Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > World Football
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

World Football For other football that's not related to Depor. For example: the Primera División, Segunda División A, Segunda División B, the Champions League, EURO 2008, the World Cup 2010, Italy, England, Germany, Turkey etc.

Old 16-04-2006, 18:06   #1
deporik
Chief of Police

Peña Member

deporik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default World Cup - Germany 2006

I know it's still about 7-8 weeks before the tournament actually begins but there's plenty to talk about.

The best groups for me look like Groups C, E and F.

I know a lot of people think Group C is the group of death but although I think the games could be tight, I would be very surprised if either the Ivory Coast or Serbia&Montenegro got through this group.

The Ivory Coast aren't a bad team at all and have some great individuals but with all due respect to our African friends in the forum, doing well at the African Nations and getting past the likes of Argentina and Holland are completely different challenges.

Serbia are capable of a surprise and are more of a dark horse for me but I think the other 2 will just have that bit extra to get themselves through.

Group E will probably see Italy and Czech Republic qualifying but USA and Ghana could make it difficult. Ghana have the same problem as Ivory Coast and they're probably not even as good as I.C, so it will be hard for them also. The USA are still emerging but their game will have had to come on in leaps and bounds to see them eliminate one of the 2 fancied European Nations. The Italians havn't really impressed too much but they have an annoying habit of always coming good for tournaments.
The Czech Republic are IMO the strongest team in this group but they are capable of choking.

Group F will probably be a cakewalk for Brazil but the battle for 2nd is up for grabs. Croatia always seem to be a bit of hit or miss and you just don't know which team will turn up. Australia are another country like the USA who are emerging but it's hard to tell how they will cope with playing in the WC. They could be a breath of fresh air if they stay focused and don't get too carried away with it all but their distinct lack of opposition in the past could be a handicap that they can't get over. After all, victories against England and an uninspiring Uruguay in the past were great at the time but they won't count for much in Germany. The last team in the group is Japan and although they are capable of doing OK, you always get the feeling that they tend to respect their opponents too much. You can see them giving Croatia and Australia decent games but totally choking against Brazil in their final group game. The only positive note about that is that Brazil might already be through by the time they meet and therefore might rest a few players.
Old 16-04-2006, 18:41   #2
deporiginal
Legend
Peña Member

deporiginal is an unknown quantity at this point

Serbia-Montenegro is one of the best teams of Europe. I wouldn't be surprised if they got through in group C. Even though I'd be very jealous at penguin if they do Ivory Coast, well, that really would surprise me though Anything to see Holland out of it of course
deporiginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2006, 19:45   #3
Penguin66
Veteran

Penguin66 is off the scale
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by deporiginal
Serbia-Montenegro is one of the best teams of Europe. I wouldn't be surprised if they got through in group C.
Thank you in the name of our team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deporiginal
Even though I'd be very jealous at penguin if they do

LOL
Old 16-04-2006, 20:06   #4
Benn
Veteran

Peña Member

Benn is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Benn

ALL teams in this WC got a chance to qualify. Just look at the tournament in 2002. France didn't make it through the group, but what was even worse, they didn't score a goal at all!

Underdogs like Ghana, USA, Australia, Ivory Coast and even Trinidad&Tobago, got a chance this year. Senegal suprised everyone in the 2002 WC, by beating France 1-0 in the first match.

I can't wait for this to start!
Old 18-04-2006, 10:34   #5
Crocodile_Dundee
Veteran

Peña Member

Crocodile_Dundee is an unknown quantity at this point

As I have predicted before Luca Toni will be the main man but I'm still unsure if Italy have what it takes to win the trophy. Brazil are clear favourites but their defence looks pretty crap to me with Cafu being injured for a good chunk of this season, R.Carlos just being plain old rubbish, R.Junior........the less said the better and Lucio who is class but he can't hold them together on his own. Argentina will be there or there abouts with Tevez, Mascherano (if fit) and Riquelme leading the way. England have the players but I have no doubts that they will bottle it and I'm still unsure if Gerrard and Lampard can work together effectively in the middle of the park. France are disorganised and struggling for ideas, Spain don't have the stomach for a battle, Portugal had an easy qualifying group so its hard to tell how good they are and the new look Holland lack experience on the big stage. Anyone of these teams could come away with the trophy as could outsiders Czech Republic and maybe even someone like the USA ......oh and theres Germany and you can never, never, never write them of no matter how poor a side they look.
Crocodile_Dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2006, 14:49   #6
Crocodile_Dundee
Veteran

Peña Member

England's hopes look to have suffered a serious blow. With not long remaining in Man U's game with Chelsea, Rooney went down after a fair challenge from Carvalho and looked in serious pain. The fact that he plays through some games with niggling injuries and he doesn't dive suggest that the injury could be long term.........
Old 29-04-2006, 16:31   #7
hari

Peña Member

hari is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to hari

carvalho??? i thought it was paulo ferreira.... and wht abt john terry?? he was limping as well...
hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2006, 19:00   #8
Bebeto 27
Peña Member

Bebeto 27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Bebeto 27 Send a message via Yahoo to Bebeto 27

The Netherlands are gonna win. Well, I hope so. But I would also like to Ukrania, serbia, Cezc or england to win. But Brasil seams all mighty.
Bebeto 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2006, 19:55   #9
Crocodile_Dundee
Veteran

Peña Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfavdepo
carvalho??? i thought it was paulo ferreira.... and wht abt john terry?? he was limping as well...
Your correct it was P.Ferreira. I don't think the Terry injury is serious as he received the knock early on but he still managed to play for the whole game.
Old 29-04-2006, 23:54   #10
deporik
Chief of Police

Peña Member

deporik is an unknown quantity at this point

It's been confirmed on BBC Ceefax that Rooney has broken his foot and will be out for approx 6 weeks. As the World Cup starts in less than 6 weeks, you'd think he was therefore ruled out but they're only saying he's a doubt.

Either their maths are crap or they are hinting that he could be included in the squad for the latter games if England get that far. If that's the case though, you have to wonder about his match fitness and it seems a big risk.

England's chances of winning the World Cup went from slim to non-existant today IMO.
Old 30-04-2006, 00:43   #11
rajacasa
Veteran
Peña Member

rajacasa is off the scale

very bad news
what will crouch do???
rajacasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2006, 20:31   #12
Diligent
Veteran

Peña Member

Diligent is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by deporik
It's been confirmed on BBC Ceefax that Rooney has broken his foot and will be out for approx 6 weeks. As the World Cup starts in less than 6 weeks, you'd think he was therefore ruled out but they're only saying he's a doubt.

Either their maths are crap or they are hinting that he could be included in the squad for the latter games if England get that far. If that's the case though, you have to wonder about his match fitness and it seems a big risk.

England's chances of winning the World Cup went from slim to non-existant today IMO.

My thoughts with England are that they were going to be Quarter Finalist at best. Their 1st 11 is strong on paper, but once you stratch the surface their is no quality outside that. England would have to play that starting eleven nearly every game without injuries and suspensions.

You only have to look at Euro 2004, when Rooney was injured against Portugal. Darius Vassell came on and the threat up front just disappeared. With Rooney, Owen and Ashley Cole all trying to over come injuries. It will be very brave of Erikkson to includes these guys in his squad. The latter two have played no football this year (Owen just a few minutes yesterday before he hobbled off at the end). If Rooney's foot will take 6 weeks to heal I feel it would be an enormous gamble to use his squad number in Germany IMO.

Teams to watch this summer would be the usual suspects, Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Netherlands and Mexico as dark horses.

Last edited by Diligent : 02-05-2006 at 19:42.
Diligent is offline   Reply With Quote