Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > World Football
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

World Football For other football that's not related to Depor. For example: the Primera División, Segunda División A, Segunda División B, the Champions League, EURO 2008, the World Cup 2010, Italy, England, Germany, Turkey etc.

Old 22-12-2010, 11:26   #3586
Filip
Administrator
Peña Member

Filip is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepHun
we were off-topic in the Italian thread , and some Belgium guy mentioned to George, Bruges-Anderlecht is not the biggest derby by you. We were just trying out, what else then. But was not Standard Liege a big club earlier in time, than Bruges? I mean, already in the sixties?

describe 'derby'!
Filip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 11:28   #3587
Michał
Peña Member

Michał is on a distinguished road

Sławomir Peszko (Lech) is going to FC Koln. The price will be about 0,5m euro (Croc, if you remember - he is the guy who told "Hello" to us in Poznań in the Campanile Hotel ). Unbelieveable that such a fantastic player is so cheap. I'm very happy for him, but I'm wondering - why a hell Lendoiro is not looking for players in so called "eastern Europe"? There are so amazing and cheap players in Poland, Ukraine, Bosnia, Serbia, Croatia, but still he prefers to buy weak and relatively expensive players for Segunda B...Peszko would be fantastic player for us IMO.
Michał is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 11:54   #3588
ggeorg

Peña Member

ggeorg is an unknown quantity at this point

Amkar Perm, is getting relegated from Russian premier league (event though they were saved in the league table) due to debts!
They were playing in Europa League one season back.

It's not that bad, as FC Moscow that got relegated in the amateur divisions, due to debts, in the previous season.

Beyond CSKA, Zenit, etc, there's another world, in Russian football
ggeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 12:46   #3589
DepHun
Legend
Peña Member

DepHun is on a distinguished road

To George: Yeah, there is the league of teams sponsored by giant oil, and gas-miner companies, or state-banks, or by the Russian railway (Lokomotiv), and there is the other league for all the others. The countryside teams from smaller cities has minor chances, Rubin Kazany is a rare contra-example.

Michal: Don't tell, the presi just wants to contract Rukavina, omg...

To Filip: derby is the greatest match of the country, between the 2 greatest team (with the greatest history at least), with the most spectators, with the highest contra-feelings. Sparta-Slavia, CZ-Partizan, Hajduk-Dinamo Z., Steaua-Dinamo Buc., Slovan-Inter, FTC-Újpest, CSKA Sofia-Levski, Austria-Rapid, Ajax-Feyenoord, Panathinaikos-Olympiakos, Benfica-Porto, Celtic-Rangers, Sahtar - Dinamo Kijev, Ruch-Górnik.
Old 22-12-2010, 13:27   #3590
Michał
Peña Member

Derby are derby, and the greatest match in the country is the greatest match in the country Even though most of people call games between Real and Barca or Dinamo and Hajduk they aren't in fact derby, as derby is the match between local teams, like Ruch - Górnik, Wisła - Cracovia or Barca - Espanyol.
Old 22-12-2010, 15:49   #3591
Filip
Administrator
Peña Member

Quote:
To Filip: derby is the greatest match of the country, between the 2 greatest team

sorry but you don't know what is a derby; no wonder you keep going on

i don't know anybody who call those great matches 'derby'. A derby are geographically local team matches
Old 22-12-2010, 17:03   #3592
Michał
Peña Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip
sorry but you don't know what is a derby; no wonder you keep going on

i don't know anybody who call those great matches 'derby'. A derby are geographically local team matches
Press call matches between Barca and Real as "Gran Derbi", but it's more of a traditional name than real derbies.
Old 22-12-2010, 19:40   #3593
Filip
Administrator
Peña Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michał
Press call matches between Barca and Real as "Gran Derbi", but it's more of a traditional name than real derbies.

well i dont care about press at all, i never heard an actual human being pronouncing that in my face but, as you also told, that is not a derby
Old 22-12-2010, 20:19   #3594
DepHun
Legend
Peña Member

hey Filip!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby_d%27Italia

The derby of a country is the derby of a country. Would you please tell me finally, if Anderlecht plays any (classical) derby of Belgium against either Standard, or Bruges?
Old 22-12-2010, 20:28   #3595
Filip
Administrator
Peña Member

Quote:
hey Filip!

The derby of a country is the derby of a country. Would you please tell me finally, if Anderlecht plays any (classical) derby of Belgium against either Standard, or Bruges?
neither, they play their derby with Brussels

as i wrote, i dont care what the press says. or wikipedia.
Old 23-12-2010, 00:13   #3596
Michał
Peña Member

Quote:
hey Filip!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_derby

There is no such a thing like derby of the country. Even when people call these matches like that it is not, simply because "derby" means local game.
Old 23-12-2010, 10:49   #3597
DepHun
Legend
Peña Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michał
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_derby

There is no such a thing like derby of the country.
tell it to Italians then, please
Old 23-12-2010, 14:25   #3598
Michał
Peña Member

Quote:
tell it to Italians then, please
Well, I can send them a dictionary to let them know what that word means
Old 25-12-2010, 22:31   #3599
deporiginal
Legend
Peña Member

deporiginal is an unknown quantity at this point

I also think derby means a game between local teams, but when I read DepHun's question, I assumed he was referring to the biggest game in our country.

Anyway, the big teams in the first half of Belgian football history, pretty much don't exist anymore. Union (a club from Brussels), Tilleur Liege and Daring Club Brussels were pretty much the big guns until about the second World War. Union and Tilleur are now average clubs in third division, while Daring Club Brussels doesn't even exist anymore. They went bankrupt and turned into RWD Molenbeek a long time ago. Then they went bankrupt too, and now they're known as FC Brussels. A few years ago they were playing in first class again, always battling relegation, and now they've been in second division again for some years. This is the club Filip is referring to. While I agree it's the big game in Brussels, it's hardly a game anyone cares about outside of Brussels. For example, imagine Man City would go bankrupt, then ten years later they return to first division with an entirely different name, stadium, hardly any fans, etcetera, and was always found at the bottom of the standings. I don't think much of the rivalry with United would still be there, aside from some logical taunting on behalf of the Man U fans.

After WW2, Anderlecht took over as the big club in Belgium. They often battled with Standard the first 20 years, until Club Brugge sort of took over from Standard. Now Standard has improved again in the last few years, while Club Brugge has greatly diminished in quality and hasn't even come close to winning the league the last 6 years or so. There are some new teams that are rising in our league now, like Gent, and Genk before them, but they don't really share a big rivalry with other teams (except Genk with Standard, but that's just because of the wildly disputed transfer of Defour from Genk to Standard).

All in all, Anderlecht will probably always be the big team in the country. Their biggest historic rivals have been Standard and Club Brugge. Their rivalry with Club Brugge has been more recent and took place over several decades however, so yeah, Club - Anderlecht is simply the biggest game in our country, no discussion.

Of course, with the revival of Standard, and due to some incidents in the games between these two teams (like Witsel's leg-breaking tackle against Wasylewski last year), the tension between Anderlecht and Standard is rising incredibly fast. I'm sure things will get better in Brugge sooner or later though, and the historical rivalry between the two teams is just too big to be forgotten. While Anderlecht-Standard is very well known for its heated atmosphere the last few years, Anderlecht - Club Brugge is still something special in Belgium.

edit: why are my posts always this long? It only takes me ten minutes or so to write, and then when I post them, they always look a lot longer than I intended

Last edited by deporiginal : 25-12-2010 at 22:44.
deporiginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 21:17   #3600
ggeorg

Peña Member

ggeorg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by deporiginal
I'm sure things will get better in Brugge sooner or later though, and the historical rivalry between the two teams is just too big to be forgotten.

Shorter than sooner, just today, but not from giant Club Brugge, but from Cercle Brugge that defeated Standard by 1-0

A new rivalry on its way, between Standard and Cercle Brugge

Btw Greg, what about the Club-Cercle derbies?
ggeorg is offline   Reply With Quote