Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > World Football
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

World Football For other football that's not related to Depor. For example: the Primera División, Segunda División A, Segunda División B, the Champions League, EURO 2008, the World Cup 2010, Italy, England, Germany, Turkey etc.

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 18:10   #901
Filip
Administrator
Peña Member

Filip is an unknown quantity at this point

you should eat more pulpo in that case

just be glad it's not de bleeckere
Old 08-07-2010, 18:16   #902
monkeypuncher
Peña Member

monkeypuncher is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to monkeypuncher

As the son of Spanish immigrants, I'm obviously biased as well. As far as I'm concerned Spain played the way they need to in order to win tournaments. And I genuinely think it's far more entertaining than a lot of the other big tournament winners of the past. The ball is always in play, and you tend to see fewer cards. This is exactly what I'd like to see Depor do in La Liga.
Of course, I'd rather see high scoring matches, but at the end of the day... I REALLY want to see Spain hoisting the cup.
My only real issue is Spain's finishing. They pass when they should shoot the ball, and they shoot the ball when they should pass. It's infuriating.
Old 08-07-2010, 18:41   #903
Leon
Banned
Peña MemberBanned

Leon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I just wanted to have Brazil or Argentina in the final.

Carlos, that sums it up fine for you.... 8-)

Everyone here has its preferences and is biased, and will look for arguments why his favorites should be in the final and others not.

So which team was going to knock out Brazil, always defending with 8 in perfection, with a fine display and a lot of chances? Argentina played an ugly match in 1990 and eliminated them. France either weren't great in the final of 1998 (they scored from corner kicks) nor in 2006. That sums up the eliminations of Brazil during the past 20 years. No team will kick them out and will be superior. Brazil were better in the first half against the Netherlands. But how many opportunities did they create? And what happened to them in the second half, after that lucky goal of The Netherlands? (I'd say it's just clumsy defending of Brazil). They completely lost their mind, and even the smallest player on the pitch could score with a header: another example of clumsy defending. Brazil lost their heads and Melo even went nuts. They were walking, not running. They looked desperate, feeling a whole country watching, instead of being determined.

Sorry for them, but then you're not up to it. A baby like Robinho could better have focused on better performances. In the end, The Netherlands should have won this match 1-4 like the Germans finished of the English and Argentina.

Compare this: Netherlands has 0 trophies and 16 million inhabitants. Brazil have 5 (!) trophies and 200 million inhabitants.

How about the Dutch defence leaking just one goal against Brazil? A goalkeeper who even lost his starting place at Ajax Amsterdam last year. A right back with nothing compared to the career of Maicon or Alves. A central defender from Everton and a veteran without a club(!). At the right someone who was considered way too old, but didn’t have any rival.

Were Uruguay playing such a fine football? I don’t think so. Very effective in the group phase and leaning on a tight defence, with world class upfront. They had a wonder goal to eliminate ‘big’ South Corea and had a huge display of unfairness to eliminate Ghana (deliberately handling a ball to avoid a goal). They scored their goal from a goalkeeper mistake. But, looking at their recent performances and being a small country, who can blame them?

Argentina lost 0-4 against Germany. Bad luck? Argentina were never a team, and that’s what football should be about. They won their first four matches by pure individual class, and when they met a serious opponent, it was over pretty quickly.

Spain, like The Netherlands, at least field an offensive team. Xavi/Iniesta/Pedro/Villa have only the enemy goal in sight, as have Sneijder/Robben/Van Persie/Kuyt. Both count on a tight defensive, two defensive midfielders (Xabi/Busquets and Van Bommel/de Jong) and two offensive side backs (Ramos/Capdevila and Van de Wiel/Van Bronckhorst).

Germany was playing realistic and modern football. They fielded enough offensive players, who were looking for a break. Their passing game in the offensive zone is very nice to so, and they're very effective. But they also weren't up to it. They fell down against Serbia and lost. They fell down against Spain and lost. The Netherlands have been one of the few teams this tournament to come back from behind (against Brazil). When Spain fell down against Switzerland, they lost.

The question on Sunday will be, as always, who will be most effective?

In The Netherlands, the feeling is that the World Cup still has a debt to pay.

In 1974 the team was superior against hosting country Germany, who were given a penalty for a very funny dive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV-H4288yNk).

In 1978, in an intimidating atmosphere in Argentina and the score being 1-1, they hit the post with a few minutes left on the clock

In 1994, the way to the final was blocked by the notorious goal of Bebeto. It was clearly offside, and the Dutch just stopped playing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbhaDnd-5kg

In 1998, Brazil again. The score is 1-1 and the game is in extra-time, when Van Hooijdonk is clearly fouled in the area. No penalty given....

Last edited by Leon : 08-07-2010 at 19:05.
Old 08-07-2010, 19:24   #904
caabrego
Administrator
Peña Member

caabrego has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by deporik
(Not that Spain lost BECAUSE of Howard Webb, I'm just really superstitious and see it as a bad omen )

Marca is already blamming him in case of a defeat. They wrote that Spain lost against Switzerland because of him. Typical of Marca. It's so Real Madrid
Old 09-07-2010, 04:50   #905
hari

Peña Member

hari is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to hari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon
Nobody likes the player Van Bommel. But everyone would love to have such a type in his team. It's not for nothing he has played in Germany for the past years.
oh, Jesus Christ.. dont say that Leon.. surely every team wud love to have players like JR or Mascherano or Cambiasso.. but not Van Bommel.. he is not a tough player, he is dirty.. nobody wud want a dirty player.. dont justify him Leon, please dont..
Old 09-07-2010, 09:31   #906
Rack
Veteran
Peña Member

Rack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon
...In The Netherlands, the feeling is that the World Cup still has a debt to pay...

Nice line, Leon. I'm a neutral for this match, but I'd have to say that I'd hate to see a team/country win the WC Final just because the scales of justice need rebalancing. If the Dutch win it on merit, then I will be very happy for them. Likewise the Spanish side. So good luck to both and may football be the big winner.

The Irish tv pundits have warned all through the tournament that this WC could be decided on a crazy officiating decision, either by the referee or his assistants or a combination of both. I hope they haven't eaten any octopus lately......
Old 09-07-2010, 10:46   #907
DepHun
Legend
Peña Member

DepHun is on a distinguished road

Leon!
After so many occasions you have still not learnt the FIFA rules: small countries like Hun, Czechs, Holland, Portugal cannot win the WC.
And you forgot to mention that the big JC, clearly the best player of the world back then, decided not to go Argentina 1978, because of political reasons...

About nice football also to Rik and Feli: OK, you can accept the way your favourite team plays. But wouldn't you be more happy, if they won in Brazil-1970 style? And in both teams there is the capacity, but they fear so much...

I have just read, that the weather prediction says it is gonna be 0-5 Celsius in Johannesburg for the final.... winter classic

Last edited by DepHun : 09-07-2010 at 11:04.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:20   #908
deporik
Chief of Police

Peña Member

deporik is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepHun
About nice football also to Rik and Feli: OK, you can accept the way your favourite team plays. But wouldn't you be more happy, if they won in Brazil-1970 style? And in both teams there is the capacity, but they fear so much...

Of course I'd rather see free flowing football ending in big wins, who wouldn't?

As I've said on numerous occasions, the Spanish style can be frustrating and in some instances I'd say it's worse for Spanish fans than neutrals when you see a shooting opportunity wasted in favour for a killer pass that doesn't quite get to it's target.

The point though, which too many seem to want to ignore, is that if you have a system that works, wins you games and wins you trophies, why would you possibly want to change it all? (especially this late in the tournament)

I agree that Spain has far more potential to go for a game than they are currently showing but I don't believe there is currently a team that is so much better than anyone else, to be able to go gung ho and still come out victorious. As the old saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

As I've asked before, if Depor found themselves in a Champions League Final or even a Copa Del Rey, after adopting a system of football that worked well for them, would we all be advocating a change of system for the final or would we all be hoping we'd play the same way that had been successful for us.

If the system was ultra defensive, then maybe there would be a few that would say "change" but despite the criticism, Spain do not put 10 behind the ball and wait to pick up scraps when they can get posession. They own posession. If other teams can not get the ball off them, then why do they deserve to go through and Spain not?

So, yes I would prefer Spain to gradually adopt a more incisive approach but I can tell you that I would be more pissed off if we abandoned our gameplan on Sunday and lost because we were trying to show off and be entertaining, then I would if we stuck to the gameplan and lost to the better team.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:23   #909
Filip
Administrator
Peña Member

Filip is an unknown quantity at this point

who was here to say that pulpo picked holland to win?? he didn't!
appearantly he just picked Spain.

not that i give a flying ****, im not supersticious
Old 09-07-2010, 11:27   #910
deporik
Chief of Police

Peña Member

deporik is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip
who was here to say that pulpo picked holland to win?? he didn't!
appearantly he just picked Spain.

not that i give a flying ****, im not supersticious

I am superstitious and that's the best news of the day so far

You're like Father Christmas bringing good news and joy instead of presents
Old 09-07-2010, 12:43   #911
zOrg

zOrg is off the scale

Yeah Paul says Spain and Germany will win
I put some Money on this games!
Old 09-07-2010, 13:30   #912
Crocodile_Dundee
Veteran

Peña Member

Crocodile_Dundee is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd usually be torn who to go for but because all my bets are hinged on Spain winning I've got to go for them. I'm hoping for an attractive game of football with technical excellence but it's just nice that a new country will have the chance to hoist the cup.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:08   #913
deportivofan

deportivofan is on a distinguished road

lol I like it when people say "paul says" when paul doesn't even know whats going on, he's just trying to eat his food
Old 10-07-2010, 12:00   #914
DepHun
Legend
Peña Member

DepHun is on a distinguished road

Lahm and coach Löw got flu, Platini has lost consciesness due to fever...
Pedro and Busquets's hotel room got robbed out...
Old 10-07-2010, 16:53   #915
Paul
Peña Member

Paul is on a distinguished road

I wonder if Paul has decided to pick the wrong teams so that everyone would just get off his back (if he had one).
Closed Thread