Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > Deportivo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Deportivo Discuss Real Club Deportivo de La Coruña here: its history, matches, Riazor etc.

Old 10-01-2021, 02:23   #1
caabrego
Administrator
Peña Member

caabrego has disabled reputation
Default IMPORTANT: The situation of the site for 2021

Hello guys, this is a long post and please read it from start to finish and don’t be lazy

I have to inform you that starting on May 26 the website and the forum won’t longer be available.

Now let me explain two things

1- Since the beginning Leon have been financing everything, at the beginning, when Deportivo was in Champions League, the site by itself was paying the bills, because we had donations and sponsors (google and ekipos), but the money went down as soon as the level of the team also went down. For the past two years Leon paid around $700 and on Monday he told that he will no longer pay the bill. Now by bill I mean the server in which the website and forum is located, currently we have a contract with GoDaddy and it runs until May 25, so since that day the website Deportivo-la-coruna.com and this forum will no longer be online as GoDaddy will erase it from their servers.

2-Now, the truth is thar we neither are happy with GoDaddy. You should remember what happened at the end of last year when they left us offline for two weeks, and they are also responsible for the bugs. Twice I phoned them for this issue, the last time I was on the phone for 30 minutes (it cost me $10) and they didn’t fix a damn thing. So, with Leon paying or not, the option of renewing is a complete no sense.

Now, what’s going to happen? The normal thing is to take our site and move it to another server, but the question is if it’s worthy. I personally can tell you that it’s a massive headache for our previous experience moving the site and it isn’t worthy as only a few people are reading the website, which is not only a thing related to the poor performance of the club in recent years, but also to how the internet has evolved. And that includes the forum too.

Its not too expensive to pay for a new version of the forum (this one is corrupted as many features are failing) and to find a server, but it’s not worthy as only 10-15 dues are writing on it, and in many cases it isn’t a daily thing.

So, Leon suggested me that we should only keep informing via Twitter and Facebook. And I was also thinking of using Reddit. haden07 already posted about the Reddit page for Depor’s fans (https://www.reddit.com/r/Deportivo/). It’s a very interesting format as we can post news and comment on them as it was a forum. And this is free.

We have a couple of months to decide what to do, what are your suggestions?
Old 10-01-2021, 08:22   #2
D.TRISTAN
Seasoned Member
Peña Member

D.TRISTAN is on a distinguished road

I’ve been a manager of Depor fan club in my country for about 10 years. With my experience, using a stable and popular format would be helpful for both directors and members.

Rcdlc.com has been so helpful for me before I don’t understand any Spanish. But I think it’s time to let this site go.

1. Current site has many server problems which directors can’t control. Also this costs too much to keep. Reddit can make you and directors free from those issues. You all have family, job but there’s too much sacrifice here.

2. Current site is too old-styled. Reddit is easy to post, easy to read and provides an optimized view for both computer and smartphone.

I’ve always hoped members can leave a comment in articles directly, not via the fan forum. Reddit can solve this and members will be more active.

3. Reddit is populous format. So it could help new fans come in and old fans come back in a long term.

Respect to caabrego and other directors here. Hope everything goes well.

Last edited by D.TRISTAN : 10-01-2021 at 08:32.
D.TRISTAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 12:02   #3
Filip
Administrator
Peña Member

Filip is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I dont know Reddit - apart from that it exists - and I stopped using FB and social media altogether.
I come to read 2-3 times a week but more often than not that's even a higher frequency than new posts being found I don't post anymore -almost- because I don't have the time and I dont know the actual team anymore. My last post was 'take over deportivo' and that's still more or less something I can stand behind, but time is escaping me right now.

The site: there are two parts. Articles and Forum. What is more valuable? IMO the articles. This could eventually run somewhere at a much lower price, but true is that the technology behind that site is old-fashioned and not very secure anymore. What about exporting the content into a new frame, like Wordpress? If so, I can keep it running on my server most probably.
But that's only a valid question if Carlos wants to keep doing this and writing articles.

The forum is another matter. It's pretty huge, I imagine. Can someone tell me the size of the forum on the server, and eventually also the size of the site without forum?
Thanks!
Filip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 12:56   #4
heidern
Administrator
Peña Member

heidern is an unknown quantity at this point

I am on the same boat as Filip for social media and usage of the site.

For the forum, I can suggest to spin up a self managed instance of discourse. For the size of this community, a $5/month Digital Ocean droplet should be enough.
Setting it up should be a breeze, but exporting the existing posts might be challenging because the current forum runs a very old version of vBulletin and there might not be enough documentation on how to do so.
I'm willing to take care of the setup and the costs in the case of lack of donations. Carlos: if this is something you agree with, then we can discuss details.

When it comes to the articles, there are many possibilities but the range of cost and ease of use/maintenance vary. The ideal setup would be to have a headless CMS to edit/store the articles and light weight statically generated site. I think it would be helpful to know more about the current setup to see if there are parts the can be reused/migrated easily. It is possible to go free or very low cost but it really impacts how the articles would be edited.
heidern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 16:42   #5
american123
Seasoned Member

american123 is off the scale

Upsetting news but not surprising based on what the club has done over the last 10 years. I'd also suggest Instagram as well. There are a lot of great accounts there that are run by 20-25 year olds in Galicia but are only in Spanish. Having an "international" account could be a much needed addition. Interaction can still be done through the comments and it is much easier for the stories to attach videos/pictures. I also believe that some companies may offer some sponsorship opportunities if the page gets big enough that will help with the cost as well for that.
american123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 22:39   #6
Marko
Super-Seasoned
Peña Member

Marko is on a distinguished road

I understand the decision even if it's preety hard for me to accept it.
I'm not posting very often, but I read the site and the forum every day. It's clear that the discussion lost it's quality and the number of active people, but situation at the club is dictating the tempo. Most of the new generations haven't even heard of Deportivo, it's impossible that somebody outside of Galicia will cheer for Deportivo, not to mention the passion that we (who whitnessed the biggest succeeses in the club's history) are having.
It's been a great pleasure to be part of this forum through the years, reading and being part of whole this forum threads. Pitty that I'm coming from a country with low standard and it's almost impossible for me to donate help financially.
Whatever you'll decide I'll try to follow you on another social media. I don't have any experience in reddit site, but I'll try to be active even if we move there. It will be very hard to find any information for Depor matches especially that Depor fan sites are only on Spanish which make things worse.
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 23:35   #7
Tomek
Peña Member

Tomek is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Tomek

First of all, it's a very sad message, but I think all of us will understand this decission. I was an active member of the forum many years ago, bu now it's hard to find time and motivation to write posts. Many of us got married, have children and are busy with their daily tasks. The status of the team doesn't help either. On the other hand, I bet that many of us are still visiting the site every 1-2 days, but we are "invisible". rcdlc.com is still my only source of information about the team, and I'd still love to visit it regularly, even if Depor is suffering and every year is harder. Anyway, as I wrote earlier, I understand the decission and I can only thank all the people who spent years writing articles for the website.
Indeed, the cost of the server was huge! If we use a Polish one, I think we would pay yearly around 25€ for the server and another 20€ for the domain and that's all. If we'd like to keep existing model, maybe we could migrate the website to wordpress on a different server, but I guess it would not include all the existing articles as it would be too hard to do. We would just start a brand new site with the same address, but with a new, modern layout. I have no idea about the forum. Maybe comments under articles in wordpress would be enough for us to keep the discussion. This solution would be quite easy to implement.
I don't know reddit. I know it exists, but I even don't know that is the role of this service. I think it might be not too popular, but I may be wrong.
Changing the model for Facebook would be fine, but not all of us have FB, so they will lose the possibility to read and comment the articles.
Old 11-01-2021, 04:05   #8
caabrego
Administrator
Peña Member

caabrego has disabled reputation

Thanks for the comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip
The site: there are two parts. Articles and Forum. What is more valuable? IMO the articles. This could eventually run somewhere at a much lower price, but true is that the technology behind that site is old-fashioned and not very secure anymore. What about exporting the content into a new frame, like Wordpress? If so, I can keep it running on my server most probably.
But that's only a valid question if Carlos wants to keep doing this and writing articles.

The forum is another matter. It's pretty huge, I imagine. Can someone tell me the size of the forum on the server, and eventually also the size of the site without forum?
Thanks!
To be honest I am feeling discouraged to continue writing stuff, just watch today’s game and you end up pissed and not wanting to do it. Also, the fact that not many people read the stuff makes you wonder why you do it in the first place.

About the forum, I think it’s like the triple of space compered to the website. I tried to check in GoDaddy but that feature wasn’t working when I entered (surprise )
But you can erase old posts and substantially reduce the space.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:30   #9
ggeorg

Peña Member

ggeorg is an unknown quantity at this point

Not going with the sentimental fact as well, that this was a family for may years, blah, blah...

realistically this has to change.

We can use the experience of other similar platforms as well...what has happened to the forum of riazor.org for example?

I very much support the idea of using a popular platform (like reddit, or instagram) and using the format of "sort" articles and comments below.

Carlos you have done an enormous job throughout the years, i can understand it's impossible to be keeping on like this (with the articles), but the articles could be reduced to a shorter form (like an extended zapping).

A short review of the game/comments below...a declaration of the manager/comments below...a transfer rumor/comments below

I think this can work better
ggeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 12:30   #10
Tjorni
Almost Regular

Tjorni is on a distinguished road

I think that reddit is a better option. But my opinion could be biased because I don't use any social media for news reading. Reddit is simple, content could be created by anyone willing to do it. It's discussion structure is clearly better than FB or IG. Including possible memes, images, topics of our faded glory. It's something not very appropriate to a serious forum, but could help international Depor community to stay alive and survive these dark times.
Quote:
Carlos you have done an enormous job throughout the years, i can understand it's impossible to be keeping on like this (with the articles), but the articles could be reduced to a shorter form (like an extended zapping
).
Totally agree with the amount of work, it's something just beyond my comprehension. I think it's possible to analyse which articles are more popular and which are not. For example, I always read reviews of game and Fabril's game, but doesn't interested at all in Female team news (only read something like season results).
And about the rest of the site - it's totally understandable decision, maybe it will be worth to save a domain for some years, put it on parking tariffs and just put a redirection link to wherever platfrom will be chosen.
Tjorni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 14:09   #11
Vatex
Seasoned Member

Vatex is on a distinguished road

I think we all have facebooks. it will be enough if we make depor fan group or something and we all will join it. not many people posting here. 10-15 active member. for me facebook will be enough.

carlos you are hero what you have done in these years. posting news every day especially in this hard period.
Old 11-01-2021, 18:06   #12
Marci 14
Seasoned Member

Marci 14 is on a distinguished road

To be honest, for me it will be a massive blow. I don't speak spanish, while in my country only a handful people know what is Depor actually. Therefore, for years I had nothing, but this site to follow the team, read the comments and expression, while I couldn't discuss the latest news with anybody. That is why I was over the moon when I had the possibility to register here.
I can't imagine the enormous work behind the scenes to keep this page alive, but as the costs are higher than the benefits it is the logical thing to stop here.
That is why I already joined to the reddit site, it is really good with daily new content, so its a good alternative imo. FB is also a good option and as a last resort I can use google translate.
I can say nothing, but thank you for your magnificent work through the years and really hope that somehow and somewhere this group will stay together.
Old 11-01-2021, 23:00   #13
Filip
Administrator
Peña Member

Filip is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by caabrego

About the forum, I think it’s like the triple of space compered to the website. I tried to check in GoDaddy but that feature wasn’t working when I entered (surprise )
But you can erase old posts and substantially reduce the space.

Feel free to PM me the login again, I guess it has changed since the last time. I'll have a look.
Filip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 23:14   #14
DepHun
Legend
Peña Member

DepHun is on a distinguished road

sad news

thanks Carlos for all the efforts
Old 12-01-2021, 11:34   #15
Shelvin
Peña Member

Shelvin is on a distinguished road

Feels like the end of an era. Thank you Carlos for all your efforts. I am going to miss this place but I guess all good things must come to an end.
Shelvin is offline   Reply With Quote