Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > Deportivo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Deportivo Discuss Real Club Deportivo de La Coruña here: its history, matches, Riazor etc.

Old 25-09-2009, 16:31   #1
Carril
Veteran
Peña Member

Carril is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2009/2010 | General evolution

Current Squad:

GK
* 13. Manu
* 1. Aranzubia

DEF
* 12. Brayan Angulo
* 4. Adrián López
* 15. Laure
* 3. Filipe Luis
* 2. Manuel Pablo
* 7. Lopo
* 19. Colotto
* 19. Colotto
* 5. Zé Castro

MID
* 23. Iván Pérez
* 6. Juca
* 18. Guardado
* 14. Pablo Álvarez
* 23. Antonio Tomás
* 21. Valerón
* 22. Juan Rodríguez
* 8. Sergio

FWD
* 20. Lassad
* 10. Adrián
* 11. Riki
* 9. Bodipo
* 24. Mista

I honestly can't remember the last time I was so excited with the potential of our squad. Over the past few years, we've been getting better and better. It's almost as if the Caparros/Baby Depor era was a first draft, and we've been polishing it and improving it since. Thankfully this season we've been able to permanently offload alot of excess baggage IMO: Fabricio, Barragan, Cristian, Rodri, Taborda, Munua, Omar Bravo.....

As well as players who helped the team but for better or worse, have gone their own way: Verdu, Lafita, De Guzman, Pablo Amo. This is a change from the loans we are accustomed to, but definitely for the better. We did a major cleanup we've been needing for a while now. But with these exits, came the arrivals of Juca and Angulo. I haven't been able to see Angulo play, but it's a relief to have someone who can cover for Filipe. Juca has been impressing me more and more as the season moves foward, a strong defensive mid with a fantastic freekick, which will be of great help.

Back to my original point, I have a great feeling about this team and saw our potential the first game against Madrid, where we should have left with a least a point. We then won against Malaga, and had a disappointing loss against Espanyol. We then rebounded and beat Xerex. I've read we didn't play well but we netted 3 goals and came home with the 3 points. It's been an up-and-down start, but if we find consistency, I feel we can definitely clinch a European position this season.

What I'm most excited about so far:
-We finally have a freekick taker.
-Valeron is back in form and in the best shape he's been since the injury.
-We are scoring!
-We can finally see the Adrian-Lassad duo.
-Laure is really stepping up and deserving the starting position.

What I'm most concerned with:
-We are allowing more goals than usual.
-Inconsistency of our strikers (again).
-Inconsistency of team play (as seen against Espanyol)
-The hole Lafita has left in the right.

I think the 0-3 win is a huge confidence boost to the team going into the game this Sunday, how do you expect the team to do?

Last edited by ggeorg : 25-09-2009 at 16:59.
Carril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 19:54   #2
The DK Blanquiazul
Peña Member

The DK Blanquiazul is on a distinguished road

I'm concerned about one thing, and one thing only - the lack of a partner in midfield next to Juca. I'm simply too tired and busy to write something remotely clever right now, so I'll quote what I wrote the other day.

Quote:
But, regarding the team right now, it's evident that it has been a mixed bag in the games we've played. The game against Xerez yesterday did not give us a good performance, but then the points we missed against Real Madrid equals that IMO. At this point last year we had a point less with, maybe a bit tougher opponents, but same mixed impression.
What matters now is that we solve the one problem that we have at the team - our midfielder who can be the link between defense and attack. Juca seems a brilliant signing, apart from the running and destroying that we also had with De Guzman, I think he adds some very important passion and spirit into the team, against Espanyol he was the one who guided the team up again, against Xerez he was the one doing the effort when we got down and even became a strong attacking factor - two assists and a goal is superb. But, the one who will play next to him, remains a question IMO. Juan Rodriguez is a fighter, but is not capable of doing the passing and delivering creativity. Sergio looks very slow, while Tomas hasn't impressed particularly yet, there was a small period of fine performances, but as far as I remember, it was ruined by injury. My hope continues to be Juan Dominguez, looked very nice in pre-season and if he can do the running as well, he'd fit in well. But, of course we have the option of Valerón, in which we then play with one striker and two defensive players behind him. Problem is, as discussed before, that it requires an awful lot of the players around him, and we become too reliable on him, and if he has an off-day, then we're in trouble. Opponents will of course influence the choice of tactic, but I see a combo of two of Adrián/Lassad/Mista/Riki as the way forward and either way the midfield problem remains.
But, that is the only problem in the squad IMO, the defense can have it's worries, but in terms of quality only, it's definitely sufficient. Guardado and Alvarez have yet to shine, but Laure and Filipe behind them looks very promising. We have four goals from our three strikers in the first four games, and I don't see that either as a worrying point.
Now, the next couple of games will be quite important, in terms of the boost that it could potentially give the team. We're meeting a poor Villarreal-team at home and we could create a 7-point gap to them already. Performance and support needs to be like the final minutes against Espanyol, but if we get to that level we are also a very hard team to beat.
Then there's Tenerife away, which is more than doable and while I don't expect anything of the Sevilla-game, it is at the Riazor. The following games are then Valladolid(A), Gijon(H), Getafe(A), Atletico(H) and Racing(A).
All in all, I believe we could with a good run get around 16 of 24 in these games, which could bring us up to challenging Europe, and then hopefully bring us that confidence and good run that we can hopefully continue afterwards to fullfill the potential of the squad. I could probably also see us take 7 of 24, but we needn't to go down that road once again, not sure we'll get up again afterwards. All in all, it's just very important that this team gets the confidence and gets on a good run, cause our level can vary so much, once we get these good performances in a row and maintain the form, this team can aspire to good things.

The DK Blanquiazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 16:44   #3
deporiginal
Legend
Peña Member

deporiginal is an unknown quantity at this point

I only saw the game against Malaga and Espanyol, and I can't say I was quite convinced at all. We just seem to be aimlessly playing the ball around on their half, then we lose it, giving them plenty of space to counter. I'm very happy we already gained 6 points, enough to keep us out of trouble for now. It's early in the season, I'm sure it'll get better, so I hope we can continue in this way until then.
deporiginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 15:42   #4
Leon
Banned
Peña MemberBanned

Leon is an unknown quantity at this point

Over the years I've become more and more realistic about a team's progress in football. In theory, it's not possible that most teams in a league display good football all season long as you just can't have two teams playing good in one match. That's not to say it can't be a good match.

Tell me which Spanish team last year played good football (all season long) or during previous seasons. Sure, Barcelona have.

My point is that we always will be demanding good football AND wins of Deportivo, but in reality we can't just always play good football and that's normal. We're always very critical, and that's fine. We also were during 1999-2004.

In our five matches, I think we haven't showed brilliance. But did our opponents do? Real Madrid only showed glimpses of their enormous class. At the start of the season I had Málaga and Espanyol as Europa League contenders, but they certainly weren't better than us. I didn't see the match against Villarreal, but in any case they are a big team. Against Xerez we played reasonably well at a bad pitch. That Xerex team took a point at Espanyol four days later. So, my feeling is that we play reasonably well and we can do somewhat better.

Points is another aspect. Three home matches, two away matches. Real Madrid and Villarreal are simply big teams, Málaga were fighting for Europe last season and I still think Espanyol will be top 8 material this season. Only Xerez are poor. We didn't have the most difficult schedule, but certainly not the easiest either. But there we are: 5th in Spain at 1 point of Champions League football and already 6 points away from relegation.

Our defence keeps being as solid as last year. We only leaked goals in 2 of the 5 matches. Aranzubia has fine form again. Manuel Pablo isn't at his finest moment, but Laure has improved. Having Lopo, Colotto and Zé Castro is a luxury. Filipe even has become better and certainly is Barcelona-worth material. We have backups with Adrian Lopez and Angulo.

In midfield, Juca is a huge surprise. Valeron is contributing his best in years. Guardado and JR will never let us down. Sergio is as last year. But I'm not too excited about Pablo Alvarez. Tomas and Perez are nice backups. We certainly could use a signing for the wings.

We simply have a luxury position upfront. Riki and Mista are established players. Lassad and Adrian already scored their first goal. And there's still Bodipo.

Right now, and that's not simply based on our league position or the one of Villarreal, Valencia and Atletico, I think we have a better chance than last year to finish 6th. There's too much quality and professionalism in this team to get into relegation troubles. And now doubt we're going to get points out of our latest games: Tenerife, Sevilla, Valladolid, Sporting, Getafe.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 17:24   #5
Carril
Veteran
Peña Member

Carril is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Leon that we are perhaps a bit too demanding, but only because I feel the team can do so much better. In yesterday's match against Villarreal I have to say were fortunate to leave with the 3 points. Aranzubia was stellar again and saved the win. What we need to do is consolidate a starting 11 we can count on. Lotina tried this yesterday beginning with the same 11 we had against Xerez, but players like Adrian and Lassad are not physically ready to start twice within a week.
Especially Lassad, he needs more time before he can start again IMO. He was very slow and inactive, missed a clear chance after the brilliance of our left wing. Down the road, we all want these 2 players to be the head of our attack, but I don't believe they're ready yet. Loti should start with Valeron and Riki with Adrian and Lassad coming off the bench. Let them gain fitness little by little, and also get used to team play.
Carril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 17:29   #6
DepHun
Legend
Peña Member

DepHun is on a distinguished road

Leon!
In quantity (of CB and forwards) we are in luxury, but in quality, not really.
Old 30-09-2009, 18:16   #7
ggeorg

Peña Member

ggeorg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepHun
Leon!
In quantity (of CB and forwards) we are in luxury, but in quality, not really.

Quote:
30/Sept/2009: 14h56: World Cup: Vicente Del Bosque told to Canal Plus that he is following the evolution of Aranzubia and Lopo, "He is one of the central defenders that I could pick in case we have a casualty. He's an expert and is completing a good season at Depor." The coach said about Lopo.

ggeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 18:34   #8
istike
Seasoned Member

istike is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorg
O.K., Ggoerg, but honestly: do you think Lopo is on a national team - level? I don't think so. He has strenght, but that is all. His play is usually riddled with mistakes...
Old 30-09-2009, 19:00   #9
Fabian
Peña Member

Fabian is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd say yes, yes he is. He has great positioning, rarely if ever looses a straight duel - in the air as well as on the ground. He is our best CB and the pinpoint of our defense, the mistakes that he makes - and they are not nearly as common as some people makes them out to be - is very easy to swallow.
Is he a world class defender? No. Could he compete with the likes of Marchena, Puyol and Juanito? A million times YES!
Old 30-09-2009, 20:48   #10
ggeorg

Peña Member

ggeorg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian
I'd say yes, yes he is. He has great positioning, rarely if ever looses a straight duel - in the air as well as on the ground. He is our best CB and the pinpoint of our defense, the mistakes that he makes - and they are not nearly as common as some people makes them out to be - is very easy to swallow.
Is he a world class defender? No. Could he compete with the likes of Marchena, Puyol and Juanito? A million times YES!

Thanx

My feelings as well. In general i think we're ok on the back, Ze Castro and Lopo are just fine
ggeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 21:03   #11
deporik
Chief of Police

Peña Member

deporik is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorg
Thanx

My feelings as well. In general i think we're ok on the back, Ze Castro and Lopo are just fine

And Colotto?

Lopo is a fairly decent centre back but nothing special. In terms of getting a game internationally though, why not?? Spain are blessed in terms of talent in most positions but centre-back isn't one of them, and although I think Puyol is a better player; Lopo is imo at least as good as the others mentioned by Fabian.

Aranzubia has been class for us but can't see him ever getting a game unless there are injuries to Cassillas and Reina at the same time.
Old 30-09-2009, 22:21   #12
The DK Blanquiazul
Peña Member

Yeah, serious luxury problem for Del Bosque. Casillas, Reina, Diego Lopez, Victor Valdes, Aranzubia and Sergio Asenjo. Look who England has got.

Old 30-09-2009, 22:30   #13
Fabian
Peña Member

Fabian is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DK Blanquiazul
Yeah, serious luxury problem for Del Bosque. Casillas, Reina, Diego Lopez, Victor Valdes, Aranzubia and Sergio Asenjo. Look who England has got.

Not to mention Palop.
Old 30-09-2009, 22:36   #14
The DK Blanquiazul
Peña Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian
Not to mention Palop.
Sorry, it's getting late and I have slept 6 hours every night for a couple of days in a row.

Anyway, I think Del Bosque's comments are good in terms of acknowledgments for Lopo and especially Aranzubia. That he is mentioned among that big list of really good goalkeepers is fantastic. Next we just need Adrián and Juan Dominguez getting to that point.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:40   #15
istike
Seasoned Member

istike is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by deporik
And Colotto?

Lopo is a fairly decent centre back but nothing special. In terms of getting a game internationally though, why not?? Spain are blessed in terms of talent in most positions but centre-back isn't one of them, and although I think Puyol is a better player; Lopo is imo at least as good as the others mentioned by Fabian.

Aranzubia has been class for us but can't see him ever getting a game unless there are injuries to Cassillas and Reina at the same time.
I couldn't agree more! I admit, that he is at least on Marchena's level, but don't compare him with Puyol.

About Aranzubia: I think, he can perform better, than Reina - at least for me. The only advantage for Reina is that he is playing for Liverpool...