Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > Deportivo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Deportivo Discuss Real Club Deportivo de La Coruña here: its history, matches, Riazor etc.

Old 15-02-2010, 09:12   #211
Leon
Banned
Peña MemberBanned

Leon is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not just because neither Getafe nor Bilbao didn't win this weekend, but I just don't see a reason why those teams will catch us this season even if we're without Filipe.

Based on those results, this weekend wouldn't be that bad. But Sevilla, who have been very irregular, now have a 4-point gap with Deportivo and let's hope Mallorca don't win at Tenerife tonight, because they would have a 5-point gap, which would leave 1 European place to fight for realistically right now (maybe 2, depending on the Copa).

What worries me most is that both Villarreal and Atlético have won. It's evident that their starting line-ups are stronger than Depor. Especially Villarreal have only the Liga to play for, and we play at them in 2 weeks. We can't lose that one.

These are the standings:

4 Sevilla 39
------------------
5 Mallorca* 37
6 Deportivo 35
------------------
7 Athletic 33
8 Getafe 32
9 Osasuna 29
10 Villarreal 29
11 Atlético 27

It's evident that we're not in our best form recently. From our latest five Liga matches, we won 1 (Bilbao), achieved a 1 draw (Malaga) and lost 3 times (Mallorca, Madrid, Espanyol). We scored 4 goals and leaked 8. We haven't scored in the three away matches. In the meantime, we were kicked out of the Copa by Sevilla.

But those results aren't worrying me. After such a fine first half of the season we had, it's logical that someday we would have a setback. And we have fine opportunities in the next weeks to bounce back with home matches against three relegation candidates: Xerez, Tenerife and Valladolid. If we don't lose at Villarreal, that would be excellent. In the meantime, everything we take from Sevilla would be a bonus.

What is worrying me, is the lack of confidence and effort. Confidence has to do with the results lately and the fact we have missed important players. Hopefully the return of Guardado and Riki can make a difference.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 13:18   #212
DepHun
Legend
Peña Member

DepHun is on a distinguished road

eternal optimism of Leon. fine to read it
Old 15-02-2010, 13:51   #213
Diligent
Veteran

Peña Member

Diligent is an unknown quantity at this point

With 5 teams in the bottom 7 scoring the same amount of goals or more than us, highlights our most pressing issue for a side in the top 6.

For a side that has only scored 24 in La Liga, when we concede the first goal we are always going to struggle to get back into the match. Our defence is reasonably fine, but if we continue to create very limited opportunties away from the Riazor, the pressure will always be on the defence.

Whether it is a matter of confidence with Adrian and Bodipo is up for debate, however if they get half a chance in a match like yesterday's they have got make it count. For me, if the goals were double the size they would not have scored.

Last edited by Diligent : 16-02-2010 at 20:00.
Diligent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 08:22   #214
Shelvin
Peña Member

Shelvin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepHun
eternal optimism of Leon. fine to read it
As always!
Shelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 09:32   #215
Leon
Banned
Peña MemberBanned

Yup, I'm optimistic when there's reason to be IMO!

Like last night, when we added another 3 points to our total and in our quest For Europe. Sure, it was a bad match and we'll miss Lopo (suspended) and Riki (injured, again) at Villarreal. But we have to go from match to match.

Usually, having 55 points means a place in Europe. That means we need another 17 points from 15 matches, a little more than a point per match. We have an average of 1,65 now, so that sounds doable.

This is our league now:

5 Deportivo 38
6 Mallorca 37
==============
7 Athletic* 33 (play at home against Tenerife)
==============
8 Getafe* 32 (play at Valencia on Monday)
9 Osasuna* 29 (play at home against Valladolid)
10 Villarreal* 29 (play at Real Madrid)
11 Atlético* 27 (play at Almería)

I don't really consider Osasuna a rival, and I remain having doubts about Bilbao and Getafe. For sure one or two of them will fail this matchday.

My main concern remain Villarreal and Atlético. Villarreal are somewhat more regular. But I'll definitely support Madrid today. Imagine if they lose, we'll have a 9-point lead (which basically is 10 points) when we play at Villarreal next week. And we should be able to avoid defeat.

Villarreal are vulnerable at home this season. From their last five Liga matches at home, they’ve narrowly beaten Bilbao (2-1), leaked two against Zaragoza (4-2) and beat Racing (2-0). Osasuna got away with three points (0-2) while Almería should have won (1-1). Add to this earlier loss of points against Espanyol (0-0), Real Madrid (0-2) and Mallorca (1-1). Furthermore, Celta eliminated them from the Copa at El Madrigal (0-1) and little Puertollano only suffered a 1-0 defeat. In Europe, this week Wolfsburg took a point (2-2) and earlier Salzburg won 0-1.
Old 22-02-2010, 17:22   #216
Leon
Banned
Peña MemberBanned

Well, our rivals didn't disappoint!

Of the teams I mentioned, only Bilbao have won (against 10-men relegation candidates Tenerife at home). Getafe play at Valencia tonight.... Mallorca lost their unbeaten status at home, and lost six points in five days. Osasuna achieved a late home draw against Valladolid, Atletico were without inspiration at Almeria (1-0) and Villarreal were hammered 6-2 at Madrid. Sporting and Málaga now joined the hunt for Europe, but they can't be strong enough.

5 Deportivo 38
6 Mallorca 37
-------------------
7 Athletic 36
-------------------
8 Getafe* 32
9 Osasuna 30
10 Villarreal 29
11 Sporting 28
12 Málaga 27
13 Atlético 27

There's now a considerable gap with most of the other teams, especially if Getafe fail to win tonight.
Old 18-03-2010, 10:56   #217
DepHun
Legend
Peña Member

where are you Mr. Optimistic? your time might have come
Old 18-03-2010, 15:30   #218
Carril
Veteran
Peña Member

Carril is an unknown quantity at this point

I am confident we will get the 3 points on Saturday as our team i finally picking things up and looking like the great team we've been for the most part of the season. Also take into consideration Valladolid are prime candidates for relegation and are in very poor form at the moment. 3 points is a must if we really want a shot at Europe.

Now our rivals:

Athletic-Getafe

Athletic's last 5 games: W-L-D-W-D

Getafe are a very inconsistent team, but on a good day can beat anyone. I'm hoping for the upset here, I'll take a draw although it will be difficult. I'm predicting either a draw or Bilbao win here.

Espanyol-Sevilla

Sevilla's last 5 games: D-D-L-D-L

Sevilla should be morally dead right now, but if they want to play CL next year, they know they have to pick up their game in league. They are away to Espanyol which is always a tough game considering they still aren't safe from relegation. I'm predicting a draw or Sevilla win here.

Mallorca-Atletico

Mallorca's Last 5 games: L-L-W-W-L

Mallorca are one of the strongest home teams, but with Atletico, you never know what you're gonna get. The result here can go either way.

With a win against Valladolid, we will surely pick up points on at least 2 of our 3 main rivals. Lets keep our fingers crossed and hope we pick up points on all 3
Carril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 11:04   #219
DepHun
Legend
Peña Member

we need one more point to avoid relegation. I am not sure where we can reach it...
Old 24-03-2010, 16:57   #220
Rack
Veteran
Peña Member

Rack is on a distinguished road

Well, Europe is now dead in my eyes. It really is inexplicable how this squad suffers bad runs every single year at crucial times. They are not driven and their only goal at the beginning of each year is to stay in Primera. I know some of you guys think that is all we can expect, but not me. In a bad Primera, we are as good as anyone outside of the top 5 (Barca, RM, Valencia, AM & Sevilla) so our goal (at the start of this year anyway) should have been Europe.

Yes, injuries to our left flank have upset us, but it just seems to me that the squad waits/expects for these setbacks to happen. Tactics and player quality (or lack of them) are other issues we've flogged to death before too.

But really, lads, where's the drive, the passion, the goal-setting. I see Lotina has "thanked" the ref of last night's game for galvanising the squad. Surely they should have been united all along??? I expect more fight (literally) over the remaining games.
Rack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 17:35   #221
DepHun
Legend
Peña Member

Well, I don't know whether we have flogged enough about quality. Expect Guardado, Filipe, Adrian, Aranzubia, Dominguez and Perez, I would not mind any of our players departure even tomorrow. The latest 2 as hoping in the future miracle.
I would call Lopo, Tomas, JR, Colotto, Alvarez, and Riki as useful, and replaceable. Average primera players or a little worse.
We have 3 CL veterans, I say time is working against them, and I am sure anyone else not so biased could tell acceptable bad things about them.
If Laure, Ze, Piscu, Juca, Mista, Lassad, or Bodipo leaves this evening, it might be very much a reinforcement.
We are no-where near an EL material.
And this is not the players' mistake that they are weak, but the one that contracted them. So I don't blame the players, or the coach, and I don't wait for outstanding plays and results. Maybe Lendoiro has acceptable financial excuses as well, although I feel that another way.
This is Depor, let's love it!

Last edited by DepHun : 24-03-2010 at 17:37.
DepHun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 17:47   #222
Rack
Veteran
Peña Member

Agree with most of what you said. I'd keep Tomas, Colotto and JR too, as well as the top bracket of players you mentioned. We need youth and potential - where are the Eastern Europeans gone??
Old 24-03-2010, 17:51   #223
DepHun
Legend
Peña Member

On the same places as the non-world-star, but still good South-Americans. Scouting system by Depor? Let's not talk about non-existant things.
Old 24-03-2010, 19:40   #224
dejan84
Banned

Peña MemberBanned

dejan84 is an unknown quantity at this point

rack easteuropeans go to russia and ukraine, better wages than most spanish clubs, and regular wages
dejan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 10:27   #225
Rack
Veteran
Peña Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejan84
rack easteuropeans go to russia and ukraine, better wages than most spanish clubs, and regular wages

Yes, it's a pity because from what I've seen many Eastern Europeans are technically as gifted as the Latins. In general, too, they are fighters and battlers - exactly the type of players we need in our squad.