality, style of play and attitude and could change nearer the end of the season)

Of course, none of us know what's ahead but the whole discussion about taking a good half now for a bad half later is future tense and rather not get too excited too soon.

This Depor is generally a new Depor in Europe. I see us as a fresh young boxer winning some decent fights. I'd be happy to see us winning some more decent fights but throwing us into the ring with some of todays big boys and World Champions might be too soon for us and could harm us more than help us. The last CL campaign, albeit with a different squad apart from Sergio and MannyP, still scars me as we didn't manage to score a single goal and were pretty hopeless to be perfectly honest.

Edited to add: I totally agree with Lendoiro's statement too
Old 28-12-2008, 10:27   #23
Leon
Banned
Peña MemberBanned

Leon is an unknown quantity at this point

If we're going to discuss Depor in the next 10 years, the evolution thread seems more appropriate to me....

The statistics in the news section already indicate how marvellous the year 2008 has been. Those numbers would even be better if we take off the first weeks when we lost against Atleti, Villarreal and Almeria. So, the past 11 months have been almost incredible.

We can't live in the past and our financial limits are clear. Especially after the cruel year 2007 I have nothing more than happieness about 2008.

Last edited by Leon : 28-12-2008 at 22:08.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 11:15   #24
deporik
Chief of Police

Peña Member

Hey!! If we're not allowed to talk about 2009, you're not allowed to talk about 2007 either
Old 28-12-2008, 13:52   #25
francisco
Beginner

francisco is on a distinguished road

The Team has perform well. But, for me that is not enough. I want the team to finish strong and more importantly improve, improve and improve, for the upcoming year. With limited resources the team has out performed themselves, but they, the team, should not be satisfy. They have to remain hungrier than the counterparts, madrid and barca to remain on top.

An institution like Depor. has to always look for players that have improvement and what to succeed and leave it all on the field. Stay away from players like Rubhino, they are their biggest fans and a plaque to the team.

Biggest test are upcoming, we will see how they perform.
francisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 18:01   #26
benea

benea is on a distinguished road

I'm happy with our performance so far and if we continue to play like this and show a little bit more confidence and concentration, than we can reach CL place at the end. The best end of this first half of the season will be a CL qualification, 3rd place in CL groups and win the UEFA trophy
Old 29-12-2008, 19:20   #27
JerseyDepor
Almost Regular

JerseyDepor is on a distinguished road

I would like to get a CL spot, if not because we make a lott more money
JerseyDepor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 16:43   #28
Rack
Veteran
Peña Member

Rack is on a distinguished road

Coming in late on this one. My favourite moment of 2008 was when we knew we couldn't be relegated. That sort of run will be remembered in years to come as a turning point if we can build upon it. What we have is a more confident outfit, not afraid of expressing them a little more on the field of play (although we still have a bit to go to playing the kind of football we'd all like to see).

My point is that you can be there or there abouts challenging for titles year in year out, but the character of a club only shows iteself when faced with the bleakest situations - like we were in at Christmas 2007.

Another highlight was seeing my Depor friends Xian and Mosquera in my home town of Portlaoise in Ireland. Those guys are class!!
Rack is offline   Reply With Quote