Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > World Football
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

World Football For other football that's not related to Depor. For example: the Primera División, Segunda División A, Segunda División B, the Champions League, EURO 2008, the World Cup 2010, Italy, England, Germany, Turkey etc.

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 11:22   #886
deporik
Chief of Police

Peña Member

deporik is an unknown quantity at this point

I can understand the neutrals wanting to see entertaining free flowing football but some of the criticism aimed at Holland and Spain seems to be pretty naieve and hypocritical.

If you find a system that works, wins you games and trophies and is within the rules, then you'd be a complete asshole as a manager to say "nah, who cares about trophies, let's entertain the neutrals and win a few more fans for ourselves."

How many of those moaning about the Dutch and Spanish would prefer to see Depor lose a Champions league final 4-3 rather than win it 1-0?

It makes me laugh to see Spain labelled as "anti-football". So the team that keeps the ball under it's control, has the most posession and keeps the ball in play most of the time rather than hoofing long balls that go off for goalkicks and throws, they are deemed as anti-football and the team that can't get hold of the ball, sits back and tries to hit Spain on the counter whenever they're afforded the chance of posession, they're suddenly the good guys and the "footballing" side. Hello??? I think that ash cloud was dropping LSD in some areas.

The Spain v Germany game was a great example of why great football doesn't always win you games. No doubt for me whatsover that Germany's football was much better than Spain's leading up to this game, and when you give them time and space, they can cut you to ribbons.
But how the hell do you score goals without a ball???

Germany still looked dangerous with their quick attacks, but they looked a shadow of their former selves. They didn't just beat Australia, England and Argentina; they totally dominated them. Last night, they weren't given the opportunity to settle and looked pretty ordinary. In a World Cup Semi-Final, the result is all important. Spain didn't handball on the line in the last minute (Suarez), they didn't try and break anyones legs (Van Bommel), they didn't cheat by pretending to get hit in the head when there was a very feint contact around the chest area (Keita).
But Spain are considered anti-football by some, and criticised for their style by many more.

Against Germany, Spain only just shaded posession in the end but they had the majority and they had more than double the shots on goal (on and off target). They also committed less fouls and more importantly, scored more goals.

In an attacking sense, here are the official stats:
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statist...attacking.html

For me, Spain aren't incisive enough and alot of their attacks end in nothing, as they don't get enough men in the box and constantly look to play the perfect pass but for anyone saying Spain aren't an attacking side; the stats would suggest otherwise.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:33   #887
DepHun
Legend
Peña Member

DepHun is on a distinguished road

celebration time, Hari. after so many time we totally agree in your sentence: "having a player like Van Bommel/Robinho/Dani Alves in your team is enuf to hate the team.."
Although I still respect Robben, and Sneijder. I wait for some arrogant outrage from RVdV and Persie in the final as well.

To Leon!
It is nice to read your comment, Maestro, but your stats are ...
not correct.

Of course it is not correct that only European teams have won the WC in Europe. What about Pele and his Brazil team winning in Sweden in 1958? I know that is in the north, but still it is Europe

France won the World and European Championship within 2 years (98-2000) although the row was different....

To Rik!
Yes, you are right, but for the neutrals it is better to see Depor losing 4-3 a CL final, than to win it by 1-0 with a header after a corner. Once again, not for us, but for the neutrals. As most of the people are neutrals for the end of the WC, except the 45 million Spaniard and the 15 million Dutch, all the other 2bn interested in football might wait for something more spectacular.
I like the Dutch since Van Basten, the Bergkamp, Kluivert, Overmars trio was one of my favourite from the nineties, and I can see the potential of wonderful attacking football in the Robben, Sneijder, VdV, Persie/Huntelaar (what came out right before the WC, with a 6-1 win against Hun). I know Hun is awful, but Dutch played totally other way against poor Slovakia for example.
Spain also scored 6 goals against Poland just before the WC. Have you seen that match? It was a wonder, how Spain played. It was like a teaching film. And they are no-where near to that level, and it is not just because the quality of the opponent. Honduras is not that much better than Poland.
Maybe this is the pressure, or the coach, or the ball, I don't know. But something bad there it is.
To save attacking football, we need a 6-6 final

Maybe we could have a vote, who enjoyed the WC and who not... or who lost at least a little of his enthusiasm in world cup football with this WC 2010

Last edited by DepHun : 08-07-2010 at 11:54.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:52   #888
Rack
Veteran
Peña Member

Rack is on a distinguished road

Honestly, I don't know what game some of you guys are looking at sometimes? Throughout the season, half of this Forum is whingeing that Depor has no method of retaining possession and screaming for Valeron to start. So complaining about the Spanish style is hypocritical. Retaining possession, and more importantly having the ability and skill to retain possession, for long periods is a joy to watch in any level of football.

But the Spanish do create chances at the end of it all. Maybe not the amount that Barca do, but they play against Valladolid, Getafe, Xerez, etc week-in, week-out - not against sides of greater quality such as Chile, Germany, etc. So sit back and enjoy it for what it is ffs!

For a period of 26 minutes+ in the first half last night there was not one single foul - a tournament and WC record. Now, that's the kind of football I like to see played. Fair play to both teams for delivering an enthralling (if not super-exciting) game last night.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:55   #889
deporik
Chief of Police

Peña Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepHun
To save attacking football, we need a 6-6 final

If you guarantee a Spain victory in the penalty shoot-out, I'd take that
Old 08-07-2010, 11:59   #890
DepHun
Legend
Peña Member

DepHun is on a distinguished road

Van Bommel is gonna be the one to miss it...
Old 08-07-2010, 12:13   #891
hari

Peña Member

hari is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to hari

it wud be soo cool.. but i'd prefer to see both teams creating plenty of chances but Holland finishing none and Spain finishing all.. Van Bommel missing a crucial penalty wud be the sweetest moment of this WC and wud compensate for any of those ridiculous refereeing decisions or blunders by some GKs.. and once more we agree Kalman..
Old 08-07-2010, 12:22   #892
Filip
Administrator
Peña Member

Filip is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon

- Spain could win both the European Championship and World Cup within 2 years. Germany were the last to do so in 1972 and 1974.

eeuuh, not that i was very happy with that, but what about France??
Old 08-07-2010, 12:30   #893
Leon
Banned
Peña MemberBanned

Leon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for correcting some of my stats!

And it's quite insane if people criticize the Spanish team there. They're one of the few teams who still play an entertaining game. The Germans also did, but mostly using counterattacks with the score in their favour. I noticed there were no yellow cards yesterday. That must be a record too? The Germans didn't really want, the Spanish didn't want to commit suicide. They are a realistic side as well. Just look at their scored form the past 3 matches and the moments they scored: 1-0 (63'), 1-0 (83'), 1-0 (73').

I understand that people form countries as India, Ireland, Belgium, Hungary and Australia sit back and want to see entertaining football because there's nothing for them at stake. But if the Brazilians already stopped entertaining in 1990, who should? Teams like Chile, Germany and Ghana will be remembered for entertainment. When they look at their prize cabinet this year, it's empty.

Nobody likes the player Van Bommel. But everyone would love to have such a type in his team. It's not for nothing he has played in Germany for the past years.
Old 08-07-2010, 13:04   #894
caabrego
Administrator
Peña Member

caabrego has disabled reputation

I don't know what to say. The Netherlands are full of talent, but you have to admit they aren't playing great, actually I think their win over Brazil was their worst performance in years, they were just lucky to find that goal at the start of the second half. And about Spain, yes they have that passing game, but it's also boring since they don't creat too many chances. I just wanted to have Brazil or Argentina in the final.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon
- It will be the first time an European team wins the World Cup outside of Europe. It still stands that only European teams have won the World Cup in Europe. Brazil won the tournament outside of S-America (in 1994 and 2002), but never in Europe.
Brazil won in 1958 and it was in Sweden.
Old 08-07-2010, 13:20   #895
Daniel_Svard

Peña Member

Daniel_Svard is an unknown quantity at this point

wow, some heavy debating here I'm on the pro-spain side, i think spain showed in the 2nd half what they showed throughout the EC2008, and that is a big part of why spain is my favourite (together with mexico) in this WC. They really managed to open up the german defense during the start of the 2nd half and it was such a joy to watch!

As to the germans i think ppl have overrated their games, yes they have been the best team, at least looking at goals scored and conceeded, because they are so effective at counterattacking. But i'm sorry the only team i will ever cheer for that plays a low defense with low pressure and wins games because of counterattacks is Sweden I think it's a shame they kept playing like that because in the end of the game they showed that they can keep the ball and put pressure on the defense without relying completely on counters..

To sum it up, Spain finally showed they are the best team in the tournament, and i'm happy they did, just a shame they haven't showed it earlier.
Old 08-07-2010, 13:48   #896
Feliuk
Administrator

Peña Member

Feliuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Feliuk

Being Spanish and I supposed Biased I really do not get where some people are coming from.
Rik and Rack...(LOL that's funny), say it all for me

FORZA ESPAñA!!

Old 08-07-2010, 14:02   #897
Megalolz

Megalolz is on a distinguished road

The octopus said netherlands will win the final
but i don't really believe that
spain will win
Old 08-07-2010, 15:19   #898
deporik
Chief of Police

Peña Member

I didnt think he had picked yet. He was going to do the 3rd place playoff first and if he wasn't too tired or full up, then maybe the final.
Old 08-07-2010, 16:55   #899
AP
Veteran

Peña Member

AP is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to AP Send a message via Skype™ to AP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalolz
The octopus said netherlands will win the final
but i don't really believe that
spain will win
Sorry to say but you were fooled! After his last prediction came true he must be already boiled and eaten.

P.S. Actually the octopus looks ugly!
Old 08-07-2010, 17:37   #900
deporik
Chief of Police

Peña Member

Noooooooooooooooooooooo

Spain lost 1 game in this tournament and the ref was Howard Webb. Howard Webb is the chosen ref for the final goddammit

(Not that Spain lost BECAUSE of Howard Webb, I'm just really superstitious and see it as a bad omen )