Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > World Football
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

World Football For other football that's not related to Depor. For example: the Primera División, Segunda División A, Segunda División B, the Champions League, EURO 2008, the World Cup 2010, Italy, England, Germany, Turkey etc.

Old 28-06-2008, 20:26   #1
Michał
Peña Member

Michał is on a distinguished road
Default European Championship for 24 teams?

Representatives of all 53 countries organized in UEFA agreed to add another 8 teams to European Championship last Saturday in Vienna. Platini said it is great idea and everything seems to be decided - first EC with 24 teams will (probably) take place in 2016. Platini said that teams like England, Denmark, Scotland, Ireland, Belgium, Serbia, Ukraine or Bulgaria aren't too weak to participate in it.

As for me it is one of the most idiotic idea I've ever heard. There are only 53 countries in Europe and many of them are just weak. Considering that following teams: San Marino, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, Malta, Andorra, Faroe Islands, Azerbaijan, Liechtenstein, Armenia, Moldova, Cyprus, Macedonia, Georgia, Albania, Estonia, Belarus (16) don't have (as for me) any chances then we have only 37 countries left and 24 places. We could also add to this list countries like Iceland or Lithuania. It is completely stupid idea, because it is making EC less interesting, not even mentioning eliminations. Imagine if there would be 8 eliminations groups - from each group would advance 3 teams! (+ 1/2 hosts) 8 groups means 6/7 teams per group = almost half of the teams advance. No idea which idiot has had this brainwave...

What do you think about it?
Michał is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 20:59   #2
Norde

Norde is on a distinguished road

It's always Platini after all .. I listened that news today and i can say we share a same opinion.
When Platini was elected as president of the UEFA, he beat his rival for the presidency (the former president Johansson) for one basic reason: he had the alliance of many -so called- weak (from a football aspect) countries such as Azerbaijan, Armenia, Estonia etc you mentioned.
Ofcourse they voted for him in order to gain later and it's the time to make profit. Platini's general strategy is to develop football by taking radical decisions. There were (and are ) rumors for CL (like that every country's FA Cup winner could have the right to participate in CL Quals...) and so on.
If this decision for the 24 teams is definite... what can i say.. I can only say that before the 16-teams EURO Cup there were 24-teams Euros.. You don't take radical decisions by copying the past IMO
Old 28-06-2008, 21:33   #3
Feliuk
Administrator

Peña Member

Feliuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Feliuk

So this year we would have got the following teams if it was 24
Serbia
Scotland
Norway
Ireland
England
N.ireland
Bulgaria
+ 1 more

Would those teams enhance the tournament??
This tournament has had some good games with generally well matched teams,the more teams the more likelyhood that you will get rubbish games and teams that really don't deserve to be in the finals!!

You sure it was Platini and not the English FA that came up with the idea

Feliuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 00:10   #4
deporiginal
Legend
Peña Member

deporiginal is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm pro for this, as it's the only chance for Belgium to make it to the EC one more time

Unless we organise it of course, which is why we're so eager to host the WC 2018

edit: Of course, when there are more teams, there will be more bad games. But, there will also be more good games. There are games with great teams on paper that suck too you know. France - Romania for example.

Last edited by deporiginal : 29-06-2008 at 10:18.
deporiginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 03:55   #5
hari

Peña Member

hari is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to hari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feliuk
So this year we would have got the following teams if it was 24
Serbia
Scotland
Norway
Ireland
England
N.ireland
Bulgaria
+ 1 more
u forgot Denmark!!
hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 11:28   #6
Riazor
Seasoned Member
Peña Member

Riazor is on a distinguished road

I share deporiginal's opinion, as its the only chance that Belgium may make it to the EC anytime soon. And even then its still tricky

But, if you look at the list of the teams that wouldve participated in EC2008 in case it was 24 teams, im not agaionst the idea, its not like these teams are poor...
Riazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 11:31   #7
rajacasa
Veteran
Peña Member

rajacasa is off the scale

I'm not against too.It's too short with 16 teams
rajacasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 11:40   #8
Benn
Veteran

Peña Member

Benn is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari
u forgot Denmark!!

I believe the team listed was the teams that finished just below the EC spots in their groups. Denmark didn't, unfortunatly. But I agree, Denmark is still a good team who can beat ANY team on their day. However, a big change in players will probably take place during the coming years.

As for the subject... I'm kinda split. 24 teams would make it less exclusive, but on the other hand, I'm sure it would be great for European football in general.

I don't care tbh
Old 29-06-2008, 12:38   #9
Michał
Peña Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riazor
I share deporiginal's opinion, as its the only chance that Belgium may make it to the EC anytime soon. And even then its still tricky

But, if you look at the list of the teams that wouldve participated in EC2008 in case it was 24 teams, im not agaionst the idea, its not like these teams are poor...
They are. Same for Belgium. Even Poland, Austria or Greece were too poor but still managed to get there, letting more teams play in EURO is just stupid...
Old 29-06-2008, 12:48   #10
Benn
Veteran

Peña Member

Benn is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michał
They are. Same for Belgium. Even Poland, Austria or Greece were too poor but still managed to get there, letting more teams play in EURO is just stupid...

Austria didn't do anything. They were hosts and automatically qualified.
Old 29-06-2008, 13:41   #11
deporiginal
Legend
Peña Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michał
Yeah, but for example France also managed to get there, being a big football nation, but they were extremely poor too. I doubt a country like Denmark would've done worse than France this year.

The way I see it, I don't see any negatives tbh. You've got more games to watch, so there's bound to be a couple more interesting games to see. And, following the same logic, there's bound to be a bit more boring games to see. But if it's boring, then just don't watch. The more smaller teams, the more surprises we'll see. And a lot of fans have a thing for the underdogs.
Old 29-06-2008, 13:58   #12
Michał
Peña Member

I still think it's a stupid idea. More games don't always mean more fun and here I expect it would be less fun. Another thing is that we can't say that Ireland, Serbia etc. are good enough - if they didn't get there they aren't - that's simple isn't it? Benn, I know that Austria is the host, lol, just wanted to say that they were poor. There were many more poor teams like Sweden or France, but come on - someone must be poor if other one is good. I don't want more teams - every time when WC or EC take place I watch every game and I won't stop, but I know watching match like Ireland vs. Norway or Bulgaria vs. Austria could be just boring. During this tournament we have seen some very poor matches of weak teams too: Poland vs. Austria; Sweden vs. Greece but if we allow more countries to get there we'll see more like this ones.
Old 29-06-2008, 14:38   #13
deporiginal
Legend
Peña Member

I personally thought that Austria - Poland was a very entertaining match

Also, I even enjoyed watching Greece - Sweden, cause it was just funny to see how Greece was keeping the ball at the back lol.

Games like Bulgaria - Norway could be highly entertaining. Two little clubs, and probably the game in their group they will have to win if they want to stand a chance. I mean come on, what if Russia would've missed this tournament (and that was very close to happen of course). We would've missed some pretty nice football.

Ok, the change isn't necessary at all, but I'd enjoy it. And it's not just because I want Belgium to make the tournament or something. It's just that teams like England, Serbia, Scotland, even Finland,... can be very nice to watch. Just look at how bad some "big" clubs were this tournament. I must say that I don't see this as a decrease in quality at all.
Old 30-06-2008, 05:05   #14
Donato
Veteran
Peña Member

Donato is an unknown quantity at this point

Gets my vote.

And just cos a country may be smaller, have less GDP or any other difference why shouldn't they be there-IF THEY HAVE EARNT THE RIGHT. Would've loved to see the Scots there.

Oh and some of the bigger teams played like sh!te and shouldn't have been there ie France and Italy-not forgetting that Romania took points off the Dutch in qualifying as did the Poles against the Portuguese.

Plus more fans, more qualifying interest-more important qualifying games.
Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 10:22   #15
deporik
Chief of Police

Peña Member

deporik is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll be watching it whatever happens so I guess I don't care too much if it's 16 or 24 games.

I know I'm a bit cynical but for me, this decision has been made for 2 reasons; money and power.

It was bound to get all the votes from those who traditionally struggle to qualify, and Platini could have offered that as the carrot to all those with not much confidence. More teams also means more fans, more interest, more advertising and most importantly for those concerned, more MONEY.

The downside to 24 teams, is that I don't think it will do anything in regards of improving the tournament. The best 2 teams would have qualified anyway and all it means is that UEFA are setting the standards much lower to qualify.

It makes the qualifiers less important in my opinion, as those countries traditionally quite strong but not brilliant at qualifying, can afford the odd slip up and still get through. The pressure on each game decreases for me.

Part of the excitement of the qualifiers for me, is seeing one of the so called "big teams" (we're talking in footballing terms) fail to make it. That's still going to be possible of course but more unlikely than usual.